Companies monitoring facebook posts?

The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
so we had a bad experience with sears yesterday...they didn't show up to repair our dryer like we had scheduled. me and the fiance both posted angry messages on facebook about them in frustration....a couple hours later my fiance gets this random message from someone claiming to be from sears "customer care." here is what she got:
--
Hello,

My name is Marcus with Sears Cares escalation team and I want apologize for our service technician’s being late. I would like to discuss the issue futher with you if possible. At your convenience, please contact our office via email at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:searscares@searshc.com">searscares@searshc.com</a><!-- e --> so that we can look into this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and we will call you directly. Also, please state that you were contacted via face book. Look forward to speaking with you soon.

is this is a scam? has anyone gotten a message from a company like this on facebook before? should we bother responding? it just seems pretty odd that she would be contacted from someone claiming to be from sears in such a short amount of time. something seems fishy...........thoughts? opinions?
www.myspace.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,032
    edited July 2010
    It does seem strange that they would further delay speaking with you by asking for you to email THEM and wait fror thenm to read that then repond by phone. . Rather than providing a phone number for you guys to deal with this a soon as possible. Maybe set up a throw away email account and see what happens?

Plenty of things fishy about this. What security settings do you have? are they set for friends only? Lock that shit down, man.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    mickeyrat wrote:
    It does seem strange that they would further delay speaking with you by asking for you to email THEM. Rather than providing a pjone number for you guys to deal with this a soon as possible. Maybe set up a throw away email account and see what happens?

good idea. i thought that was weird too...
    www.myspace.com
    mickeyrat wrote:
    It does seem strange that they would further delay speaking with you by asking for you to email THEM. Rather than providing a pjone number for you guys to deal with this a soon as possible. Maybe set up a throw away email account and see what happens?

good idea. i thought that was weird too...
    see edited post.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    couple other things. THEY were asking you to help them make it right? Asking YOU to email THEM so they can call you?Thats odd.
    Dont ya think they would have access to the work order with a contact number for you on it? and just call you direct if the tech stated you weren't happy?
    Seems odd to me that this message you received didn't have a phone number included for you to callthem and rip them a new one. CSR , fuck that job , man.

• __ Posts: 6,651
    I agree that it does seem odd. But it could be legit. Companies are all over Facebook these days. I think it's funny that he's supposedly part of the "escalation team".
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,696
    Seems weird that the tech can't get out to your house for the repairs, but somebody at the company can respond to negative comments on Facebook in no time what so ever. Instead of paying the tech to monitor facebook, fire him and hire another tech to get the job done. Then no one will say bad things on facebook
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I just read an article today about companies monitoring Twitter for complaints about their service. One guy had a problem with hotmail and wasn't getting anywhere for 3 days, and once he tweeted about it, he got a response in under an hour. What I do not recall was the method of contact, so your thing could be legit, but its hard to tell. I think the idea of setting up a throwaway email account is a good idea, but of course be cautious about what other info. you give out until you are confident.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    JaneNY wrote:
    I just read an article today about companies monitoring Twitter for complaints about their service. One guy had a problem with hotmail and wasn't getting anywhere for 3 days, and once he tweeted about it, he got a response in under an hour. What I do not recall was the method of contact, so your thing could be legit, but its hard to tell. I think the idea of setting up a throwaway email account is a good idea, but of course be cautious about what other info. you give out until you are confident.

Man, I talked all kinds of shit about Dell on my FB account in the past year. If only I had known Twitter might have gotten me some results!!
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    is this is a scam? has anyone gotten a message from a company like this on facebook before? should we bother responding? it just seems pretty odd that she would be contacted from someone claiming to be from sears in such a short amount of time. something seems fishy...........thoughts? opinions?
    What are you talking about? Everything on the innerwebs is legit ;)

I agree with mickeyrat though....lock down your facebook security