I hate bar chords!

mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
edited July 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm an obvious newbie when it comes to guitar. I've been taking a class every weekend since November, but i still have sloppy strumming, choked chords, and I absolutely hate bar chords. They sound like ass whenevr i attempt them. I have a five-year plan with this class. If i can't play (not practice) the guitar within that time span, then i'm done. I'm very frustrated and i just had to vent.
"Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    yeah, barre chords can be a bitch when you're starting out. one things that may help is to not bar the chords at all, but rather play them with the index finger on the high E or B instead. get used to that & then start barring them with your index finger.

example:
    F
    not barred: 033210
    barred: 133211

try it out...it may help. then again, it might not. just be patient. you've only been playing for a little over half a year. keep at it, you'll get it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    hang in there, it gets easier.... try playing only the top three strings of the chord, and leaving the bottom ones open. for example when playing an E-major barred at the 5th fret:

E|----0
    |
    B|----0----|
    G|----7----|
    D|----7----|
    A|----5----|
    E|
    |

or just:

E|
    |
    B|
    |
    G|----7----|
    D|----7----|
    A|----5----|
    E|
    |

instead of

E|----5
    |
    B|----7----|
    G|----7----|
    D|----7----|
    A|----5----|
    E|
    |
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Take your time and ease into them.

An important thing to remmeber is there are lots of different ways to play the same chord. Find what works for you. Also, I strongly recommend "Fretboard Logic" as a training tool. You will be amazed at how many easy shapes there are to play the same chords.

Have fun! ;)
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • TriumphantAngelTriumphantAngel Posts: 1,760
    don't get disheartened. happens to every guy sometimes this does. well, that's what a wise jedi once said!

i'm hoping if you are taking classes like you said, then your teacher has already checked out your guitar to make sure that it has a soft enough action for you and you are not pressing too hard. if not, do you know a tech that can check your set up, or someone else who can check it's suitable for a beginner? barre chords can be a bitch, especially while you are just starting out and using all the muscles that you are not used to using, but you just need to stick at it and keep practicising. you will get there.
  • Greetings! My name is ryan. I own and operate my own music school "evolution music studios" and I am the head guitar teacher. Too bad u r too far away I would have u rocking in a matter of weeks not years! I am in pa though. Come down give me two hours and ill change ur life!

Anyhow-i will give you a few tips on how to deal with barre chords.

First, hand position. Your first finger need to be straight to the third knuckle. Do not bend it at the second knuckle. The outside of your hand (which normally faces the floor) will also come out more and face forward. Have you seen a capo before? If so, this is what you need to make your first finger and thumb look like. I tell my students to make their hand look like an alligator mouth that is about to chomp down.

Second, you need to have your fretting hand properly rotated. To acheive this I came up with something I call "the rotation exercise". Basically this exercise forces your hand into proper position. To start, place your first finger on the fifth fret
    Then place each finger on its own fret until all four fingers are fretting a note. 1st finger 5th fret, 2nd finger 6th fret, 3rd on the 7th and 4th on th 8th. At this point your big knuckle line should be straight with the neck.
    Holding don all notes, play the fourth finger note. Lift up your fourth finger and play the 3rd finger. Lift up the 3rd, playthe 2nd. Lift up the 2nd, play the 1st. Do not let go of the 1st note, place 2nd back down, play it. Place 3rd back down, play it, place 4th back down, play it. Repeat on every string. When u get comfortable doing this at the 5th fret move down to 4th fret. In a week or so u should be down to first fret. This exercise was key to helping one of my students who could no get barre chords. Sounds great now.
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    phungi wrote:
    hang in there, it gets easier.... try playing only the top three strings of the chord, and leaving the bottom ones open. for example when playing an E-major barred at the 5th fret:

E|----0
    |
    B|----0----|
    G|----7----|
    D|----7----|
    A|----5----|
    E|
    |

or just:

E|
    |
    B|
    |
    G|----7----|
    D|----7----|
    A|----5----|
    E|
    |

instead of

E|----5
    |
    B|----7----|
    G|----7----|
    D|----7----|
    A|----5----|
    E|
    |

i recommend this

a powerchord

thank you pete townshend

i think it sounds better than a barre
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    (I've got blisters on my fingers!)

If you can, practice on an accoustic and then playing the electric will then feel easier and more comfortable.

I think they pretty much suck for everyone in the beginning. I used to only play on accoustic and in the beginning, the strings hurt like razors.

Don't worry, you'll build callouses and then will be able to fly around much better without any pain and with much better sound.

What's that saying? Location, location, No, I mean practice, practice, practice, callous.