Intonating A Gibson Les Paul

PearlJamsterPearlJamster Posts: 102
edited July 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have got a gibson les paul, and everything on it is perfect, good neck good action, no buzzes but the d string is a little sharp when i check the intonation at the 12th fret, all other strings are perfect. I am comfortable with adjusting the saddle back a bit to get it perfect, but I don't know if by doing that will the guitar then need a truss rod adjustment bridge (etc), or will all that stay good if I adjust that d string saddle? any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Should be no problem at all. That's exactly what they are there for.
  • PearlJamsterPearlJamster Posts: 102
    I know but also the truss rod is there for a reason bridge etc, and if you mess with certain things sometimes you have to go back and adjust other things as well, im comfortable with saddle adustment for intonation cause you really can't screw up a guitar with that but a truss rod I wouldn't even wanna mess with. especially on my les paul.
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    truss rod adjustment is ONLY for a neck adjustment (e.g., bowed)...

it is very easy to adjust the intonation for a single string... linkety link link
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I know but also the truss rod is there for a reason bridge etc, and if you mess with certain things sometimes you have to go back and adjust other things as well, im comfortable with saddle adustment for intonation cause you really can't screw up a guitar with that but a truss rod I wouldn't even wanna mess with. especially on my les paul.

If you have the string tension and action the way you want it, the only thing left is to intonate it. If you can play the neck up and down comfortably and in tune with no buzzing or fretting out the neck is in pretty good shape.
  • PearlJamsterPearlJamster Posts: 102
    ok I did it, I slowly moved the saddle on the d string back and re tuned it, perfect all six strings are now in tune with the 12th fret thanks for your info guys appreciate it!