Baltimore Ravens Restrict Autographs

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I don't have an issue with it...you get some dorky autographers or ones who are selling the autographs

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ph-policy/

Ravens revise training-camp autograph policy
Posted by Mike Florio on July 13, 2010 4:46 PM ET
The Baltimore Ravens announced today a change in their training-camp autograph policy. Beginning this year, players will sign autographs after morning practices only -- and the autographs will be available only for children from six to 15 years of age. (Rosenthal is pleased that he made the cut.)

At first, we thought the new policy seemed a little cold and heavy-handed. But the explanation offered by Ravens president Dick Cass makes sense.

"We have considered changing the way we do autograph signings for a few years,"Cass said. "Our crowds for the morning practices have become so large that we've had safety situations with people pushing each other to try and get closer to the players. Often times, children would be put in difficult positions with the rush for autographs, especially from our most popular players."

After each morning practice, roughly one-third of the team will be available to sign autographs. The other players will be lifting weights or participating in a core workout.
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Thats not cool.. you cant prohibit people from gettingautographs based on their age...

They can make a "kids autograph section - No pushing".. but they cant ban older fans...
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I have absolutely no problems with this...

I used to work at the Pittsburgh Penguins practice facility, and A LOT of the autograph seekers were the middle aged guys who had boxes of 8x10's in their cars... pathetic people...

I remember Ronnie Francis used to only sign for people if he personalized it... and he would overlap his signature with the personalization so it would be tough to resell it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    FrankieG wrote:
    Thats not cool.. you cant prohibit people from gettingautographs based on their age...

why not? a player can't decide who he wants to sign his autograph for?

At least they are making this public, so when Joe Flacco doesn't sign some 40 year old guy's crap, they can't be too pissed.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • jnaughtjnaught Posts: 74
    FrankieG wrote:

They can make a "kids autograph section - No pushing".. but they cant ban older fans...

They can and, apparently, they have!

Though I love Baltimore, I hate the Ravens; however, they nailed this one - great rule!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I have absolutely no problems with this...

I used to work at the Pittsburgh Penguins practice facility, and A LOT of the autograph seekers were the middle aged guys who had boxes of 8x10's in their cars... pathetic people...

I remember Ronnie Francis used to only sign for people if he personalized it... and he would overlap his signature with the personalization so it would be tough to resell it.

We go to Spring Training every year and you see the guys with bats,8x10's,balls

I've even seen the Dad forcing their kid to get another autograph because the Dad already got one

If an older guy is there for their child then personalize it to the kid..autograph nerds make me sick!
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    any 40 year old dude seeking autographs from an 22 year old dude is just wrong.

that said, i did score a few MLB autographs as a mid 30 year old dude, but within a month, i had given them all away for free.

let the kids have at it.

but if i catch a foul ball, i'm keeping it. :lol: kids be damned.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    and A LOT of the autograph seekers were the middle aged guys who had boxes of 8x10's in their cars... pathetic people...

I didnt think of it that way. I was thinking the 16-19 year olds...
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    A LOT of the autograph seekers were the middle aged guys who had boxes of 8x10's in their cars... pathetic people...

I work for a newspaper in Ann Arbor and Bradon Inge (3B for the Detroit Tigers) and his wife put on a cancer fundraiser two weeks ago. They had Brandon, Brennen Boesch, Max Sherzer and Detroit Lion Jeff Bakus all signing autographs. You had to make a $5 donation to get a card for them to sign (all the $ went to the charity). For every card you bought, you could get one addition item signed.
    Sure enough, some middle-aged guy shows up and buys $200 worth of the cards and has the players tied up signing hats, jerseys and posters for like 30 min...

One cool thing though- Brandon Inge, who isn't known much around the league, but is a stand up guy in Detroit, signed a ball for my son (at the time my son was only two days old) and he personalized it for him. Then he stood and talked to me for like 10 minutes about how great it is to be a dad and to enjoy every minute. It will be a nice thing for my son to have as he grows up and a neat story to be able to tell him later.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    81 wrote:
    any 40 year old dude seeking autographs from an 22 year old dude is just wrong.

that said, i did score a few MLB autographs as a mid 30 year old dude, but within a month, i had given them all away for free.

let the kids have at it.

but if i catch a foul ball, i'm keeping it. :lol: kids be damned.
    My rule-of-thumb is to never ask for someones autograph if they are younger then me. Otherwise, you are a weirdo. Also, once you turn 18 years of age, you CANNOT bring your mitt into the stands anymore. You are now a man and real men catch fouls ball with their bare hands.

But the Raven's real motive is probably to prevent the local prosecutor from collecting DNA swabs while posing as autograph seeking fans. 8-)