Can someone recommend a pedal...

chorduroychorduroy Posts: 72
edited August 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Playing a strat out of a fender frontman 65R and looking for a little more thickness from the drive channel. THe drive channel is just OK but it seems too trebley even after adjusting the bass and mid knobs. Im not looking for a heavy metal/death metal sound.. Looking for a pedal that may fatten up the sound a little and give me something more similar to PJ....obviously a tube amp would get me there but I dont have that kinda doe right now!.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    "Fulltone OCD" or zvex "box of rock" should give you what you are looking for. not sure how great they sound with a solid state amp, but they are the basis of my dirty/overdriven tone for all of my tube amps. the box of rock is basically a vintage marshall jmp overdriven tone in a stomp box and it has a clean boost for leads/solos. you can turn the pedals on and turn the tone knob down some and it will take some of the high end/treble from your amp down a little bit. really you can not go wrong with either one and/or both.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 321
    Ah! I have a similar question is someone can help... my brother is 40 in a few weeks and I thought I'd splash a little. He has become more involved in a local music scene where he lives focused on rock covers/pub bands etc. Seems to be something of a collective. I think he is using a Marshall amp and an Orange valve pre-amp(?). Has a few pedals but thought I'd get another for him. He tends to play Epiphone and other versions of Guitars and, I think, currently has a Les Paul copy, a Strat copy and some semi-acoustic thingy.

I took him to see PJ for his birthday last year and he commented on how Mike 'dropped' his fender to heavyier tone. Searching around here and on tinternet I have found the Keeley modified TS9 Tubescream, seems to be two versions thereof.

Does this sound like the kind of pedal that would give what he liked in Mike's sound? I have been watching youTube gear reviews and this seems to be a respected pedal.

Also, given he plays local halls and pubs with mates, part of the appeal is likely to be in the 'gearhead' aspect as well. It does have a cool blue light too...

Any help appreciated, also, which of the two is better. One seems to have an extra thingy... is it worth it?

Alternatively another recommendation would be fine too. The prices I saw for the TS direct from Keeley were £150 and £180 respectively (I think).

Thanks
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Hi Dave,
    Yip the Keeley modded Tube Screamer gets a good rap on these baords and Mike uses one.
    He also used a Boss BD2 (Blues Driver) also modded by Keeley. That ones a slight more punch in my opinion.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    A blues driver or a super overdrive is a good one to try. They usually cohabitate well with solid state amps.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Isn't it the case that, very generally speaking, distortions seem to work better with solid states than overdrives? Just because an overdrive is more or less just boosting the input of the (tube) preamp and the distortions do it within the unit? It's a little late over here and I'm really in no condition to make an educated contribution right now but I seem to remember it that way.
  • timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 321
    Thanks for the tips.

I phoned the Keeley peeps in the UK and spoke to the most helpful chap. He recommended the TS something or other flexi but also said they has a no quibble return/exchange policy even if opened and tried and, further, that if an additional gizmo was required he would 'do a deal'.

Not often you get such good service on a distance sale these days... :o

Recommended. :D
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • chorduroychorduroy Posts: 72
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    A blues driver or a super overdrive is a good one to try. They usually cohabitate well with solid state amps.

Thanks Pacomc....Im going to give the blues driver (prob both) of these a try....there are plenty of them out there on ebay at the moment...
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Yeah, the Tubescreamer family of pedals don't typically work well with solid-state amps. I used to think my first TS-9 sucked when I was playing through my original Fender SS amp, or the Peavey I replaced it with. But when I got my first tube amp, I totally got it.

The Boss family of pedals sounds much better with SS amps. A Tubescreamer is meant to push tubes, not make a SS amp sound like it has tubes. Indeed, that's what any good overdrive SHOULD do.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Boss BD2 or a Bad Monkey by digitech
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
    Check out the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive/Distortion. The Jekyll side is like a Tube Screamer with a bass boost.
    10/23/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    10/24/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    07/11/11, Paramount Theater, Oakland, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show)
    10/22/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show, 25th Bridge School Benefit)
  • sfish521sfish521 Posts: 16
    i have a mxr m66 classic overdrive that i play through the same fender fm 65 ss amp and i love the tone
    Spectrum 10.30.09+10.31.09
    sfish521 wrote:
    i have a mxr m66 classic overdrive that i play through the same fender fm 65 ss amp and i love the tone
    MXR makes some pretty BAD stuff....and by "BAD" I mean good...
    sfish521 wrote:
    yeah i'm completely sold on their pedals... i really want to get a dyna comp and i know mccready uses the phase 90 so that will probably be the next two pedals i get
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    sfish521 wrote:
    sfish521 wrote:
    yeah i'm completely sold on their pedals... i really want to get a dyna comp and i know mccready uses the phase 90 so that will probably be the next two pedals i get
    I use my Dynacomp as a quasi overdrive... Boost the volume, gives a punch without any more gain.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    chorduroy wrote:
    Playing a strat out of a fender frontman 65R and looking for a little more thickness from the drive channel. THe drive channel is just OK but it seems too trebley even after adjusting the bass and mid knobs. Im not looking for a heavy metal/death metal sound.. Looking for a pedal that may fatten up the sound a little and give me something more similar to PJ....obviously a tube amp would get me there but I dont have that kinda doe right now!.
    go to guitar center and look at the MXR M-66 Classic Overdrive. They had a sale recently and were selling it for $29.99. As far as I know they are the exclusive dealer of this pedal and it was a "special run". The pedal isnt listed on jimdunlop.com anymore either. It has incredible tone and plays well with a solid state amp.(I have the same one as you and playing the pedal and the amp overdrive channel side by side sounds like a day and night difference. If you can't find it at guitar center, you'll have to dig a bit deeper into your pocket and try the ebay solution. there's plenty of reviews/demos on youtube to get an idea of the sound. here's an ebay auction in case if you want to get it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MXR-M-66-Classic-Ov ... _740wt_930
    chorduroy wrote:
    Also take a look at the Marshall Guv'nor. It NAILS PJ.
  • chorduroychorduroy Posts: 72
    Thanks to everyone for the awesome advice...much appreciated. So, after all of the advice and tips, the pedal I chose to go with is................Got sidetracked and havent got it yet!..haha :lol:

But based on what Ive read here and heard (youtube demos) Ive narrowed it down between the Boss BD2 and MXR M-66 Classic Overdrive...
  • doctor zdoctor z Posts: 12
    An Ibanez groove tube works great with a Fender twin reverb or similar tube amp .
    "I'll do this one myself."
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    Been a while since I played my solid state fender, but I used to run a Big Muff into it, and I remember it sounding decent, but I don't know.
    chorduroy wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for the awesome advice...much appreciated. So, after all of the advice and tips, the pedal I chose to go with is................Got sidetracked and havent got it yet!..haha :lol:

But based on what Ive read here and heard (youtube demos) Ive narrowed it down between the Boss BD2 and MXR M-66 Classic Overdrive...
    here's an m-66 for $40 on ebay if you decide on that one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MXR-M-66-Classic-Ov ... _500wt_947
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    I love my timmy and would recommend it, especially for stratocasters. If you are short on cash, Danoelectric cloned it and calls it a transparent overdrive.
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • chorduroy wrote:

BD2 is the most versatile pedal IMO. The Marshall Guv'nor 2 is a good PJ pedal. Good luck.
  • DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
    chorduroy wrote:

I strongly reccommend at least trying out the Jekyll and Hyde, I didn't think I was going to like it, but I liked it a lot more then any other distortion and overdrive pedals.
    10/23/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    10/24/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    07/11/11, Paramount Theater, Oakland, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show)
    10/22/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show, 25th Bridge School Benefit)