Options

concerning santa god......

yellowbirdyellowbird Posts: 184
edited December 2007 in The Porch
which is apparently a song about childrens belief in santa and then finding out he is not real.
so how did you find out he wasn't real and was it a traumatic experience?

i was in the fourth grade and a boy on the school bus told me. i remember asking my mom if i should believe in santa ot not. she said i should believe in whatever i wanted, so i said i wanted to still believe. but i think i really knew the truth. i don't remember feeling terrible or lied to. i just accepted it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I don't remember how I felt, but we let our son know two years ago, when he was 9, and he said he felt betrayed. Then two days later, he was making jokes about it.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Haha... well, my parents always told me that present giving was a collaborate effort between parents and Santa. So when I was 8, I asked my dad and y mother (separately) who bought this one present. He said Santa, and she said they did. Also, my dad made these videos of them "capturing" Santa on video, that were blatantly obvious, even to a 5 year old, that it was him dressed in a suit.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I was about 4 and i was shopping with mum and she bought my sister a madonna tape. Xmas day the same madonna tape ended up in my sisters santa sack. I couldnt help but cry. Then mum and dad went to great lenghts like put santa footprints at the chimney (strangley had the same size shoe as my dad what r the chances) and put possum poo on the verandah dor the reindeers.

i pretended i knew for yrs so that i could wake up and 2am and get my presents.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    I realized there was no Santa very early and w/ my own logic.

about the same time I knew there is no god.
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    what the fuck do you mean Santa's not real???

you're a fucking liar!
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Smellyman wrote:
    about the same time I knew there is no god.

Topic will explode in 5...4...3...2...
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    I wasn't sure so I told my older sister that I knew and she confirmed it. then I was sad I had done that :(

My kids saw the same wrapping paper their Santa's present came in "hidden" in the garage. Oops! I tried to act surprised it was there but the cat was out of the bag!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yellowbird wrote:

after listening to the song.... the experience was more uplifting than anything
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Options
    My sister's saw my mum and dad wrapping presents one night and the next day they told me that Santa wasn't real. I was only three and I cried.
  • Options
    I must've been five when I thought 'Hey, that Santa going round giving us all presents looks REMARKABLY like my best friend's dad.' I must've twigged then...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I honestly have no recollection. Clearly I wasn't scarred for life.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    As far as finding out that Santa isnt real:

I was very confused. I actually found out because i realized the easter bunny wasnt real (when i discovered my holiday basket in the closet a week before easter) and then i knew automatically none of it was real. I didnt believe in "god" either because i thought it was just another made up character.

FUCK

thats a lot to handle at 5 years old!

I dont think id do the whole santa thing if i ever had kids though...
  • Options
    yellowbird wrote:
    which is apparently a song about childrens belief in santa and then finding out he is not real.

i was in the fourth grade and a boy on the school bus told me. i remember asking my mom if i should believe in santa ot not. she said i should believe in whatever i wanted, so i said i wanted to still believe. but i think i really knew the truth. i don't remember feeling terrible or lied to. i just accepted it.

I wasn't sad at all unlike most kids. I felt like I had found out one of my parents' deepest secrets and was very proud of myself.
  • Options
    When I reached 5th grade, i just sorta thought it out, and asked my mom honestly if it was true or not, she said no, and life went on.

quite a boring story, however, my bros experience is not.

he wanted a sega genesis more than anything on earth that year. my dad thought a geo safari globe quiz was more educational, and so he got that for my bro. my bro saw it on christmas morning, and knew.
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Options
    I don't think the song is about a child finding out about Santa. I think the song is about an adult remembering what it was like when nothing else in the world mattered except the excitement of Christmas. I think that's pretty obvious. Also someone said on another thread, and it makes perfect sense.. That Eddie is seeing now seeing his child around Christmas, a child that knows whats actually going on, not like a 1 or even 2 year old that is basically oblivious. Eddie probably wrote the song about him, while watching her. Could be wrong on that, but it does make sense.

As for the actual question.. I sort of figured it out on my own around the age of 9 or 10. Maybe even sooner. To be honest, I can barely remember a time when I thought Santa was real.. lol

My last recollection of believing in Santa was waking up my little sisters telling them that Santa came and ate the cookies they made.
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    Haha... well, my parents always told me that present giving was a collaborate effort between parents and Santa. So when I was 8, I asked my dad and y mother (separately) who bought this one present. He said Santa, and she said they did. Also, my dad made these videos of them "capturing" Santa on video, that were blatantly obvious, even to a 5 year old, that it was him dressed in a suit.
    My parents did the same thing with the videos...though i thought they were real...I was such a gullible child:) But I don't remember learning santa wasn't real...I think I just found out on my own some how.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    last year my son, who was eight at the time, straight up asked me because of things he had heard from his friends. i couldn't lie. and you know, i think he was a little sad, but all in all he was okay with it.
    my other son found out on his own and never really said a word about it. so i guess it didn't phase him much.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    yellowbird wrote:

I don't remember the point at which I found out he wasn't real.

The most vivid memory I have related to Santa Claus was a year my sister and I were small and heard him talking in the hall by our bedroom door. We peaked out the door and saw a shadow...we couldn't get to sleep at all that night! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    i was six years old, and found all the presents hidden away and neatly wrapped in a closet...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"