Vinyl Help

skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
My apologies if you were expecting something kinky... This is actually about record collecting.

I don't think I'm barking up the wrong forum when I come out and say that CD's seem to have outlived their usefulness. As it is, I have a few hundred CD's. I rip them onto my computer and then I might never play them again - I even burn new ones if I want to keep them in my car or somewhere else. So what's the point? As available as mp3s are these days, I'm still compelled to keep buying CD's, which seems silly.

So I've decided to turn my attention to vinyl. At least it's a different sound than CD vs mp3. Problem is, I don't even own a record player anymore. That's what my question is about: what should I know? Is there anything I should look for or avoid in a turntable?

And what about the albums? I'm not necessarily looking for investments, and I intend to actually play these things. But how do I tell original pressings from reissues? Where is a good place to shop?

I know I'm asking for a lot of information, but I thought I'd just throw out the dragnet and see what I get. Thanks for any help.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    try to find a receiver with a phono setting. Most stereo receivers will have them, if you can't find one make sure your record player has a built-in preamp.

This might be obvious, but the best place to shop is a record store. You can buy stuff online but you never know how the record will turn up post-shipping. Record stores give you the assurance that the record condition will be just as good when purchased as it is when you get it home.

If you live in N. Dakota and there's zero record stores around you I would buy from an online record stores, since they're bound to put more care into packaging albums (cough....easystreetrecords...cough). You can also buy albums straight from the record label, band websites, or from insound. But, I would avoid amazon.com or other sites that dont specialize in selling music.

original pressings are all based on serial numbers, you can look them up if you really give a damn, but if you're not looking to collect, who gives a shit? If you're looking to strike gold by owning an original pressing, the best thing to do is buy the album when it first comes out. Else, you'll just be paying high dollar for something you just want to play.

And avoid buying picture discs. Their sound quality is compromised when the graphic gets put on the vinyl. A lot of unnofficial bootlegged vinyl gets put onto picture discs
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • skippybrewskippybrew Posts: 283
    Beauty. Thank you!

Amazon is usually my go-to order site, so I'll try somewhere else... And I go to "record" stores anyway for CDs. That's half the fun of it.

I have a receiver, but it doesn't have a phono setting - so that's good to know.

I know my question was pretty broad, so thanks again, for indulging me.