Options

Run for Congo Women

curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,291
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello charitable and physically active fellow fans:

While I was relaxing with the latest issue of Runner's World last night, I read one of the most disturbing and horrifying articles I ever have encountered. You can find it here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7 ... -0,00.html

The article discusses a run organized in DR of Congo for women who are survivors of the ongoing violence and atrocities. Races are held in the U.S. and the UK to raise funds for (and awareness of) these women. You can find information about participating in or organizing these races here: http://www.runforcongowomen.org/index.html

Since we as a group seem to be an active and generous lot, I thought I would bring this organization and the women it helps to your attention.
All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    For them, the Run for Congo Women wasn't a sporting event but "a chance to come together," as one woman put it. "And when we are together, we are strong."

this gave me goosebumps

good for these women, i couldn't imagine living in a place like that.
    makes me appreciate where i live even more!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    SarahLouSarahLou Posts: 175
    I have been aware of the atrocious situation in the DRC for many years now, as i have been working with several international development charities. i have never heard of this "run for Congo Women" though, so thanks for bringing it to our attention!
    As i have said before, i'm from Glasgow, but living in Chicago for the summer...SO i have decided to start a team! to run the 5k in Chicago on the 2nd of October

Come join my team!!

I have ran lots of event s before and a 5k really isnt too bad, and there is plenty of time to train. So whos in???
    men, women, anyone! lets run together! In honour of me starting this team because of the Board, my team name is gonna be "Given to Fly"

A video for inspiration and motivation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeMkMlXk3NM
  • Options
    SarahLou, thanks for taking the initiative and starting a team!

My son and I already were planning to organize a 5K to benefit our state Tourette's association (son has TS), but now I am motivated to organize two races. If anyone in northern NJ has interest in working on something like this, please PM me.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    **bump**