Options

The Strike Is Finally OVER!!!

JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Six days shy of a year and the strike is finally over! My husband can now go back to work and we can get on with our lives. I've learned a lot in the past year including, our Canadian government are sell outs, we need the anti-scab law passed again in Ontario and unions are useless. After three potential contracts and the union telling the members to vote NO, they finally used their heads and voted 75% in favour last night and now they have pretty much the same contract as was offered to them back in March. So thanks for nothing USW and thanks to the government for selling us out to an international company and the 2nd largest mining company in the world.

Now 3000 people can move on and our town can get back to normal, the tension in my house will disappear and we can finally try and make a baby :D
If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Jukee wrote:
    Six days shy of a year and the strike is finally over! My husband can now go back to work and we can get on with our lives. I've learned a lot in the past year including, our Canadian government are sell outs, we need the anti-scab law passed again in Ontario and unions are useless. After three potential contracts and the union telling the members to vote NO, they finally used their heads and voted 75% in favour last night and now they have pretty much the same contract as was offered to them back in March. So thanks for nothing USW and thanks to the government for selling us out to an international company and the 2nd largest mining company in the world.

Now 3000 people can move on and our town can get back to normal, the tension in my house will disappear and we can finally try and make a baby :D

Yay, Jukee! Glad to hear it, what an awful experience.
    Good luck with the babymaking!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    make a baby you say....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    make a baby you say....

Yes, do you have any pointers?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I manage construction projects and last year our Carpenter Local decided to strike for a $3/hr pay raise ... in the middle of a recession. The other trades didn't honor the picket lines for very long because the Carpenters crossed the Electricians lines a few years earlier.

So they kept striking for 6 months and settled for a $1/hr raise. Awesome! $52K in lost billable hours per employee for not working for 6 months. So of course, everyone ended up getting screwed (owners / construction companies / workers). It was evident that it was a losing proposal for the union two weeks into the strike but the ego's of the union heads kept the farce going for six months!

I lost most of any remaining respect I had for unions at that point. I like that they provide a strong and skilled workforce but they do not take the best interest's of their workers into account. They are very much like organized criminals.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Really pleased for you and your hubby -great news!! :D
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,803
    Everybody in the good ole USA has taken a beating the last 2-3 years....

Pay cuts...
    Slashing of hours....
    Lost pensions...
    No 401k.....
    blah blah blah..........

But the union construction workers doing our highways in Chicago, have announced a strike.....

These guys are making $40-$50 an hour and are asking for a 15% raise over the next 3 years????

I hope each and every one of them loses their fucking job...........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I manage construction projects and last year our Carpenter Local decided to strike for a $3/hr pay raise ... in the middle of a recession. The other trades didn't honor the picket lines for very long because the Carpenters crossed the Electricians lines a few years earlier.

So they kept striking for 6 months and settled for a $1/hr raise. Awesome! $52K in lost billable hours per employee for not working for 6 months. So of course, everyone ended up getting screwed (owners / construction companies / workers). It was evident that it was a losing proposal for the union two weeks into the strike but the ego's of the union heads kept the farce going for six months!

I lost most of any remaining respect I had for unions at that point. I like that they provide a strong and skilled workforce but they do not take the best interest's of their workers into account. They are very much like organized criminals.

You couldn't be more right, they are like organized criminals. I have no faith in unions anymore, not after all this. They drove it in their heads for a year to not accept concessions and not to let the company win but then all of a sudden they say that their hands are tied and to accept it because they are not going to get a better contract. Oh well you make the bed you lie in and when the next election comes up i'm sure the president won't be voted back in.
  • Options

Pay cuts...
    Slashing of hours....
    Lost pensions...
    No 401k.....
    blah blah blah..........

But the union construction workers doing our highways in Chicago, have announced a strike.....

These guys are making $40-$50 an hour and are asking for a 15% raise over the next 3 years????

Wow that's horibble. I can't believe how greedy people can be. Think about all the money they will lose while on strike, so is it really worth it? The money we lost in the past year could have almost payed off our mortgage.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Jukee wrote:
    81 wrote:
    make a baby you say....

Yes, do you have any pointers?

Coitus. 8-)

Seriously though, congrats. I'm glad to hear of your struggles, and those of others, finally have a light at the end of the tunnel. Enjoy a new chapter in your life. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

Pay cuts...
    Slashing of hours....
    Lost pensions...
    No 401k.....
    blah blah blah..........

all to repave roads that were not needing of repavement. (290)

have they gone on strike...maybe that's why they haven't done any work on schaumburg road for the past two weeks.

i'm just glad there is money in the county budget to put up signs on schaumburg road that says, this project brought to you by Todd Stoger. fucker.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg