Options

Screaming Trees

Electric_DeltaElectric_Delta Posts: 977
edited July 2010 in Other Music
Are there any Screaming Trees fans out there? I don't hear much about them on the board.

If you do like them, name your favorite song and album.

I would say "All I Know" for the song, "Dust" for the album. :D
Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Cant go wrong with Shadow of the Season, IMO.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    whitesidewhiteside Posts: 85
    Dollar Bill off Sweet Oblivion. Great band.
    Slane - Jul 10, 1993
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    M.E.N. Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The 02 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
  • Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    IMO, easily the most underrated band of the 90s. Just as talented as PJ, SG, AIC, etc. Lanegan is one of my all time fav singers. I have pretty much everything they ever made, whether commercial or unreleased material. :)

Glad to see a few fellow ST fans on here.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i think lanegan has proved a more versatile/creative musician outside of ST

he is always a great fit on QOTSA stuff... that darker mood just fits him better than the poppiness of ST

but i still love them!

gotta love "dying days" (with mikey), "alice said", "troubled times", and "dollar bill"

i cant wait for what this guy does next!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Love them, Mark Lanegan is the perfect live singer. So luck to have seen him twice this year already and 2/3 more to come!!!
    2009 - Shephards Bush, Manchester, London
    2010 - Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter
    2012 - Manchester 1+2, Berlin 1+2, Stockholm, Oslo
    2014 - Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    i think lanegan has proved a more versatile/creative musician outside of ST

he is always a great fit on QOTSA stuff... that darker mood just fits him better than the poppiness of ST

but i still love them!

gotta love "dying days" (with mikey), "alice said", "troubled times", and "dollar bill"

i cant wait for what this guy does next!

I agree the darker moods fit him better but I think his work with ST is actually a great example of how versatile he is. Yes they were more of a pop band but if you listen to sweet oblivion and then listen to Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, the style difference is incredible. I guess the same goes for listening to some of the earlier Trees records vs the later ones too. I think this is one of the reasons I never get sick of listening to Lanegan. There is a Lanegan project for every single one of my moods! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I agree the darker moods fit him better but I think his work with ST is actually a great example of how versatile he is. Yes they were more of a pop band but if you listen to sweet oblivion and then listen to Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, the style difference is incredible. I guess the same goes for listening to some of the earlier Trees records vs the later ones too. I think this is one of the reasons I never get sick of listening to Lanegan. There is a Lanegan project for every single one of my moods! :mrgreen:
    agreed! he's got the gospel/soul stuff... hes got the poppier stuff... the rock stuff... the country stuff with isobel

I'm glad he's as busy as he is

• Options
    Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
    Favorite song would be "Troubled Times" for sure.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    My first ST album was the SST Records Anthology which is really Doors'y I think and Sweet Oblivion is my favourite of the later albums. The Secret Kind is really intense and I Nearly Lost You is so anthemic. Would love to see a reunion but ML seems to have too many other projects for that to happen. Not complaining though because everything he does is high quality!! My favourite ML performance is the ST's cover of Peace In The Valley which was on the b-side to Dollar Bill.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Dust is such an amazing album.

could listen to "all I know" all day long"

really like "dying days" and "time traveler" alot too. My 3 faves off the album.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    whiteside wrote:

damn dollar bill IS good
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    MM180489 wrote:
    Favorite song would be "Troubled Times" for sure.

Def one of my favs as well; right up there with Grey Diamond Desert. It would be sweet if we could get proper remasters of all the ST albums, especially the earlier ones 8-)
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    The Other Worlds EP is my favorite.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Dust is an absolutely perfect album in every sense of the word, not a duff song on there. My favourite is probably Look At You or Sworn & Broken.
  • Options
    In the late 90's I had a tickets to see Screaming Trees in a tiny venue in Reading England. I wasn't able to go and its one of the biggest live music regrets of my life. Strangely I still haven't managed to see Mark Lanagen live either... damn and thrice damn!
    Take a bottle, drink it down, pass it around
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,287
    Gotta love Screaming Trees! (and anything else ML does!) My favourite track is probably 'Shadow of the Season' but 'Dollar Bill' is a close second. ML has been playing an awesome version of 'Where The Twain Shall Meet' on his solo tour as well

I first heard them when Nearly Lost You was on the 'Singles' soundtrack I think - another example of how great that cd is.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    whiteside wrote:

God, I love that song.

Screaming Trees rock. Sweet Oblivion and Dust are my favorite albums.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    goldrush wrote:
    I first heard them when Nearly Lost You was on the 'Singles' soundtrack I think - another example of how great that cd is.
    :thumbup:

GREAT soundtrack.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    what’s not to love great band wish i had, had the chance to have seen them live, songs like sworn and broken, dollar bill, winter song and the epic no one knows are all pieces of brilliance, going to listen to them now, "All the while you've been sleeping drifting on a wind never blown tomorrow you'll wake up aching wondering how, when no one really knows"
  • Options
    mattseattleusamattseattleusa North Idaho, USA Posts: 346
    I have been saying for a while now, this is the next band that really needs to try and reunite.
    I will not lose my Faith, it's an Inside job today....
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't mentioned More or Less. That's always been one of my favorite Trees songs.
  • Options
    a bit off topic but what lanegan solo stuff do people recommend? i havent heard much of him outside screaming trees

EDIT: Just saw the thread dedicated to his solo stuff
  • Options
    a bit off topic but what lanegan solo stuff do people recommend? i havent heard much of him outside screaming trees

EDIT: Just saw the thread dedicated to his solo stuff
    ALL OF IT

start with bubblegum i guess... the rest of his solo stuff kind of sounds the same (in a good way)... and then get the 2 gutter twins albums... and the 2 with isobell campbell... and everything he has done with QOTSA... and then from there you can dig around for smaller collaborations

the guy is incredibly busy... THANK GOD :D

• Options
    sensisensi Posts: 73
    I love the Screaming Trees...out of all the bands of that ilk they're the only ones my husband really likes...it has led on to a lengthy collection of all things Lanegan related...the man can't put a foot wrong as far as music goes as far as I'm concerned...his voice is just amazing...you can "feel" it as well as hear it.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense
  • Options
    niallniall Posts: 244
    Dust is a great album and features Mr McCready on a track. I also dig Sweet Obilivon. Great band and worth checking out. I know a few of their early releases are being released on Vinyl soon too. 8-)
  • Options
    I would like to see remasters of their whole catalog.

It would really be sweet to see a Deluxe Edition of Dust packed with all sorts of goodies and such.

Hint, hint ;)

Unlikely, though, since the album is officially out of print.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • Options
    niallniall Posts: 244
    Yeah, I would love Dust on 180gram Vinyl.
  • Options
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I'm kind of surprised someone hasn't mentioned More or Less. That's always been one of my favorite Trees songs.

"Gonna go to that deep river" :) Great tune. Their cover of Tim Rose's Morning Dew is great too. Strangely enough, 'Caught Between' came across my iPod this morning on the way into work. Song rocks
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    RIP Van Conner! 😢
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA