Diet and Health.

2»

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Lizardjam wrote:
    I know everyone says you'll eat your veggies eventually but until I was 32, I never believed it. I started doing the SB diet and was sorta forced too. But, with creative cooking, some of them do taste good. If you cook asparagus and broccoli or cauliflower with thin steak and spices, it's good. If you grill it with some lemon and parm cheese it's delicious. I would have never touched a green veggie before. Green beans? One of the most disgusting veggies on the planet! Put them and tomatoes in chili, the kind of chili that simmers for a couple hours, you don't even taste the nasty part, they taste like the chili and they're good. Cucumbers....put lemon and that chili powder that has lemon and has lemon and salt in it, delicious! Seriously, I still wouldn't touch a single one of those veggies plain. But creative cooking and spicing goes a long way to making them edible, or unbelievably, tasty!
    Any advice for a good starter (i.e. SIMPLE ;) ) cookbook? I once chopped the end of my thumb off trying to make salsa to give you an idea of who your dealing with (the thumb ended up growing back :thumbup: )

I'm also a firm believer that anything thrown into a chili pot turns into chili after several hours. Although I share your opinion on green beans and I might have second thoughts on throwing them into my precious chili!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    scb wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    First, my body entered its third decade on this planet and the rumors are true . . . you do start to slowly break down.

Did you have to remind me of this first thing Monday morning? :|
    It's better then reminding you on Friday! :wave:
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Jason P wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    I know everyone says you'll eat your veggies eventually but until I was 32, I never believed it. I started doing the SB diet and was sorta forced too. But, with creative cooking, some of them do taste good. If you cook asparagus and broccoli or cauliflower with thin steak and spices, it's good. If you grill it with some lemon and parm cheese it's delicious. I would have never touched a green veggie before. Green beans? One of the most disgusting veggies on the planet! Put them and tomatoes in chili, the kind of chili that simmers for a couple hours, you don't even taste the nasty part, they taste like the chili and they're good. Cucumbers....put lemon and that chili powder that has lemon and has lemon and salt in it, delicious! Seriously, I still wouldn't touch a single one of those veggies plain. But creative cooking and spicing goes a long way to making them edible, or unbelievably, tasty!
    Any advice for a good starter (i.e. SIMPLE ;) ) cookbook? I once chopped the end of my thumb off trying to make salsa to give you an idea of who your dealing with (the thumb ended up growing back :thumbup: )

I'm also a firm believer that anything thrown into a chili pot turns into chili after several hours. Although I share your opinion on green beans and I might have second thoughts on throwing them into my precious chili!

The one I used was the south beach quick and easy meals. It's mostly meat and veggies, some whole grains, and few desserts. A lot of the meals are really good but you know what? I looked online and found the best things online. I have cookbooks coming out of my ears yet I find recipes to make online daily. There's a really good site called smittenkitchen.com that I get recipes from and tweak. They have an asparagus and chicken with three cheese dish that's so good i just keep it to parm and cheddar, i skip the third cheese(I think it's goat).

I never thought of adding veggies to my chili before. I got the most awesome turkey chili recipe from my grandma and never tried tweaking recipes before. I was a baker not a cook by any means. I could make chicken in the oven and that was the extend of it. But, I started cooking meals for my boyfriend and found I liked it. So we started the South Beach diet and I was cooking nightly. It's very easy. I always thought it was hard. But, yeah so anyhow, I actually tried throwing broccoli into the chili this last time and it was good. I'll be honest, I really don't like broccoli or cauliflower but dressed up, I do. I made cauliflower in a baking pan with some olive oil, red pepper, and some italian seasoning, and it was actually good! Just one piece of advice to everyone, don't ever make cauliflower mash. It's disgusting. It's no sub for real mashed potatoes. It just isn't. They lie.

I know this isn't a food thread, so my apologies for getting off track. I'll add that I did add some refined carbs back into my diet and I really did feel it. It's amazing what a difference your body goes through when you eat crap. I also can't ever see getting fat. I weighed 20lbs more than I do now and that was fat for me and what a difference it made. I can't imagine being a lot more overweight.

Johhny america...I park as far as i can. I need the walk! :) I hate people who wait for up front parking spaces because they're lazy. Hate it! I would get very mad when I had my grandma in the car, who can't walk far, and people are parking in Handicap that don't need it, when she does. People feel so entitled. No one thinks about anyone but themselves anymore. Very sad.

OHH! One last thing, I went to Universal Studios this weekend. It should be renamed to Land of the FLAB. Everyone was fat. Almost EVERYONE!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I am going to have to assess everything I do soon.

I tore a calf muscle and 2 hamstring muscles early in the Spring and havent been able to do much of any exercise. My calorie intake has remained the same, maybe increased... Usually Im distance running, playing baseball, hockey, walking the dog, etc.... Havent been able to do much in about 4-5 months.

Im almost healed and I want to make it an opportunity to really create some new, good habits.