Stand Up Comedy

Still In HidingStill In Hiding Posts: 370
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
does anyone here write/perform stand-up? about a month ago I started writing a routine and I'm getting close to finishing it. If there's any comics on here, I'ld love to hear advice on writing and booking shows
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't. Lucky for you, you're in the breadbasket of comedy, so you can jump in with both feet. I think the best way to get bookings is to start doing open mikes. Over and over and over. There are lists on-line that show open mikes around Chicago. Plus, you can't go wrong by taking a couple classes at Second City (writing, stand-up, auditioning, improv, etc.).

You better be funny, I don't want to feel like I wasted the last 5 minutes writing this for you.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    does anyone here write/perform stand-up? about a month ago I started writing a routine and I'm getting close to finishing it. If there's any comics on here, I'ld love to hear advice on writing and booking shows

Iv never performed but over the past month iv been coming up with a routine. My only problem is how to deliver my stuff. I'm a very shy person and I think I would have to become a different person on stage. A different personality.
    I'll be back
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    my cousin is a pretty successful up and coming chicago standup... he MC's at zanies a lot and tours the midwest... and i think his buddy has some ties at second city... if you put together a sample of your stuff I'd be happy to get it to him and see if he can pass it along or give you notes

its no easy hobby or lifestyle for that matter... but if you've got what it takes it can definitely be rewarding and lead to some cool opportunities

I'd love to try it myself but my style is a little too dry / white collar... would much rather write for a show or something like the onion
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • thanks everybody for the advice so far! I looked into some open mics in the area but most places seem to be 21+ (and im 18)
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    thanks everybody for the advice so far! I looked into some open mics in the area but most places seem to be 21+ (and im 18)
    call ahead... i was able to talk my way into some of those places before i was 21 to see shows

if they're actually interested in comedy they'll know the value of getting started at a young age
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I've been performing stand up comedy for about 2 years now in NYC. My only advice on writing is do it as often as you can. Even if you don't know how something will work out (i.e. a funny scenario, situation, sentence,etc) write it down. You'll be happy you did. As to getting bookings tell everyone you know. Open mics are good for practice and developing a stage presence. Also it's a great place to meet bookers who can book you time or at least give you the oppotunity to "bark" for a spot. Not sure about Chicago, but in NYC the one thing that open mics are not good for is determining if your material is funny or not. The reason being is that most open mics are only attended by other comedians. It may be a stereotype but it is true that most comedians are self-loathing, depressed individuals who would rather poke their eyes out that laugh at someone else who is funny (or could be perceived as 'funnier' than themselves). The cure for this when you're first starting out? Have a couple of friends/family members that are brutally honest with you that won't bullshit you if you say something that isn't funny. My best friend will flat out tell me "that is fucking stupid". I usually think he is wrong and will try it out on an audience (usually having tweaked it at this point to make it funnier). He along with a couple of other friends have been great guides as to the formation of a joke even making suggestions on a single word change that could make all the difference. Usually this sparks the creative juices and I'm able to come up with something even better. That's my $.02. I wish you well and realize that even if you bomb, keep at it!!! I've bombed and I've killed often times with the same material! Just depends on the crowd and your delivery! Best of luck!!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"