My recent European trip

unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I wanted to mention this because it was a topic of conversation recently for me at a pub in London. I flew there and caught the London and Berlin shows and then I also flew to Ukraine to do a tour of Chernobyl. While the trip itself was great the final flight home is why I am writing this because I was so flipping embarrassed on this flight. I'm also guessing it was nobody from this website so I guess consider this my rant.

On this flight from Dusseldorf yesterday I witnessed behavior that rivaled the behavior of the London crowd at Hyde part, however since I am not a Brit this one hit home. This plane was full of high school aged kids that to be blunt acted the fool. I've never witnessed such childish, immature behavior that so thoroughly caused myself to be ashamed. The comments made were simply the most idiotic things I've heard, things like jokes about peoples race, color, and religion. Then on approach to our final US destination, when a bit of turbulence caused the plane to shift a few times, there were screams from these young adults like they were on a roller coaster ride. One fat, open mouth breathing youth proclaimed, "uh huh we're all gonna die, huh huh." I finally had to turn around and remind him that he was a representative of the US and he should act like it. I don't think he got it.

So please remember while on any type of tour you should be ambassadors for your country. You are a representative.

I hope this one girl in particular made it safely home because she was so relieved the border agent would speak "American". Honey do us all a favor and don't travel anymore. There are those of us who have to clean up your mess when we travel abroad.

I should also mention these two groups that numbered about 15 people each had on two shirts, one group wore German Language Exchange shirts, the other wore Fulbright Scholar shirts. I would have thought them to be smarter than the average child.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    that stinks man, unfortunately wherever you go in the world there will always be idiots. When I encounter them I do my best not to take such people as being representative of their entire country. We know you yanks aren't all like that ;)

I know how you feel though, when I visited California a couple of years ago, the staff in the hostel I was staying in told me about a group of Irish people who had stayed there a couple of weeks before. Apparently, they were loud, abusive, constantly drunk off their tits, they wrecked their rooms etc etc etc. They were kicked out fairly sharpish, but I find myself apologising for these people who I had never met. Made me ashamed to be Irish.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Hairy DaneHairy Dane Posts: 205
    unsung wrote:
    ... I hope this one girl in particular made it safely home because she was so relieved the border agent would speak "American". Honey do us all a favor and don't travel anymore ...

Made me laugh out loud.
    At least you had a cool trip, and I tip my hat to you for your Chernobyl-tour. I made mine a few years ago.
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    Yes the Chernobyl tour honestly was the highlight. I'm thinking about going back for a private tour and staying in that Chernobyl hotel for a night so I can have two days of exploring.

It is pretty cool to say I've been there, not too many have in the grand scheme of things. I was kind of hoping for some type of passport stamp but they don't do that.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    unsung wrote:
    I wanted to mention this because it was a topic of conversation recently for me at a pub in London. I flew there and caught the London and Berlin shows and then I also flew to Ukraine to do a tour of Chernobyl. While the trip itself was great the final flight home is why I am writing this because I was so flipping embarrassed on this flight. I'm also guessing it was nobody from this website so I guess consider this my rant.

On this flight from Dusseldorf yesterday I witnessed behavior that rivaled the behavior of the London crowd at Hyde part, however since I am not a Brit this one hit home. This plane was full of high school aged kids that to be blunt acted the fool. I've never witnessed such childish, immature behavior that so thoroughly caused myself to be ashamed. The comments made were simply the most idiotic things I've heard, things like jokes about peoples race, color, and religion. Then on approach to our final US destination, when a bit of turbulence caused the plane to shift a few times, there were screams from these young adults like they were on a roller coaster ride. One fat, open mouth breathing youth proclaimed, "uh huh we're all gonna die, huh huh." I finally had to turn around and remind him that he was a representative of the US and he should act like it. I don't think he got it.

So please remember while on any type of tour you should be ambassadors for your country. You are a representative.

I hope this one girl in particular made it safely home because she was so relieved the border agent would speak "American". Honey do us all a favor and don't travel anymore. There are those of us who have to clean up your mess when we travel abroad.

I should also mention these two groups that numbered about 15 people each had on two shirts, one group wore German Language Exchange shirts, the other wore Fulbright Scholar shirts. I would have thought them to be smarter than the average child.
    Well they may have been smarter but kids are immature and get them in a group and its even worse, you know. What about frat boys!
    Youth feed off of each other and act more like kids then. I wouldn't be so hard on them, individually many are probably pretty cool and if not yet they will be soon.
  • sensisensi Posts: 73
    When children behave like children...as this lot were doing..they think they're being cool...in their tiny immature not yet formed brains they think acting like a complete prat gives them kudos when in fact it just makes them look exactly what they are which is silly and childish and ridiculous...nobody is laughing with them they're laughing AT them but they can't see that...they're not a reflection on you or your country they're a reflection on themselves but they're not old enough to realise that...one day they will look back on that day and cringe...we have all done it...who hasn't looked at photographs of themselves...or video footage...and thought "what WAS I bloody thinking?"...I know I have. :oops:

It doesn't matter what school or college they go to...that has chuff all to do with how much of a dickwad they're being...sometimes it's the kids from the strict expensive schools that behave the most like feral animals when left to roam free.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Hairy Dane wrote:
    unsung wrote:
    ... I hope this one girl in particular made it safely home because she was so relieved the border agent would speak "American". Honey do us all a favor and don't travel anymore ...

Made me laugh out loud.
    At least you had a cool trip, and I tip my hat to you for your Chernobyl-tour. I made mine a few years ago.
    i laughed too.

the other day my bf and i drove down to the seattle outlet malls ...when we were in line to buy some shoes the people in front of us (about the same age, in their early 20's) were asking where in Canada....was Guam? "I think its a territory" says the clerk.... and they were all serious!!
    i'm losing hope for your youth!!! ;)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,834
    Here's how my European Trip went

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeoX8MZd81E
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Alas, I too had some bad experiences with American citizens on my recent European travels...

A guy I 'chatted' to in Belfast:

Me: Oh you're from the US! Where from? :)
    US guy: Erm... America? :roll:
    Me: LOL it's kind of a big place, where in the US? :D
    US: Florida. :|
    Me: So have you come over just for the PJ shows?
    US: Yeah. :|
    Me: So are you on the PJ interenet forum at all? :)
    US: Whut? :problem:
    Me: Do you post on the Pearl Jam forum? ie. would I know you? :)
    Me: Never mind, I was just asking if I would've known you from the internet.
    US: I don't know what you're saying to me. :problem:
    Me: OK nevermind. Great to meet you *tries to shimmy away quickly*
    US: No, what's great is America... and you should learn that all Americans are great by default. :D
    Me: :problem: You're a wanker. *leaves*

US mom talking to her daughter at the Topography of Terror in Berlin:

Daughter: What is that doggy wearing in that photo? *points to picture of SS guards with a rather angry dog in a muzzle*
    Mom: That's called a muzzle. It's for nasty dogs.
    Daughter: I've never seen one before.
    Mom: That's because German dogs are nasty... American dogs aren't. The German people trained their dogs to attack Jews in the war. That doesn't happen in America.

Same Mom, but to her husband this time:

Mom: Why the hell do you feel the need to go into every fucking museum we see? Who really goes to Berlin and just looks at history?! It's so depressing, why do they feel the need to show all this?

I have no problem with America or it's citizens, but damn, it was my encounters with them that got etched in my memory the most.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Oh dear Sian. Thats bad!!! Who goes to Berlin for the history? :roll:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I go to Germany for the neckties.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Alas, I too had some bad experiences with American citizens on my recent European travels...

US: No, what's great is America... and you should learn that all Americans are great by default. :D

Daughter: What is that doggy wearing in that photo? *points to picture of SS guards with a rather angry dog in a muzzle*
    Mom: That's because German dogs are nasty... American dogs aren't. The German people trained their dogs to attack Jews in the war. That doesn't happen in America.

Mom: Why the hell do you feel the need to go into every fucking museum we see? Who really goes to Berlin and just looks at history?! It's so depressing, why do they feel the need to show all this?

I have no problem with America or it's citizens, but damn, it was my encounters with them that got etched in my memory the most.
    HAHAHA!
    At least you probably never get, "Oh, you're from Vancouver? Do you know Justin?"
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Alas, I too had some bad experiences with American citizens on my recent European travels...

i would have knee'd him in the face. :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    haffajappa wrote:

HAHAHA!
    At least you probably never get, "Oh, you're from Vancouver? Do you know Justin?"

I've had that from one of my wife's relatives from Brainerd, Minnesota... she asked me if i knew someone in Edinburgh simply because he had the same surname as me... instead of saying no politely i just told her that of course I did as everyone in Scotland with my surname meets up every 5th Sunday for haggis and golf days.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    :lol::lol::lol: Sian.i didnt have those type experience with US people..i can imagine your smile in the beggining and the look in your face in the end :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    btw..OP how was the experience from the shows?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Damn, I was really hoping for a story like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7POJjKRzTh8
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.