My doctor thinks I might have a heart problem...

PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm a bit freaked out about it, I mean im only 17.
Anyone else gone through heart issues?
Shows:
Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    my cousin had chronic heart problems since he was a baby... but i don't wanna bog ya down with worst case scenarios

hope its nothing too serious, mate

eat well, get exercise, all that good stuff :)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Oh, so sorry to hear this. I hope that it's nothing too serious. I can completely understand that your freaked right now. I know it's not easy, but it's really important to try not to stress too much, especially until you know for sure. Once you know, then you can make a plan regarding how to deal.

(((Hugs & good vibes)))
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I'm a bit freaked out about it, I mean im only 17.
    Anyone else gone through heart issues?

I don't have heart Issues, But I have had Crohn's Disese since I was 12. I am 19 now.
    I have handled it very well in my opinion.
    If you have any specific question, definitely PM me.
    As far as the freaking out part, you just need the right mindset. I don't know your exact situation, but if you think positive, positive things will happen.

PM me!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,577
    what are your symptoms?
    www.myspace.com
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Oh I hope not Kidd, but better to know than not know, keep us up to date.
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I've never had any heart issues myself but I work on a Cardiac Floor and have seen many patient's with heart problems. Medicine has advanced so drastically in the last 20 years that i've seen patient's as old as 85 go through open heart surgeries without any complications. I've also seen many young patients who come in with heart issues and they don't have to have anything done surgically or if they do they don't have to have it done until they are much older and they live a happy and healthy life. I wish you all the best and please keep us updated.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Ditto
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I'm the first generation of patients with Tetralogy of Fallot to make it past 28, and I'm 41 and counting - Yay me! I rock, I know.

The last time I had open heart surgery was 35 years ago - again, I rock, thank you.
    I had open heart surgery 2x, and started with a heart shunt at 21 months.

I've lived kindof cautiously as I don't want to EVER EVER EVER visit the ICU again. I've done my time, if you know what I mean.

I still have an enlarged heart because one side of the heart works harder than the other. 1 hole - the kind you dont' have to sew up. I had 4 that you do sew up. One side of the heart gets 65% of the blood and the other gets 35%, and the norm is at 55/45% split. Let's see . . . sluggish, has leaks.

My heart sounds great for someone with tetralogy of fallot. It may look abnormal, but it's been my version of normal for going on 42 years, and I don't have problems breathing. I can work out. I have 2 heart murmurs, and the cardiologists don't even reference them as they are so minor compared to anything else. I haven't seen a cardiologist in 10 years. I think they have done all they could do. Remember they don't know what to do with someone with tetralogy of fallot who lasted this long.

What's the problem anyway? I may not have current answers as so much has happened since 1974 when I had my last surgery.

It's very scary when doctors tell us something that takes us off guard in such a big way. A couple times in the 1990's doctors made me face my mortality (fucking BASTARDS!!!!!), and I proved them wrong. It's amazing what power those doctors have . . . of course we are going to listen to them.

I hope the process is smooth and uneventful. Keep us posted.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm the first generation of patients with Tetralogy of Fallot to make it past 28, and I'm 41 and counting - Yay me! I rock, I know.

The last time I had open heart surgery was 35 years ago - again, I rock, thank you.
    I had open heart surgery 2x, and started with a heart shunt at 21 months.

I've lived kindof cautiously as I don't want to EVER EVER EVER visit the ICU again. I've done my time, if you know what I mean.

I still have an enlarged heart because one side of the heart works harder than the other. 1 hole - the kind you dont' have to sew up. I had 4 that you do sew up. One side of the heart gets 65% of the blood and the other gets 35%, and the norm is at 55/45% split. Let's see . . . sluggish, has leaks.

My heart sounds great for someone with tetralogy of fallot. It may look abnormal, but it's been my version of normal for going on 42 years, and I don't have problems breathing. I can work out. I have 2 heart murmurs, and the cardiologists don't even reference them as they are so minor compared to anything else. I haven't seen a cardiologist in 10 years. I think they have done all they could do. Remember they don't know what to do with someone with tetralogy of fallot who lasted this long.

What's the problem anyway? I may not have current answers as so much has happened since 1974 when I had my last surgery.

It's very scary when doctors tell us something that takes us off guard in such a big way. A couple times in the 1990's doctors made me face my mortality (fucking BASTARDS!!!!!), and I proved them wrong. It's amazing what power those doctors have . . . of course we are going to listen to them.

I hope the process is smooth and uneventful. Keep us posted.
    I knew I'd find you here Ms. Haiku!!

Hope all is well Kidd! You're doc should give you some sort of clue as to what exactly he thinks might be a problem.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    My son has a defect called Hypo Plastic Left Heart Syndrome. He is 10 years old and has had 3 open heart surgeries, all before he was 3 years old! He's amazing! As Ms. Haiku said, and others, there are so many things happening medically out there. Something diagnosed now as opposed to 15, even 10 years ago, is probably treatable with much more success.

Keep up posted Kidd. I'm interested in what the docs think might be a problem and if there is a problem, why has it taken so long for them to find it?
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    Lizard wrote:
    Ditto

Ditto as well.
    I really hope everything is ok!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    Thanks for the replies guys haha.

Well I don't want to bore you with my medical history, but since I've been young doctors have thought I had somethng because of my muscle issues, skeletal structure issues, joint problems, etc., they tested me for many things inlcuding Stickers and Marfans Syndrome - which is what I have the most sympoms of, I think I have some form of marfans or "emerging marfans syndrome", basically meaning my connective tissues have problems as I have many joint problems, and am tall and meet much of the criteria. Anyways people with marfans have cardiovascular problems, because the walls around the blood vessels are weakened because the connective tissues are not strong enough and I have bad connective tissues in my body. Anyways they are pretty sure thats whats going on with me that the connective tissues are too weak thus according to Wikipedia I'd have a 10 percent chance of having an aortic dissection, that is when your main artery that leaves the heart the aorta tears open or bursts, and that is very bad which is why they're so concerned, because theres an 80 percent chance you'd die and half of people it happens to die before they reach the hospital.
    Im not really sure how to prevent an aortic dissection from happening, I think you'd just need to be really aware about your chest pains and go to the doctor immediately if you start getting pain.
    Im gettin my heart looked at in a week or two don't remember when my appointment is.
    Shows:
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    sounds serious.
    i wish you well.

my current heart doctor says i have an enlarged heart.
    i've known this for years.
    high blood pressure causes a heart to work harder.
    thus the heart grows, it is like any other muscle that grows when working.

it has been a good life.
    i will miss writing.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Thanks for the replies guys haha.

Well I don't want to bore you with my medical history, but since I've been young doctors have thought I had somethng because of my muscle issues, skeletal structure issues, joint problems, etc., they tested me for many things inlcuding Stickers and Marfans Syndrome - which is what I have the most sympoms of, I think I have some form of marfans or "emerging marfans syndrome", basically meaning my connective tissues have problems as I have many joint problems, and am tall and meet much of the criteria. Anyways people with marfans have cardiovascular problems, because the walls around the blood vessels are weakened because the connective tissues are not strong enough and I have bad connective tissues in my body. Anyways they are pretty sure thats whats going on with me that the connective tissues are too weak thus according to Wikipedia I'd have a 10 percent chance of having an aortic dissection, that is when your main artery that leaves the heart the aorta tears open or bursts, and that is very bad which is why they're so concerned, because theres an 80 percent chance you'd die and half of people it happens to die before they reach the hospital.
    Im not really sure how to prevent an aortic dissection from happening, I think you'd just need to be really aware about your chest pains and go to the doctor immediately if you start getting pain.
    Im gettin my heart looked at in a week or two don't remember when my appointment is.

It sounds like you have an idea of what is causing problems, and that's a good step. It also sounds like doctors will monitor, and you will monitor how things are going, and possibly nip any potential issue in the bud. I wish for you all the best, and that you don't have an aortic dissection. It sounds like odds are in your favor if only 10% of people with weak connective tissues do.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Pearl DrummerPearl Drummer Posts: 4,627
    samjam wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    Ditto

Ditto as well.
    I really hope everything is ok!
    Ditto as well
    i hope all of well!
    keep us updated
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
    PJPixie wrote:
    I was hoping you would show up :) Good to hear your son hasn't had surgery recently.
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    PJPixie wrote:
    I was hoping you would show up :) Good to hear your son hasn't had surgery recently.

Yes thanks for your post mrs haiku, good luck with your heart
    Shows:
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,256
    Godd luck kid , i'm scheduled for a stress test next week i have high blood pressure & high colesterol ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Totally amazing story - boy, is it good to read this!

http://www.mapmyrun.com/story/3066/user ... love-ellen
  • woah, that's scary but it's better to know now than later - makes it all the more treatable and manageable.
    like someone said - you sound very knowledgeable about it which is a great thing and it will make you a lot more stronger.

i hope that whatever it is, you are able to deal with it and it doesn't affect your life too much - wishing you strength and sending my thoughts and good vibes

keep us informed, good luck and hope that you stay well
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I'm sorry to hear about your condition, but finding out about heart issues at a young age is better then at an advanced age...

sending good vibes your way!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless