What kind of record player should I buy

bigbucksbigbucks Posts: 23
edited July 2010 in The Porch
The more and more i hear people playing vinyl records makes me want to buy a record player.I got rid of mine in the late 80s.What would be a good one and how much would i expect to pay.Since i hear the band releases there christmas singles this way i have to have one.Like what would be a good setup including the speakers and where could i find one at.The make and model would help.
Noblesville 6/22/03
Noblesville 5/7/10
Alpine Valley 9/4/11

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,867
    150-250 is an ok entry level price.
    300-400 is a quality entry level player price.

If you're on the fence about how serious you think you're going to be about getting into vinyl I would go with 150-250 option. It will play records and sound on par with CD's and albums made in the 90's will sound slightly better.

300-400 you'll get more consistancy in your speed since it will probably be a direct drive rather than belt. And you'll probably here a better sound come out of the majority of your albums.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    150-250 is an ok entry level price.
    300-400 is a quality entry level player price.

If you're on the fence about how serious you think you're going to be about getting into vinyl I would go with 150-250 option. It will play records and sound on par with CD's and albums made in the 90's will sound slightly better.

300-400 you'll get more consistancy in your speed since it will probably be a direct drive rather than belt. And you'll probably here a better sound come out of the majority of your albums.
    Plenty of decent turntables are belt driven. I wouldn't say direct drive is better, what about noise from the motor/bearing?
  • **bump** I'm in the market for one too, I'm tired of using my 70's/80's model flee market finds,lol. I asked this on another message board a couple of weeks ago. I got several smart-ass answers (because I said I needed something under $150 with a good sound). One person suggest Corsely brand.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
    bazzer wrote:
    Plenty of decent turntables are belt driven. I wouldn't say direct drive is better, what about noise from the motor/bearing?

I don't notice a noise. I'm trying to make it simple for this guy and in general terms i'd say more people prefer direct drive for its consistency and durability versus belt driven.

you can probably go to a magnolia hi-fi (if they're still around?) and play around with record players and see which you prefer.
    What does a Project Debut III cost over there?
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,147
    FisherPriceRecord%28bl%29.jpg

Sexy & portable!
    Bazzer - $350
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    demetrios wrote:
    FisherPriceRecord%28bl%29.jpg

Sexy & portable!
    ha! i would actually love to have a little one like that

without supporter urban outfitters that is....
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    I don't notice a noise. I'm trying to make it simple for this guy and in general terms i'd say more people prefer direct drive for its consistency and durability versus belt driven.
    Not "a noise" that you can hear but "noise" (i.e. vibrations etc) generated by the motor and bearing system that is introduced to the platter, affecting sound quality. I would say the main reason direct drive have increased in popularity is due to the DJ aspect. I still think audiophile (i.e. sound quality) = belt drive. I don't know if that's this guy's thinking, if not then at a price direct drive may be better for him.

I just thought your implication that belt-drive = poor speed consistency (or rotational stability?) wasn't fair. Direct-drive may get up to speed fast, but that's not the same thing.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    bazzer wrote:
    Not "a noise" that you can hear but "noise" (i.e. vibrations etc) generated by the motor and bearing system that is introduced to the platter, affecting sound quality. I would say the main reason direct drive have increased in popularity is due to the DJ aspect. I still think audiophile (i.e. sound quality) = belt drive. I don't know if that's this guy's thinking, if not then at a price direct drive may be better for him.

I just thought your implication that belt-drive = poor speed consistency (or rotational stability?) wasn't fair. Direct-drive may get up to speed fast, but that's not the same thing.
    AUDIOPHILE FIGHT! :geek:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I have an ION, the newer kind that can also connect to the computer (although I only use it to play records), I've noticed your sound system impacts the quality hugely, I think if your just a beginner you would be fine with a cheaper record player and a fairly decent sound system :)
    Just the other day I found "Who's Next" By the Who in my garage, as my dad has a bunch of vinyls but never plays them, nothing better than hearing an album for the first time on vinyl...

Good luck! :D
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009