RIP Bob Probert

lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
It's been reported on local radio that Bob Probert has passed away at age 45. He collapsed in a boat on Lake St. Clair.
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    what????
    Hope he wasn't back up to his old tricks :(
    RIP
  • danrichdanrich Posts: 3
    I just saw that.
    One of those player who could fight and play real good.
    RIP
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    only 45? thats crazy young.
    condolences to his family,
    R.I.P.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    Lived kind of a hard life. Loved watching him play for many years. One of the toughest guys in the league.
    Condolences to his friends and family. He will be missed.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    I'll bite...I have no idea who you guys are talking about....

youtube clips?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JasonEJasonE Posts: 531

youtube clips?

Hockey player best known for beating the shit out of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZEMSsGWYU
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    JasonE wrote:

youtube clips?

Hockey player best known for beating the shit out of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZEMSsGWYU
    RIP Probert.

And MW just fooled you into doing the work for him!
  • JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    Rygar wrote:
    And MW just fooled you into doing the work for him!

Newman!
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSuRKuu_n7A

...terrible music...but this video should give you a good idea as to how tough a hockey player he was.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    ah shit :cry:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • OpenOpen Posts: 792
    RIP Bob...sad sad news.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    I feel badly for his family and I hope he is at peace, however, the Detroit media is making him out to be some kind of local hero.
    Sure, he was a good hockey player and a great fighter, but he also spent time in prison for trying to smuggle cocaine into the US from Canada, was arrested for battery of a police officer in Florida, and had some pretty severe substance abuse problems.
    He's far from the hero he's being made to be.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    milarso wrote:
    I feel badly for his family and I hope he is at peace, however, the Detroit media is making him out to be some kind of local hero.
    Sure, he was a good hockey player and a great fighter, but he also spent time in prison for trying to smuggle cocaine into the US from Canada, was arrested for battery of a police officer in Florida, and had some pretty severe substance abuse problems.
    He's far from the hero he's being made to be.

He had young kids...so for them that is very sad, your right he's no hero. But he did get his life in order. But he hasn't been in any trouble for a long time.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:

He had young kids...so for them that is very sad, your right he's no hero. But he did get his life in order. But he hasn't been in any trouble for a long time.

2004 wasn't that long ago...
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2004/06/04/probert040604.html
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    edited July 2010
    Nothing like bashing on a dead guy. Wow so he wasn't perfect, who cares. His kids won't ever grow up with their father now and have a fatherly figure to look up to.

Anways thoughts are with his family
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

milarso wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

2004 wasn't that long ago...
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2004/06/04/probert040604.html

6 years is long enough for me, to me he was troubled, I live in the community his family reside, I have only had 1 brief encounter with him, but I have spoken to plenty of people who know Bob or have met him and they all seem to have nothing but positive thoughts, and most say he was very kind and always had time to sign autographs and pose for picture's with their kids.

Red Wings fans remain fond of Probert

By Dan Lajoie, The Windsor Star July 5, 2010 11:02 PM Be the first to post a comment

The measure of Bob Probert’s legacy as a Detroit Red Wing is not necessarily found in the record books.

There are of course those entries: 163 career goals, 221 assists for 384 total points in nine seasons with the Red Wings and seven more with the rival Chicago Blackhawks. Even the whopping 3,300 penalty minutes in 935 career games, good for sixth place all-time, may not really define his huge impact on hockey in the Detroit area.

What does stand out is that, years after his retirement from the Hawks in 2002 and after leaving Detroit in 1994, Red Wing sweaters emblazoned with “24 Probert” across the back are still one of the more common sights on game nights at the Joe Louis Arena, rivalling the names and numbers of the team’s current stars. Fans of the Red Wings loved the big man.

“He was a Motor City guy,” said Glen Schofield, who played with, and against, Probert starting in the Windsor Minor Hockey Association from the age of eight right through the ranks of the OHL. “He came from here, his dad was a police officer in Windsor. Bob protected Steve Y, was a big brother out there to his teammates and Detroit loves that. Everyone loves a scrapper.… He spent all that time in the penalty box and still could put the puck in the net.”

And Probert’s legacy doesn’t end there. Schofield pointed out that number 24 actually broke Gordie Howe’s Red Wing playoff point record in the 1987-88 playoff run, scoring eight goals and 13 assists in 21 games. It was also his breakout year when he scored 29 goals and added 33 assists during the regular reason. And of course there were the fights: a series of battles with Tie Domi, against and with Joey Kocur, against Stu Grimson and the marathon, 100-second bout with Penguins enforcer Marty McSorley.

But Schofield said there are other reasons for Probert’s enduring popularity with local fans. He stuck around his hometown and played a role in local charities and fundraising events, played in old timers games, ran a hockey school for kids here and could be seen signing autographs at Spits games. He even did a stint on the CBC’s Battle of the Blades figure skating series.

“He was a big kid himself,” recalled Schofield. “ That was Bob.”

And it is as a kid that Schofield remembers him.

“Bob and I grew up together,” he said. “We hung out quite a bit when we were younger. He would give you the shirt off his back once you got to know him. I played with him as a midget. All those bus trips, sitting at the back and laughing, while the parents sat up front.

“He never fought back then, not until he went to junior,” added Schofield, who played for the Spitfires and Kingston Canadiens in the OHL. “He beat the crap out of our tough guy (in Kingston). Gave him 11 stitches. I remember thinking holy crap he is tough on the ice. He was always so strong. He could carry me around like a rag doll. Had no problem moving guys in front (of the net).”

But there tough times off the ice as well. Schofield recalled Probert’s father died of a heart attack in his ’40s

“His dad passed away at about the same age,” he remembered. “Bob was 17. He buried him the day before he left for training camp in Brantford.… But his father knew he had been drafted that summer.”

He said said off the ice Probert was a family man who loved his wife and children and who always would give the kids at his hockey school the attention they needed. Even Schofield’s own daughter, Jolene, learned to skate from Probert.

“She fell down and he was trying to help her up and she pointed her finger at him and said ‘I don’t need help I can get up on my own.’ He treated my daughter well,” he said. “He was good with all the kids.”

And ultimately, said Schofield, it’s Probert’s children he feels for at this time.

“He’s going to be missed,” he said. “For his kids’ sake.… He was a wonderful guy.”

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Wings ... z0sry6LoN3

metsfan wrote:
    Nothing like bashing on a dead guy. Wow so he wasn't perfect, who cares. His kids won't ever grow up with their father now and have a fatherly figure to look up to.

Anways thoughts are with his family

Well said, thank you! He battled his demons, no one is perfect and you are right his children will now grow up with out him.

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    RIP Probie!

The best enforcer and fighter the game has ever seen, but perhaps most importantly...one of the best teammates anyone could have!
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    Never a Wings or Hawks fan, but always enjoyed watching him play. Sad.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    lukin2006 wrote:
    It's been reported on local radio that Bob Probert has passed away at age 45. He collapsed in a boat on Lake St. Clair.

...didn't you just report it?
    www.myspace.com
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    very shocked to hear that this morning, I had forgotten about his past though
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2010
    Probert was the main reason on some nights to go to a Red Wing game :)

Very sad for the family :(

God Bless
    Post edited by pearljim on
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    Easily one of my favorite players growing up, and the best fighter I've ever seen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3yNgktCLk

One of the best hockey fights ever.

lukin2006 wrote:

...didn't you just report it?
    :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    lukin2006 wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK3yNgktCLk

One of the best hockey fights ever.

Damn right!! They never let fights go half as long as that anymore!

Probie not only could lay into a guy, but he was never phased by anyone clocking him. A guy would get a 4-5 jabs in and you'd see Probie reach back and BOOM!! Game over! :D
    Getting away from the hockey side of things a lot has been written the last few days about how much charitable work he has done throughout his life and especially in his hometown community. I will retract my comment earlier when I said he might not be a hero. He is definitely a hero in Windsor/Essex county, when people around here talk of Bob it was about how much he gave of himself, not about hockey or the other bullshit that happened that people can't let go. RIP Bob you will be missed.

lukin2006 wrote:
    Getting away from the hockey side of things a lot has been written the last few days about how much charitable work he has done throughout his life and especially in his hometown community. I will retract my comment earlier when I said he might not be a hero. He is definitely a hero in Windsor/Essex county, when people around here talk of Bob it was about how much he gave of himself, not about hockey or the other bullshit that happened that people can't let go. RIP Bob you will be missed.

I'm assuming this is directed toward me, because I was the only one who questioned the way the media was treating his death. Acting like Bob Probert should be remembered as (according to Pat Caputo) "one of the greatest Red Wings of all time."
    I don't agree with that. I don't think he was that great of a person. That's just me.
    I'm really sorry that voicing that offended you so much. I'll try to keep the dissenting opinion to myself.
    milarso wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I'm assuming this is directed toward me, because I was the only one who questioned the way the media was treating his death. Acting like Bob Probert should be remembered as (according to Pat Caputo) "one of the greatest Red Wings of all time."
    I don't agree with that. I don't think he was that great of a person. That's just me.
    I'm really sorry that voicing that offended you so much. I'll try to keep the dissenting opinion to myself.

Actually no, this was not directed at you, it was me recanting my opinion. Up until this week, I never really gave Probert much thought, like most I'm sure. After hearing and reading what has been said about how he was always willing to donate his time for charitable work my opinion of him was greatly altered, the reason I like many did not know how much charity he did was because he never promoted himself in that way.

I was trying to get away from the hockey side and all the other BS. As for Caputo, I take with a grain of salt anything he or any of the other guys on the ticket have to say.

Probert was a pretty good player, 163 goals and 384 points are decent numbers for an enforcer (3300 PIM), the guy who had Stevie Y's back.