Interviews

sensisensi Posts: 73
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Hello

I've got an interview today at 2pm GMT...I've been unemployed almost 12 months now since my last employer had to "let me go" last July...it's my 4th interview in 6 months and I obviously never got the jobs I was interviewed for previously so I'm after advice.

Do you have any interview tips and frequently asked interview questions?

The job is a receptionist in an opticians so it's basically meeting and greeting and answering the phone...with a bit of admin thrown in...I'm more than capable of doing the job but my confidence has hit rock bottom this last year and the government have just made it harder to get jobs by declaring the job cuts and pay freezes...I fear this could be the closest I'll get to employment at my age...I'm 44 next month

Yours desperately

Sensi
It makes much more sense to live in the present tense
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    Give them a big warm smile when you make eye contact for the first time.
  • Try to relax and try not to anticipate any questions before your interview, just try to stay relaxed and answer each one as best you can. I know this sounds obvious, but it's been one of my downfalls in past interviews.

Good luck. :D
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • sensisensi Posts: 73
    Thank you both...I'll definitely be as friendly as I usually am. :D
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    edited July 2010
    If you're a chick show them some cleavage.

000EBR_Julia_Roberts_061.jpg
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    You have basically explained my last year as well. I have a final interview tomorrow and I think one of the most important things is to make as much eye contact as possible. Try and put some thought into your answers and not reguritate all cliches. When your done send them a thank you e-mail. Good luck.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Just be yourself. People can tell when you are not being genuine or just saying what they want to hear. Be friendly and confindent and you will be fine. Good luck!!
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I had an interview the other day (and got the job!!)
    Here are some of the question's I can remember being asked:

Explain a little about yourself
    Why do you feel you would be good for this position
    What do you think will be the hardest thing about this position

Actually that's all I can remember, but these are some typical questions in an interview as well:
    What are your weaknesses
    What are your strengths
    What experience do you have that would fit this position
    What was a difficult situation you have had in the past, and how did you deal with it
    What are your short and long term goals

hope some of those help you prepare... tough market for jobs right now!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • sensisensi Posts: 73
    Thanks for all the help...I really appreciate it.

The interview went well...it lasted 30 minutes and I was asked why I wanted to work there and what I knew about the company (which wasn't as much as they told me)...I found out it is more than the job description they provided which is good because it's a lot more interesting than just answering the phone...if I'm successful I will be working my way up to an 'Optometrist Assistant' which is really interesting...getting to help people get the right style of lenses to suit their face...I want the job so much now though I'm trying to reason with myself so I don't get too upset if I don't get it.