Backspacer

geckogecko Posts: 1,712
edited July 2010 in The Porch
I was reading some concert reviews of the performers not Pearl Jam, and, very often, ther later work is not accepted, peope either don't know the songs, or they are bored and waiting for oldies.

It must be nice for Pearl Jam when they perform 'Unthought Known', 'The Fixer' or 'Just Breathe' to see that people are singing along and enjoying the songs.

'Got Some' fits nicely in the sets, I think, by reading the boards, and I was a witness when Eddie kept the whole stadium quiet for 'The End". 'Amongst the Waves' should be recognisable, too, after being single/w video. Those are 6 songs out of 11 in less than a year from release, not bad.

Did I miss anything? I guess people that went to more concerts than me could share their experience with Backspacer songs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I can't believe I'm hearing a third single from an album on the radio... They're just playing the game. They know how to write catchy songs, and now understand, catchy songs are just what a lot of people need.
  • free2bemefree2beme Posts: 154
    super sonic rocks out too! :thumbup:
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Backspacer is amazing. I originally liked it, then stopped listening to it for honestly no reason, then a few weeks ago I listened to it straight and love it. I love every single rocker and "amongst the waves" is an absolute masterpiece. I even love speed of sound.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I still love this record, hands down my favourite since Yield. To me it sounds like a band who have found their mojo again, they actually sound young!

Unthought Known, The Fixer, Amongst The Waves and Just Breathe went down really well when I saw them at Hyde Park the other week, lots of people round me were singing along.
  • DegiDegi Posts: 1,007
    in nijmegen the crowd was singing along to backspacer songs, they seemed really familiar with them!!
    i LOVED johnny guitar in berlin too!
    oh and backspacer was the first PJ record i had to wait for, was too young when the other ones were released so i could buy them all at once ;)
  • Frankly, I can take or leave Johnny Guitar live and on the record, but the rest of it rocks the place out when they play it live. I've managed to see every song except SOS and FON and the crowd have been wild about all of them. Backspacer is so catchy that people just seem to know the tunes without having listened to them too many times. And it is a really fun album so it creates a great live atmosphere. I don;t think I'll ever get bored of listening to it live or on record.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • jubilairesjljubilairesjl Posts: 497
    I guess I had different perspective than some. I had ten club seats to three out of the four concerts I went to. St. Louis was the only ticketmaster seat I had. But the reaction to the band throughout the concert was very different. I felt out of place there, but anyway, It seemed that most of the people around me didn't know any of the stuff after Vitalogy. Plus, the fact that everybody behind me was sitting down at the beginning of the concert. I don't think they necessarily didn't like the Backspacer songs, they just didn't know them or even expect them I guess. They probably expected to hear Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy stuff.
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,017
    The SOS demo came on my iTunes after the Berlin recording and while it was wonderful hearing The End followed by Just Breathe live, I can't help thinking Speed of Sound would work wonderfully as a threesome...
    Nature drunk and High
  • Im a million times more interested in whatever Of THe Earth is a part of than i am with Backspacer :)