Tattoo Removal

GemsAndRhinestonesGemsAndRhinestones Posts: 18
edited October 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone ever had a tattoo removed? Did it work?
Los Angeles - Gibson Ampitheater - October 6, 2009
Seattle - Key Arena - December 6, 2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    No tattoos for me but I have a friend that got a fairly large tattoo removed. It worked but was extremely painful from what I hear. All depends on your pain tolerence though.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I say live with your decisions!
    "It's all happening"
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    removal is extremely painful.

the procedure just takes a laser, burns off layers of your skin, and it takes multiple sessions.

essentially you have a fresh 2nd-3rd degree burn for weeks at a time
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    I say live with your decisions!
    Imagine those people who got, 'Winger' or 'Warrant' or 'Limp Bizkit' tattoos. I just saw an woman today with 'Poison' tatted on her tit... might have looked cool in 1985, but man... kinda Haggatha Christie looking in 2010.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    my aunt got a chinese symbol that ended up looking like a pot leaf... hurt like a bitch to get off! if you can, i suggest just changing it into something that better suits you
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    my aunt got a chinese symbol that ended up looking like a pot leaf... hurt like a bitch to get off! if you can, i suggest just changing it into something that better suits you
    The worst tattoo idea? Getting the name of the person you are dating... or sometimes, even married to, tatted on you. You will always have the reminder of how miserable your life was with that person.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    The worst tattoo idea? Getting the name of the person you are dating... or sometimes, even married to, tatted on you. You will always have the reminder of how miserable your life was with that person.
    i've always thought i'd like to get my wedding band tattooed on my ring finger instead of wear a ring... i had a teacher once that did it and it looked pretty cool

but you raise an interesting point :D

guess i'll just have to be sure first

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Cosmo wrote:
    My friend got a tattoo but had originally wanted her bf of 6 years' name incorporated.
    The artist refused to tattoo names of partners, married or otherwise.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
    haffajappa wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    My friend got a tattoo but had originally wanted her bf of 6 years' name incorporated.
    Are they still together?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Cosmo wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Are they still together?
    haha, yeah they are. highschool sweethearts.
    she got a cool design that worked in their initials...

i think its a good policy the guy has anyways, tattoos can be way too permanent
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    The tattoo artist I go to turns down about 40% of tattoo idea requests,she only does custom work,no walk in tag work ... she will not tattoo,names,cartoon characters,bands names,loves,tramp stamps,etc ... her integrity is impeccable ... she considers that she would rather make less money separating the chaff from the wheat ... she takes full responsibility for her work.She once told me "an arsehole that doesn't look like an arsehole ,may walk into my shop ... but they won't leave looking like an arsehole because of anything I put on their skin ... interestingly her ethics have made her more money as she is so well respected.

As for removal ... years ago before I found the artist I now go to I got a wee flower on my wrist ... it was sweet for about a year but it ended up looking like a blob ... a few years ago I got a cover up done of a half sleeve of stylized flowers ... much better ... I'd say if a cover up is an option go for that ... but most importantly put much though,years if that is what it takes,into what to have tattooed .... it should make you feel good not ashamed ... removal is extremely painful ... worse than the original tattoo and scars the skin badly ...
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Thanks for the opinions everyone.

I have had my tattoo for 20 years, so have definitely lived with it for a while. I got the tattoo when I was 18. It is only about 3 inches by 3 inches and is on my upper back on the back of the shoulder. The design is two hearts with some filagree work around them. I was born on Valentine's Day, so hopefully that makes the cheese factor lower?!? ;) Anyways, I still like the tattoo and am not ashamed of it, I would just prefer to not have it anymore. Unfortunately when I was 18 I thought it was a wonderful idea.

I am going in for a consultation with a very reputable doctor who specializes in tattoo removal. He actually numbs the area before using the laser, so hopefully that helps with the pain. He also claims there is no scarring. I guess I will have to do some more research and also try to find people who have used him. If I do go through with it, I will try to take pictures along the way. It could be an interesting post!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,025
    Thanks for the opinions everyone.

I have had my tattoo for 20 years, so have definitely lived with it for a while. I got the tattoo when I was 18. It is only about 3 inches by 3 inches and is on my upper back on the back of the shoulder. The design is two hearts with some filagree work around them. I was born on Valentine's Day, so hopefully that makes the cheese factor lower?!? ;) Anyways, I still like the tattoo and am not ashamed of it, I would just prefer to not have it anymore. Unfortunately when I was 18 I thought it was a wonderful idea.

I am going in for a consultation with a very reputable doctor who specializes in tattoo removal. He actually numbs the area before using the laser, so hopefully that helps with the pain. He also claims there is no scarring. I guess I will have to do some more research and also try to find people who have used him. If I do go through with it, I will try to take pictures along the way. It could be an interesting post!
    depends on the strength of the laser and how many treatments are necessary for complete removal. The pain comes between treatments. There WILL be some sort of scar , however light. Act of tattooing leaves a scar. And laser removal will also leave something.It is a burn after all. Ever seen a burn that didn't scar in some way?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Thanks for the opinions everyone.

depends on the strength of the laser and how many treatments are necessary for complete removal. The pain comes between treatments. There WILL be some sort of scar , however light. Act of tattooing leaves a scar. And laser removal will also leave something.It is a burn after all. Ever seen a burn that didn't scar in some way?

+1
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Well, I decided today to start the tattoo removal process. First treatment is next Friday. I appreciate everyone's opinion on the subject and feel confident I am making the best choice for me.

I am going to document this "journey" in pictures and if people are interested, I may start a post to show the progress. It could take 18-24 months before it is gone. Should be interesting!
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    Well, I decided today to start the tattoo removal process. First treatment is next Friday. I appreciate everyone's opinion on the subject and feel confident I am making the best choice for me.

I am going to document this "journey" in pictures and if people are interested, I may start a post to show the progress. It could take 18-24 months before it is gone. Should be interesting!

Good luck!!! I hope it's as painless as possible for you, and that you get good results :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    I was just reading about Johnny depp on wiki whatever it's called and he had a tat that said Winona Forever then later had it changed to Wino Forever. I know useless info.
    I'll be back
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Well, I decided today to start the tattoo removal process. First treatment is next Friday. I appreciate everyone's opinion on the subject and feel confident I am making the best choice for me.

Yes! I'd love to see the progress pics!!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,968
    I was just reading about Johnny depp on wiki whatever it's called and he had a tat that said Winona Forever then later had it changed to Wino Forever. I know useless info.

:lol::lol::lol:
    and, really, 99% of what we post about is useless information.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Happy to report I had my first removal session a couple of weeks ago and it really did not hurt that bad. It was no worse than getting the tattoo and only took about 1 minute. There wasn't any blood and the worst side effect is that the tattoo itches a bit. It will take a while (up to 2 years) for the tat to be completely gone. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will probably start posting pics of the tattoo before each session to show the progress.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    when i got my tattoo many moons ago ... there was a girl in at the same time altering her previous tattoo ... she had the nike logo on her back below her neck ... guess she thought it was a bad idea ... :lol: ... anyhoo - she had it changed to a sun ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    when i got my tattoo many moons ago ... there was a girl in at the same time altering her previous tattoo ... she had the nike logo on her back below her neck ... guess she thought it was a bad idea ... :lol: ... anyhoo - she had it changed to a sun ...
    guess she got the urge one day to "just do it" :P

I can't think of a single tattoo artist that would agree to that kind of corporate branding

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    I am currently in the long process (the long process being lack of money)
    of covering up the "stupid tats" I got when I was younger.

Covering up is the way to go. Probably in the end its going to cost the same.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

I can't think of a single tattoo artist that would agree to that kind of corporate branding

frig ... i hear there was a time a few years ago where the most popular baby names were like lexus and porsche ...

people are getting stupider by the minute!
  • polaris_x wrote:

That goes along with what a buddy of mine has said many times at work, we both work at a hospital. "You can't fix stupid." lol
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,025
    polaris_x wrote:

That goes along with what a buddy of mine has said many times at work, we both work at a hospital. "You can't fix stupid." lol
    maybe not , but its fun to try and beat it out of em!!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    The problems that arise when trying to get a tattoo removal. Here's Carmen Call trying to remove a tattoo from her boyfriend....

http://power953.com/Player/100751791/

More on Carmen... Carmen's Tattoo Removal :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    there was a kid in college that had a bad Bulls Logo on his lower leg. wonder whatever happened to that guy.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg