G string out of tune

matabelematabele Posts: 277
edited July 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
This has just started to happen very frequently, every 10 min or so, had the guitar for well over a year, strings are about 9 months old with average 1 hr a day use. Could the strings be the issue?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's getting ready to break. I recommend a new set of strings. After nine months, it's time anyway. I go through a set a month.
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • matabelematabele Posts: 277
    It's getting ready to break. I recommend a new set of strings. After nine months, it's time anyway. I go through a set a month.
    Much appreciated, thanks.
  • Nut sauce before when you swap out your strings.........

Groove-Luber.jpg
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    Snoopy, I'm lucky you put a picture in your reply or else I would have got a 6 pack for my nut (not that bright am I, stuff it I'll get a 6 pack anyway). This guy posted on a guitar website that I visited,he said that he had not changed his strings on his Strat since he bought it 6 years ago, liked the dull sound and was seriously thinking of buying a new guitar so he could have one with new strings!
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Nut sauce before when you swap out your strings.........

Groove-Luber.jpg

yeah, put some nut sauce on that g string
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Nut sauce before when you swap out your strings.........

Groove-Luber.jpg

yeah, put some nut sauce on that g string

That was MUCH better than the G-String comment I was gonna make. Bravo! :lol:
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    matabele wrote:
    This has just started to happen very frequently, every 10 min or so, had the guitar for well over a year, strings are about 9 months old with average 1 hr a day use. Could the strings be the issue?
    can't hurt to check that the screw on the tuner/head is tight...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    that nut sauce stuff is ok but to be honest just running a very sharp pencil through the cut grooves in your nut works just as well. The graphite in the pencil acts as a lubricant. Also im 100% sure that some new strings will solve alot of your problems as well. Strings loose there elasticity over time which can stop them returning to pitch even more so on guitars with trems such as strats.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    Thanks for the tips, guy in the music shop also said that the pencil was the best method, have to be honest and call myself an idiot for not changing them after so long.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    matabele wrote:
    Thanks for the tips, guy in the music shop also said that the pencil was the best method, have to be honest and call myself an idiot for not changing them after so long.

Yes, that is probably the best option for you.

If i can impart one more small tip. Don't always trust the guy at the guitar shop :)
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    Changed them last evening, what a difference, I was going to give up because I had started to sound so dull. Still struggling but much more enjoyable now, every 30 days from now on.