Fan Conventions!!! WTH???

FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone ever been to one? Not Comic-Con per se, but ones for particular TV/Movie franchises? I've been researching a convention for a particular TV show that I like and I am just blown away by the costs for these things :wtf: For example, Creation Entertainment has Fan conventions for Twilight, Star Trek, BSG, Xena, Supernatural, Smallville, Gossip Girl, Lost, and Lord of the Rings, et al. http://www.creationent.com/

Of course each convention has different levels of cost, i. e. gold, silver, weekend, days, etc. that range in price from $35 to $700 just for the Panels or Q&A sessions. Some packages include limited autographs, breakfasts, or meet & greets; but photo-ops & autographs and other miscellaneous stuff is generally an additional cost ranging anywhere from $15 to $200. None of this includes accommodations, food or other miscellaneous travel expenses.

Granted, a lot of us have paid out to travel to see Pearl Jam or other bands perform, but really, depending on how far you go and how many shows you see on that tour it still seems like a better deal. I don't know maybe I'm biased because to me a PJ concert feels more like a quasi-religious experience rather than just a concert. But I honestly don't see the appeal of spending a minimum $500 dollars just to sit in a room and have an actor tell you about his/her character for 45 mins.

Out of curiosity, is this a relatively new phenomenon or what, other than Star Wars/Star Trek conventions which have been around forever, or have I just not been paying attention? Or did someone just suddenly realise that people are desperate to spend hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars just to be in the same room as a particular actor? The actors themselves, must enjoy the fees they can earn for a few hours of work, a few weekends a year.

I'm not trying to come across as snotty or condescending, I guess I'm just curious as to what other people think about this. Would you, or have you ever been to a fan convention? If you have been, what convention did you go to? And did you feel that you got your moneys worth?

Btw, I have decided not to attend the convention. If I lived in the city, I might have considered going down and paying for a one-day admittance, but as it stands, I'd rather save up for the next PJ concert.
"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I go to the fan conventions before every PJ show.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I am almost certain half the members of this board would go to a Lost convention if there was one.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Ive never understood this either. The craziest for me is the dressing up. I mean, Dissidentman dressing up like a bear is one thing, but when your gluing hair to your feet to look like Frodo for a Lord of the Rings convention, then you have issues.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    what is a tv show convention?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    chadwick wrote:

Basically you pay a lot of money to be in the presence of stars from the show. They sit on a platform and answer questions from the fans for about an hour I guess. Maybe there is more, I wouldn't know for sure as I have never been o one.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    chadwick wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekKsuoYjrqY

Sums it up
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsSdLD_YodQ
    conventions save lives.
    a remarkable story.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Ive never understood this either. The craziest for me is the dressing up. I mean, Dissidentman dressing up like a bear is one thing, but when your gluing hair to your feet to look like Frodo for a Lord of the Rings convention, then you have issues.

What if you're collecting haircut scraps since age 6 to one day cover yourself entirely so you can go to a Star Wars convention as Chewbacca?

........ :|
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    chadwick wrote:
    conventions save lives.
    a remarkable story.

If he had called me and said he was doing a convention I may have ended my life right there

norm wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    dcfaithful wrote:

What if you're collecting haircut scraps since age 6 to one day cover yourself entirely so you can go to a Star Wars convention as Chewbacca?

........ :|

i pray that you jest
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    My girl's a Stargate tragic and looked into going to the convention when it can to Australia. They wanted $400 a ticket and that got you into the convention and the Q & A. Needless to say she realised she wasn't that much of a tragic. They wanted $150 just for convention entry only and then they had a $600 ticket as well. Can't remember what that got you but I think I remarkedthat you should get some "private time" with Richard Dean Anderson for that price :P
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    chadwick wrote:
    conventions save lives.
    a remarkable story.

That is a really nice story. I understand that things like TV shows, movies, and bands can have deep personal meaning and be very important to an individual, I mean look at where I'm posting this :roll: I'm sure that this band, through their music or private actions have saved more than a few lives over the past twenty years. I guess what I don't understand is the cost involved with these fan conventions. It just seems so extreme and out of proportion to what one is getting in return: a Q&A session and maybe an autograph.

I mean to see this band live, one pays anywhere from $65 to $90 per ticket. You know that PJ is going to play for at least 1.5 - 2.5 hours, depending on if it's a festival or a regular show, plus add in an opening band (hopefully one that you enjoy), a drink or two, maybe a shirt or a poster and you're spending around $150 - a reasonable amount for a special night out. Of course, if your traveling the cost is going to be higher, but then chances are you are going to see one or more shows. For some of these conventions, $150 only gets you in the door :wtf: :?

Austicman wrote:
    My girl's a Stargate tragic and looked into going to the convention when it can to Australia. They wanted $400 a ticket and that got you into the convention and the Q & A. Needless to say she realised she wasn't that much of a tragic. They wanted $150 just for convention entry only and then they had a $600 ticket as well. Can't remember what that got you but I think I remarkedthat you should get some "private time" with Richard Dean Anderson for that price :P

Yeah, I guess it just comes down to how important it is to you and what you're willing to spend. Chances are a lot of the fans that go have made friends throughout the fandom and meet up at these conventions, much like many of us do before a PJ gig. I guess it comes down to the fact that if it makes you happy and you can afford it, then by all means one should go. And hey, if I could get some "private time" with the lead(s) of the show I like, I'd definitely pay the money.
    smiley-sex023.gif :evil: :twisted: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

Yeah, but admission is free so ya'll don't seem as crazy.