Boston Accomodation for one

given_toflygiven_tofly Posts: 24
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey there,

not been a frequent poster so far but this seems to be one of the places where a few people from the US pass by who might be able to help.
I am planning to go on a trip to Boston in September this year. Due to other people not having the money/being available it looks like i will be taking this trip on my own. I'd like to stay for a week and just get to know Boston (one of the cities I always wanted to visit, even though people said I might as well stay in Dublin cause of the Irishness ;) )
Does anyone know any decently priced accomodation for just a single person. Most hotel prices seem ok if they were shared by two but for just one person are beyond my budget.
Also, what area would you suggest to stay in for just a visit to the city and maybe a day trip to the surrounding area?

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can offer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Do you want to do the touristy thing? Stuff off the beaten path? It all depends. There's so much to do here, I'm sure you'll have a great time by yourself. Try to get a single ticket to a Red Sox game at Fenway, if they are in town during your stay.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, a bit of everything really I guess.. Touristy thing has to be as well.. I am sure I'll be grand on my own, and be able to have loads of fun, but just cannot seem to find accomodation that i can afford on my own for a week.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    priceline.com name your own price.....

betterbidding.com to see what a good price is
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    edited June 2010
    Staying in the city is very expensive no matter where you stay. My suggestion would be to stay just outside the city and either rent a car to commute, a zip car(where you just pay for mileage and time), or public transportation. You will save a boatload this way.

Like Fenway said, you can't go wrong with a Red Sox game if they are in town during your stay. A duck tour through the city is a must if you have never been here before. It takes you through the city streets showing you all the sights and then takes you into the Charles River for a view from Boston you mostly only see on postcards. Copley Square is a great place. Faneuil Hall has lots of bars, restaurants and shopping. The Greenway is where the old expressway used to be before the Big Dig and now is a beautiful walking path from the North End to South Station. The Freedom Trail is also a great walking tour of the city. PM me if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.
    Post edited by youngster on
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    I'm not really the one to ask about accommodations (there are others that know more than I about that subject).

We have amphibious Duck Boat tours that go all over the city, including Boston Harbor and the Charles River. I've never been on one, but I have heard they are a great way for visitors to see the sights in the city. If you do that early, you'll be able to surmise yourself what exactly you want to see.

And coming from Ireland, you'll feel right at home with all the bars we have in Boston. Cheers!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    YES, public transportation. Parking is a mess in Boston and it more of a hassle than anything else. Plus you get to see the oldest and most inefficient public transportation system in the US!
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Hey there,

not been a frequent poster so far but this seems to be one of the places where a few people from the US pass by who might be able to help.
    I am planning to go on a trip to Boston in September this year. Due to other people not having the money/being available it looks like i will be taking this trip on my own. I'd like to stay for a week and just get to know Boston (one of the cities I always wanted to visit, even though people said I might as well stay in Dublin cause of the Irishness ;) )
    Does anyone know any decently priced accomodation for just a single person. Most hotel prices seem ok if they were shared by two but for just one person are beyond my budget.
    Also, what area would you suggest to stay in for just a visit to the city and maybe a day trip to the surrounding area?

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can offer.

After the first day when you get bored, just hop on the train and head to NYC!!!
    KO282453 wrote:
    If you want to piss away all your money in the most overrated city in the world, just hop on the train and head to NYC!!!
    Fixed.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    YES, public transportation. Parking is a mess in Boston and it more of a hassle than anything else. Plus you get to see the oldest and most inefficient public transportation system in the US!

While I am not familiar with the Boston Public Transportation system, I cannot conceive a possible way it is older or a bigger pain in the ass than Philly.

Edit: Sorry I offered no help. I stay as far away from Boston as possible. haha
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    My wife and I visited Boston a couple of years ago and stayed at the Hi-Hostel on 12 Hemenway Street. We took a private room, but they also have dorm type rooms. It is a 5 minute walk from the green line subway and in general located pretty much in a great place. We met amazing people from all over the place and went out with them to some pubs. The hostel also organizes outings every night to different locations which are usually free. If you sleep in a dorm room, it should cost you around 30 - 40 $ a night (the private room cost around $110).

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-HI ... 002.en.htm

As for things to do, DO NOT MISS the Samuel Adams brewery tour!!!!!!!!
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
    KO282453 wrote:
    If you want to piss away all your money in the most overrated city in the world, just hop on the train and head to NYC!!!
    Fixed.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Just rent the John Adams mini series, and then come to a Real City. You know Boston fits inside Central Park right? You call that a city, there's like 4 tall buildings. The tallest is like 40 floors, ooh wow.
  • Thanks for all the help so far. Really impressed..
    I am only starting to make my plan.. Want to book flights and accomodation soon though.
    Will check the places you mentioned, maybe a hostel is the way to go.
    Actually am not from Ireland but from Germany. I have been living here for 5 years now though.. Freedom trail is definitely on my list - that was the thing that made me want to visit Boston when i read about it in my English book when i was 14..
    Been to NYC before (to see Pearl Jam in 2003) and thought I'd check out my third US city (Seattle was the first place i visited in the US in 2000 - yes I planned my visits around Pearl Jam ;) )
    You get to throw teabags in the ocean, it's very exciting, you build up a thirst and then get some sam adams.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    Drove to boston a few years ago with my now wife. We stayed at the Motel 6 in Braintree. It was the cheapest hotel we could find, it had free parking and it was right actross the street from the red line of the T so it was super easy to get into the city when you ride the subway for like 20 mintues. Not sure how easy it would be to get to Braintree if you were flying into Boston though.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

While I am not familiar with the Boston Public Transportation system, I cannot conceive a possible way it is older or a bigger pain in the ass than Philly.

i used the train from the airport to downtown and the orange line and i didn't think it was bad at all.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    KO282453 wrote:
    Fixed.

:lol:

I needed that laugh.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    tell me your not proud of D.C.? i mean dear god, it's got to be the most evil place in the world. i spenta weekend there once, had to fight off a gang and step over bums and decline hookers just to get a pizza at night., you can see all monuments, but there nothing to be proud of after the sun goes down.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

It is both older and less efficient... but does have more championships and a better fanbase than the Philly public transportation system
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It is both older and less efficient... but does have more championships and a better fanbase than the Philly public transportation system
    :lol::clap: Bravo!
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    I have no idea why they don't make hotel rooms for single people. People travel alone all the time whether it be business or for whatever, it doesn't make any sense that you have to pay the same price as you do for two people! I have a wedding to go to at a really expensive hotel/resort, and I have no one to share with, it just comes down to not being fair. Sorry I'm griping without offering any solutions, but I'm not sure there are any in Boston or anywhere else!

But don't worry about what people said about the public transportation. Yes it is very old (yes older than Philly) and yes, there are delays ALL THE TIME, and yes, for some reason the T only crosses the river in one place which is annoying, BUT it is totally usable, generally reliable, and probably won't get to the level of total frustration if you're only in town for a week on vacation as opposed to relying on it day and day out! There's not only the T but plenty of buses and cabs if you really need them but they are MUCH more expensive than cabs in NY. Parking isn't that much worse than any other big city, but driving is because the streets are VERY irregular and congested to boot.

It's easy to get around a LOT of Boston on foot though! It's very small geographically, and all pedestrian-friendly.
    Lauri wrote:
    I have no idea why they don't make hotel rooms for single people. People travel alone all the time whether it be business or for whatever, it doesn't make any sense that you have to pay the same price as you do for two people! I have a wedding to go to at a really expensive hotel/resort, and I have no one to share with, it just comes down to not being fair. Sorry I'm griping without offering any solutions, but I'm not sure there are any in Boston or anywhere else!

But don't worry about what people said about the public transportation. Yes it is very old (yes older than Philly) and yes, there are delays ALL THE TIME, and yes, for some reason the T only crosses the river in one place which is annoying, BUT it is totally usable, generally reliable, and probably won't get to the level of total frustration if you're only in town for a week on vacation as opposed to relying on it day and day out! There's not only the T but plenty of buses and cabs if you really need them but they are MUCH more expensive than cabs in NY. Parking isn't that much worse than any other big city, but driving is because the streets are VERY irregular and congested to boot.

It's easy to get around a LOT of Boston on foot though! It's very small geographically, and all pedestrian-friendly.

Single people make less money.

It's easy to get around a LOT of Boston on foot though! It's very small geographically, and all pedestrian-friendly.[/quote] takes about 20 minutes to walk from one side to the other.

:( about as impressive as cleveland
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    stay with acousticguy
    he rents out rooms very cheaply
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Thanks again for all the replies.
    Yeah, don't get it either that hotel price stays the same.. Well, guess I just might have to cut the trip a little shorter. Just figured out that my travel dates fall onto Labor Day Weekend.. Guess that doesn't help my cause.
    Anyways, have found a few nice places to stay in but am unsure if the area. Can anyone recommend which area would be best for easy access to the touristy thing, not too expensive and that is safe fir a female to use public transport to at nighttime. Am not too worried about the Boston public transport. Live in Dublin and think we have the worst public transport in the world. It's not even a system;)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,710
    KO282453 wrote:

:( about as impressive as cleveland
    You know, your first post was kind of cute and almost funny.
    But everyone else is trying to give a fellow fan a little help planning a trip and your subsequent posts are really unnecessary.
    This weekend we rock Portland