Where is Binaural, Riot Act, and Avacado?

pistol3pistol3 Posts: 189
edited July 2010 in The Porch
Just saw concert #12 in London, and was in Dublin and Belfast prior to that. Had a blast! I think that Belfast was the best I've seen. One thing, I'm wondering if the band doesn't like Binaural, Riot Act, and Avacado. In three shows we heard Life Wasted Reprise, which might barely counts as a full song, IMO, it's like an interlude. We did get Insignificance and Save You in Belfast, and World Wide Suicide in London. Maybe no one else likes those albums, but I think they kept the band pretty relevant in the last ten years. London was basically a combo of the Ireland shows and YL closed all three, not much of the usual keep-em-off-balance change-up. I hate saying I was disappointed because they rocked and I'm grateful to have been there. But, within the realm of Pearl Jam, it just wasn't quite what I thought it'd be at Hyde Park. Anyway, just thought I'd see what others thought.
VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22, Denver 9/22/22, Sacramento 5/13/24, LA 5/21/24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chris32482chris32482 Posts: 213
    I think Pearl Jam always wants to get several of the standards in there for the casual fan; Corduroy, Small Town, Even Flow, Alive, Betterman, Daughter, Ledbetter. And they also like to play several from their latest album, obviously. Sometimes they'll throw a couple rare ones in there for the die-hard fans. So that doesn't leave a lot of space left for Binaural, Riot Act, and Avacado songs.
  • pistol3pistol3 Posts: 189
    Yeah I agree with that. The variety of songs they can break out is what I love about them though, just felt like I saw the same concert twice. I understand they can only fit in so many songs. Just didn't think I'd hear the same five from Backspacer three nights in a row. And I thought they'd play Baba O'Riley in London instead of YL again. That's why Belfast was so good, hearing Tremor Christ and Lowlight back to back is a rarity.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22, Denver 9/22/22, Sacramento 5/13/24, LA 5/21/24
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Ther being punished for being downers. They'll be played again when they learn there lesson.
  • well it is a lot of songs to remember. i dont think they can just play anything whenever they want, at least not perfectly. they played a ton at Philly, but they werent that great on many of them.

i have a feeling they will trickle back in over time, though.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    They are not yet off punishment.
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited July 2010
    There are songs of each of these albums that are as good as anything (if not better) than any of the songs they have written. Unfortunately they are not just playing to ten club - and really, let's face it, the really hardcore ten club fan are propbably the only ones crying out for non 'standards' (as much as it pains me to say that). When they play festivals they are going to have to play the majority of their 'hits' to those who have probably never bought a PJ album in the audience.

It's sad, but just about every review i see in the 'casual rock press' (newspapers etc) criticise the band for not playing Jeremy or Alive or Black etc at a show when the omit them for a 'rarity'. They can't win no matter what they do. Walking out of MSG2 I heard a couple of people complaining that they didn't play Evenflow. :roll:

Maybe the idea of a 10c only small venue side show in each city/region would kick arse and allow for some wicked (even if sloppy) set lists, but I just don't think it is going to happen.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    MrSmith wrote:
    well it is a lot of songs to remember. i dont think they can just play anything whenever they want, at least not perfectly. they played a ton at Philly, but they werent that great on many of them.

i have a feeling they will trickle back in over time, though.

Yea, just about everyone of those songs in Philly sucked :roll: But, yea, they need to pull out some from these albums.
  • There are songs of each of these albums that are as good as anything (if not better) than any of the songs they have written. Unfortunately they are not just playing to ten club - and really, let's face it, the really hardcore ten club fan are propbably the only ones crying out for non 'standards' (as much as it pains me to say that). When they play festivals they are going to have to play the majority of their 'hits' to those who have probably never bought a PJ album in the audience.

It's sad, but just about every review i see in the 'casual rock press' (newspapers etc) criticise the band for not playing Jeremy or Alive or Black etc at a show when the omit them for a 'rarity'. They can't win no matter what they do. Walking out of MSG2 I heard a couple of people complaining that they didn't play Evenflow. :roll:

Maybe the idea of a 10c only small venue side show in each city/region would kick arse and allow for some wicked (even if sloppy) set lists, but I just don't think it is going to happen.
    yeah and the Europe tour is pretty much a festival circuit tour, so i dont think they are gonna play much of anything that isnt Backspacer or the hits.

i dont mind though. i like to go with non pJ fans to those shows and want them to hear the songs they know (with a few others). they generally enjoy it.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,147
    MrSmith wrote:
    the Europe tour is pretty much a festival circuit tour, so i dont think they are gonna play much of anything that isnt Backspacer or the hits.

true. but it would be cool if the guy's played 2 to 3 songs take from each 9 studio records @ the show's. for example to the die hard binaural fan. going to a pearl jam show drooling to hear something from that record, and that show he/she attend, where 30+ tracks were played, not one binaural track was heard. atleast 1 track of the record, even a timbit, a riff .. anything!
  • demetrios wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    the Europe tour is pretty much a festival circuit tour, so i dont think they are gonna play much of anything that isnt Backspacer or the hits.

true. but it would be cool if the guy's played 2 to 3 songs take from each 9 studio records @ the show's. for example to the die hard binaural fan. going to a pearl jam show drooling to hear something from that record, and that show he/she attend, where 30+ tracks were played, not one binaural track was heard. atleast 1 track of the record, even a timbit, a riff .. anything!
    yeah its really strange that they dont play much of the Matt Cameron albums.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    There are songs of each of these albums that are as good as anything (if not better) than any of the songs they have written. Unfortunately they are not just playing to ten club - and really, let's face it, the really hardcore ten club fan are propbably the only ones crying out for non 'standards' (as much as it pains me to say that). When they play festivals they are going to have to play the majority of their 'hits' to those who have probably never bought a PJ album in the audience.

I agree!...and also I would be HAPPY if they walked out played EVEN FLOW and then walked off!...haha :P
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    A festival is no place to test an audience
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.