FIFA gives its fans the middle finger

milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
FIFA says that showing replays of blown calls to a stadium full of people is "a mistake" and will now censor replays to keep fans from getting upset when FIFA officials screw up.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5335440/ce/us/fifa-censor-stadium-replays&cc=5901?ver=us

Or, perhaps having a system that allows your officials to blow calls so frequently and egregiously is the mistake, and that needs to be addressed...
To me, this move just seems like FIFA is saying, "Look, we know we are wrong, we know our system is wrong, but we don't really care to change. We would rather just make it easier for ourselves to have some plausible deniability. So fuck you."
"The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Baseball does the same thing. They don't show replays of really close plays like that on the screens at the game.
  • matabelematabele Posts: 277
    They are assholes, even to the point of denying local vendors opportunities to make a bit of cash, did you see the John Stewart Daily Show world cup segment? None of the official merchandise was African orientated, the whole thing is geared to fill the pockets of the top people, we need a new competition.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Baseball does the same thing. They don't show replays of really close plays like that on the screens at the game.

Hmm... they do in Detroit...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Yeah, when video boards got popular they used to show instant replays but the crowds started getting pretty riot-y when the ump's call was shown to be wrong. Now MLB policy is to only show replays for things that are for-sure or a close play where the ump is proven correct. They don;t want people storming the field and beating up some umpire.
    "Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
    Yeah, when video boards got popular they used to show instant replays but the crowds started getting pretty riot-y when the ump's call was shown to be wrong. Now MLB policy is to only show replays for things that are for-sure or a close play where the ump is proven correct. They don;t want people storming the field and beating up some umpire.

Maybe it was some kind of coup or something, but during Armando Galaraga's bid for a perfect game, they showed the clearly blown call on the big screen over and over again.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    milarso wrote:
    FIFA says that showing replays of blown calls to a stadium full of people is "a mistake" and will now censor replays to keep fans from getting upset when FIFA officials screw up.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5335440/ce/us/fifa-censor-stadium-replays&cc=5901?ver=us

Or, perhaps having a system that allows your officials to blow calls so frequently and egregiously is the mistake, and that needs to be addressed...
    To me, this move just seems like FIFA is saying, "Look, we know we are wrong, we know our system is wrong, but we don't really care to change. We would rather just make it easier for ourselves to have some plausible deniability. So fuck you."

They are a bunch of old pumpus goats that run FIFA ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    milarso wrote:
    Yeah, when video boards got popular they used to show instant replays but the crowds started getting pretty riot-y when the ump's call was shown to be wrong. Now MLB policy is to only show replays for things that are for-sure or a close play where the ump is proven correct. They don;t want people storming the field and beating up some umpire.

Maybe it was some kind of coup or something, but during Armando Galaraga's bid for a perfect game, they showed the clearly blown call on the big screen over and over again.

You sure? I was pretty sure I read that they didn't and it would have been a near riot if they did.
  • milarso wrote:

The only thing I can think of was the game was over, OR the scoreboard people just said "fuck it, we'll take the fine". :) but it is a general rule not to get the ump killed. i don;t know about the Galarraga game specifically.

If you are at a game you can sort of tell when a bad call happens because the scoreboard shows some cartoon dogs or whatever rather than the replay.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Not sure about baseball... I know in the past, the policy was to show it once and be done with it. Maybe that changed in recent years.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Anyway you can see clearly from this view that the ball had not crossed the goal line.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You sure? I was pretty sure I read that they didn't and it would have been a near riot if they did.

I didn't see it with my own eyes, but my coworker was at the game and said that they replayed it like five times, even when the last batter was batting and after the game was over. Perhaps he's a liar though... :lol:
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    I used to think that NBA officials were the worst, but after watching some of this garbage with the World Cup, FIFA refs are without a doubt the WORST.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,375
    After watching this the past few weeks, I would guess that soccer LOST more fans in the USA. The game and its players are almost laughable to me. This borders on WWF or WWE whatever the wrestling is called these days.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    After watching this the past few weeks, I would guess that soccer LOST more fans in the USA. The game and its players are almost laughable to me. This borders on WWF or WWE whatever the wrestling is called these days.

yea 2 weeks of soccer was more than enough

keep it overseas
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825

Yeah, I can see why some would think that. All the flopping bullshit is really out of hand. Watching that US-Ghana game, it seemed like every time there was a battle for a ball someone on Ghana was laying on the ground like they got shot only to get up a few seconds later. It was getting pretty ridiculous.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I actually agree that the replay rule would hurt the game

now how a bout a goal judge (or two) at each end that has the final say

kinda like hockey
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

keep it overseas
    says the man who was rooting for shitaly and was all over the 2010 fifa world cup thread every day shitaly was playing. My how quickly we change our tune.

*cough FRAUD cough*

Sorry I had a bug in my throat
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    metsfan wrote:

keep it overseas
    says the man who was rooting for shitaly and was all over the 2010 fifa world cup thread every day shitaly was playing. My how quickly we change our tune.

*cough FRAUD cough*

Sorry I had a bug in my throat

yea exactly the team i root for is out after getting fucked by the refs on an offsides call AND EVEN BETTER than that a goal where a player made a save inside the net...another gem of a call.GREAT GAME :roll:

by the way how is team ireland doing? :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    I used to think that NBA officials were the worst, but after watching some of this garbage with the World Cup, FIFA refs are without a doubt the WORST.
    atleast the NBA refs stood to make a lil money from the outcome of the games... whats FIFA's excuse? :P
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    FIFA :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg