Insanity - Is it you or me?

DreamOfAngelsDreamOfAngels Posts: 829
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Insanity - same behavior but expecting different results...

How it takes such patience and strength to watch and support people as they attempt to run through a wall, over and over again, when you can see the door is right around the corner. Understandably, they become frustrated. Many times, they blame their pain and frustration on the wall. You can provide ideas for how they might be in less pain if they would back up and look for the door but you can't make them... so every time they hit the wall, you listen to their cry, you suggest they look for the door, they don't, and you say to yourself - maybe next time... maybe next time they will try a different behavior...

You can't make someone see what they aren't ready to see so they can save themselves but you can continue to support them while they exist and hope that someday... they will be ready and able.

Sometimes, though, I become weak. I lose hope. I start to question...I question whether I should do this for eternity... at some point... do I walk away? Am I the insane one for hoping someday it will be different? Am I the insane one for continuing to offer support and expecting, or hoping, for different results?

You could really apply this to many facets of life. We continue to fight for what we believe in - hoping someday it will make a difference. Sometimes though.. you get weak and have to stop and catch your breath before you start fighting again. This form is not typically considered insanity.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    insanity is quite the twist
    even for walls and doorways
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Yes! What a great way to say that.

Maybe we are supposed to walk through walls and I'm the one that needs to step back. If that wasn't your point, well, that's what I got out of it anyway. :)

One question remains though... why is it insanity in some cases and pure hope and optimism in others? Does that question make sense?
  • Here's another example of the wall vs. door.

Take a child who is learning to ride a bike. They are afraid so they do it with their eyes closed. Are they insane for continuing to try to ride their bike with their eyes closed and expecting they won't crash? We support them each time they fall and encourage them to open their eyes the next time. They fall again. They blame the bike. They blame the road. They blame the cat in the road. They blame you. They try again. You continue to support them. At some point though, you get weak. You grow tired of wiping the tears, washing the wounds, applying the ice. When do you stop feeding words of encouragement? When do you decide to let them to crash without offering support by listening?

Then again... maybe I'm the one insane for not seeing the freedom that exists in riding with your eyes closed... I see the benefits of riding with my eyes open (i.e. I don't crash). I am happy not crashing. I think that's the key in my thoughts on this is that the other person is clearly frustrated, angered, in so much pain, unhappy... and unwilling or unable to do anything about it.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Insanity - same behavior but expecting different results...

How it takes such patience and strength to watch and support people as they attempt to run through a wall, over and over again, when you can see the door is right around the corner. Understandably, they become frustrated. Many times, they blame their pain and frustration on the wall. You can provide ideas for how they might be in less pain if they would back up and look for the door but you can't make them... so every time they hit the wall, you listen to their cry, you suggest they look for the door, they don't, and you say to yourself - maybe next time... maybe next time they will try a different behavior...

You can't make someone see what they aren't ready to see so they can save themselves but you can continue to support them while they exist and hope that someday... they will be ready and able.

Sometimes, though, I become weak. I lose hope. I start to question...I question whether I should do this for eternity... at some point... do I walk away? Am I the insane one for hoping someday it will be different? Am I the insane one for continuing to offer support and expecting, or hoping, for different results?

You could really apply this to many facets of life. We continue to fight for what we believe in - hoping someday it will make a difference. Sometimes though.. you get weak and have to stop and catch your breath before you start fighting again. This form is not typically considered insanity.

I don't know what experience you are having that has made you post this but I "hear" what you are saying.
    I am relating it to an experience of my own and what you have written has made me think deep and cry (no worries ... everything is making me cry these days) ... especially the lines
    "I question whether I should do this for eternity... at some point... do I walk away? Am I the insane one for hoping someday it will be different? Am I the insane one for continuing to offer support and expecting, or hoping, for different results?" ...
    I so want my situation to be resolved I am scared of losing it completely but what I am most scared of is the loneliness ... those lines you wrote had me thinking ... could I have lived with the difficulties for eternity? ... I thought love would solve/heal/change the stuff that wasn't quite right ... but if I am honest although these days are filled with pain your words have made me admit that in time it will have probably been for the best ... I need us to be equally healthy and if we can't I need to insure my own health ... I can't be responsible for someone else's health even although I want to pick the both of us run to a safe haven and heal ... each day without that opportunity is a day further away from eternity but closer to future hope.

Thank you for posting
    With gratitude and hope
    XXOOXX
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • I have existed in many different emotional states in my life, all over the map, and with varying levels of darkness, isolation, understanding, clarity, strength, happiness, determination, love, etc.. one thing I tend to always find is optimism. I am frequently referred to as the eternal optimist. No matter how dark of a sky, I can find light. I wonder if I'm that way because I'm blind or naive, or just pure and honest... At some point, should I accept reality? Should I let go of hope of a better tomorrow? Should I start embracing reality as it exists today? When, and how, do you decide its time to switch between hope and optimism and settle for reality? Do you ever have to stop being hopeful? Is it wrong to remain hopeful...

Do some people that have been habitually abused believe that some day the abuser will stop? Does the abuser typically stop after saying they want to stop? That's what I'm talking about... the hope and optimism that the abuser will stop vs. reality which says it's not likely. Is a person deemed to be insane to stay - or - are they a hidden angel for remaining supportive and patient in such a difficult situation?

For any of you that know me - this post should NOT be interpreted as "I'm being abused". I'm having a terrible time finding the words to describe what I'm trying to ask or explain.. I use pictures a lot.. maybe its time to write a poem instead of trying to articulate in a paragraph.
  • stargirl69 wrote:
    I so want my situation to be resolved I am scared of losing it completely but what I am most scared of is the loneliness ... those lines you wrote had me thinking ... could I have lived with the difficulties for eternity? ... I thought love would solve/heal/change the stuff that wasn't quite right ... but if I am honest although these days are filled with pain your words have made me admit that in time it will have probably been for the best ... I need us to be equally healthy and if we can't I need to insure my own health ... I can't be responsible for someone else's health even although I want to pick the both of us run to a safe haven and heal ... each day without that opportunity is a day further away from eternity but closer to future hope.

Stargirl69 - I've read your post multiple times. I can read where you might be going in different ways. Are you remaining supportive and hopeful but doing so with detached arms so that you remain healthy (a step away from eternal pain)? or Are you turning to walk way so you can remain healthy (a step away from eternal pain)?
    Take care!
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Insanity. It's a beautiful thing.

Working out well for me.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolf wrote:

Working out well for me.
    If you like it... is it insanity?
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    the wolf wrote:

Working out well for me.

I'm pretty sure it is,... but I'm okay with that.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Yes! What a great way to say that.

Maybe we are supposed to walk through walls and I'm the one that needs to step back. If that wasn't your point, well, that's what I got out of it anyway. :)

One question remains though... why is it insanity in some cases and pure hope and optimism in others? Does that question make sense?
    your mind is through the door and wall.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • the wolf wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

Working out well for me.

I'm pretty sure it is,... but I'm okay with that.
    Ok. You get a point then. That's "1" for Wolf! she yells...

If you were dissatisfied with it, well then... that would require further analysis... thus the subject of this post. ;)