Options

Early Album Production

HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
edited June 2010 in The Porch
So Ten underwent a pretty significant re-working by Brendan O'Brien after years of the band (or members of the band) being dissatisfied (my word) with how it ultimately turned out. I don't have a direct quote, but I know the words "too slick" and "too much reverb" came up in the band's descriptions.

Temple of the Dog was produced in pretty much the exact same time frame and by the same producer, Rick Parashar. I've only ever heard Gossard and Ament say really positive things about how that album turned out (see this interview from 1992 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J9Q8-XgVDs&feature=related). I can even recall a recent interview where Gossard, when asked which record he's most proud of, says without hesitation TOTD.

Does this mean that they thought the level of studio production and effect was appropriate for the TOTD record, but not TEN? Or is that an assumption?

When it comes up about how proud they are of the TOTD album are they talking about how it came together as a collaborative effort between friends and musicians and they are completely glossing over the experience from a production standpoint? If so, would they, if given the chance, remix/remaster TOTD?

I ask this admitting I really like the TOTD album as it stands. I also really didn't find anything wrong with the original mix of Ten though...
"A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    They never had any issues with Rick Parasher's production of Ten as far as I know, it was Tim Palmer's mixes.