Options

Wishlist

Eddiechedder10Eddiechedder10 Posts: 30
edited December 2013 in Words and Music...Communication
"I wish I was a neutron bomb for once I could go off"

I love this line just because we all feel like it sometimes. It describes us as humans perfectly no matter how happy we are sometimes theres always something boiling beneath the pot
EDDIECHED
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    agree
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    dhealy90dhealy90 Posts: 124
    Very well put sir.
  • Options
    +1
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    i wish i was a messenger and all the news was good...................we all want to bring happiness to people and feel good about what we do, that's pretty awesome
  • Options
    RN119677 wrote:
    i wish i was a messenger and all the news was good...................we all want to bring happiness to people and feel good about what we do, that's pretty awesome

that IS awesome
    both valid points
    i think everyone can identify
    with at least one wish on the list ;)
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    This is Pearl Jam's second best song ever!!! :D "I wish I was the verb 'to trust' and never let you down"
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    'I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me' : one of my favourite lines ever.
    Along with :
    'I wish I was the evidence, I wish I was the grounds, for 50 millions hands upraised and opened toward the sky' ----> Faithful's companion.

I don't get the hate for Wishlist. It's brilliant. It appears musically simple but it's very deep and complex while purposedly repetitive and casual in tone. It sounds intimate but it really is universal and thought-provoking.

I'd hazard a guess that people who don't like it just don't get it....
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    "I wish I was the verb to trust and never let you down.." This always reminds me to think this way...It's a powerful lyric, that and "I wish I was the souvenier you kept your housekey on" There's a somone like that in my life.. lol I too do not get the dislike for this song.. I LOVE this song.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    StillHere wrote:
    RN119677 wrote:

that IS awesome
    both valid points
    I agree.. and is that your doggie??? he/she is cute!!
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:
    RN119677 wrote:

that IS awesome
    both valid points
    I agree.. and is that your doggie??? he/she is cute!!

yep, hankie
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I remember watching them play this song on Letterman to promote Yield and was thinking, "hey I know that drummer." :lol:

Also, Ed looks drunk and angry in this. maybe that's why the last line is, "I wish, I wish, I wish I wish, I guess it never sucks!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wH6gkhirhw
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    "I wish I was the souvenir you kept your house key on."

I don't really know why, but this line is the most powerful line in the song to me. To me, this symbolizes no matter how tacky or cheesey something like a key chain is, it can bring you such a warm feeling because it's associated with the warmth and comfort of your home.....almost saying what a good feeling it is to be home. The souvenir is a symbol of that warmth, and wanting to give that feeling of safety and warmth is very powerful to me.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    I wish I was the full moon shining off a camaro's hood...very visual. Reminds me of a warm summer evening when I was young
    budde_b
  • Options
    gotta say truthfully, never used to like this song that much. something about it, always made me either skip it after listening half way or just completely skip it whenever it cropped up
    but i listened to it the other night with new ears,
    i get it now :D while it's simple in structure, chords etc. the lyrics stand out. powerful, unusual striking metaphors and imagery
    i can finally say that I like Wishlist :)

I wish i was the verb to trust, and never let you down - one of my favourite lines
    and
    i wish i was the pedal brake that you depended on

:)
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    gotta say truthfully, never used to like this song that much. something about it, always made me either skip it after listening half way or just completely skip it whenever it cropped up
    but i listened to it the other night with new ears,
    i get it now :D while it's simple in structure, chords etc. the lyrics stand out. powerful, unusual striking metaphors and imagery
    i can finally say that I like Wishlist :)

I wish i was the verb to trust, and never let you down - one of my favourite lines
    and
    i wish i was the pedal brake that you depended on

:)

:thumbup: ;)
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I am a big fan of this song and I liked it from the beginning - for all the reasons you lined out here :)

That is a really nice version - f**k the pessimists! ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clwdZmLYdQs
  • Options
    Paulina87Paulina87 Poland Posts: 3,300
    Leeze wrote:
    I am a big fan of this song and I liked it from the beginning

+1 :) and I think that this song has one of my favourite lyrics!
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Paulina87 wrote:
    Leeze wrote:

Hey Paulina :) Happy new year :wave:
  • Options
    Paulina87Paulina87 Poland Posts: 3,300
    Leeze wrote:
    Paulina87 wrote:
    Leeze wrote:

Hey Paulina :) Happy new year :wave:

Happy new year to you too!!! :wave:
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    myra wrote:
    'I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me' : one of my favourite lines ever.
    Along with :
    'I wish I was the evidence, I wish I was the grounds, for 50 millions hands upraised and opened toward the sky' ----> Faithful's companion.

I don't get the hate for Wishlist. It's brilliant. It appears musically simple but it's very deep and complex while purposedly repetitive and casual in tone. It sounds intimate but it really is universal and thought-provoking.

I'd hazard a guess that people who don't like it just don't get it....
    +1
    "I wish I was the pedal break that you depended on, I wish I was the verb 'to trust' and never let you down." Its hard to even point out a favorite verse, they're all so sentimental. Love this song.
  • Options
    jodiemjodiem Posts: 133
    thefixer9 wrote:
    This is Pearl Jam's second best song ever!!! :D "I wish I was the verb 'to trust' and never let you down"

Completely agree!

This is my second favourite song (Black is first) and that is my most favourite line of the song. I am getting it tattooed on my back in a couple of weeks! :):D:):D:):D

I take the part of "never let you down" as the fact that I never want to let myself down. But I do love it in the literal sense of never wanting to let your partner/lover down... I also love the lyrics as the continual wishing to be something more...

I do heart this song...
    1995: Perth
    2006: Sydney x 2
    2009: Philly, Sydney
    2013: San Diego, LA1 & 2, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle

EV Solo - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney x 2
  • Options
    hockeygrrlhockeygrrl Posts: 141
    jodiem wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

Completely agree!

This is my second favourite song (Black is first) and that is my most favourite line of the song. I am getting it tattooed on my back in a couple of weeks! :):D:):D:):D

I take the part of "never let you down" as the fact that I never want to let myself down. But I do love it in the literal sense of never wanting to let your partner/lover down... I also love the lyrics as the continual wishing to be something more...

I do heart this song...

I hope you will share your tattoo with us once you get it done. I'm looking to get something with Force of Nature pretty soon....
    <b>One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain</b> <i>~Bob Marley</i>
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    I love that in Oz Ed sang "I wish I was a neutron bomb & I would never go off". That line's always troubled me about the song, why would Ed want a neutron bomb to ever go off? I really don't want to start any kind of political or pro or anti-nuclear discussion but IMHO they should never go off! They should not exist!
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    jodiemjodiem Posts: 133
    I hope you will share your tattoo with us once you get it done. I'm looking to get something with Force of Nature pretty soon....[/quote]

Absolutely :D Just working on the design and font now..
    1995: Perth
    2006: Sydney x 2
    2009: Philly, Sydney
    2013: San Diego, LA1 & 2, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle

EV Solo - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney x 2
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    YLed2 wrote:
    "I wish I was the souvenir you kept your house key on."

This was my favorite line in this song for a long, long time. To me, it talks about the desire to become so ingrained in someone's life, so entrenched there, that you're almost taken for granted (in a good way).

Most of us do not give much thought to whatever it is we hang our house keys on. We walk into our homes, and almost without thinking, as a matter of habit, maybe without even looking, hang our key where it is supposed to go.

We don't think much about that souvenir, or whatever it is, but it serves an indispensible purpose. It does a job. It is, in a way, here for you.

To me, the metaphor is: I want to be so "here for you" that you don't have to wonder about whether I will be or not. I'm here for you, without you having to ask. To the point where you don't even think to ask.

I've always loved that idea.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    cyndarious1cyndarious1 Posts: 430
    I love Wishlist. I don't listen to it as often as I used to, but it still puts me in a good mood when it's playing on my Iphone. I remember that Yield was the second PJ album that I listened to after Ten, and Wishlist was the first song that I immediately liked. The riff is just so simple and beautiful, and the solos are gorgeous.

The only thing is that, I don't know if you agree with this, but Yield doesn't sound so well compared to the other albums, in terms of quality, I mean. I'm glad they put it in Rearviewmirror; that version sounds excellent. I couldn't ask for more.
    November 22nd, 2005.
  • Options
    I was listening to a version of Wishlist today from MSG 2003, and I have decided it's my favorite live version of the song-just love how it seems to go on and on and never end, and I love all the extras that Eddie tacks on after the original song! :thumbup: :clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    I was listening to a version of Wishlist today from MSG 2003, and I have decided it's my favorite live version of the song-just love how it seems to go on and on and never end, and I love all the extras that Eddie tacks on after the original song! :thumbup: :clap:
    :wave: :thumbup: +1
  • Options
    "I wish I was a radio song, the one that you turned up" = I wish to be that transcendent emotive force that is the magic of music. (Think of ALL the intangible reasons you turn up a song ...)
  • Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    I wish I was the souvenir you kept your house key on I wish I was the pedal brake that you depended on I wish I was the verb 'to trust' and never let you down

I wish I was a radio song, the one that you turned up

As a married man, this means to me, being reliable for the wife and kids and the 'neutron bomb' bit at the beginning is being spontaneous for her too.

Just what I've thought about it, I am probably way off the mark and I'm certain Ed had other ideas when it was written.
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012