Options

Bonnaroo Arrival Question

LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
edited March 2008 in The Porch
After seeing the tour dates yesterday, my first thought was to head down to Tampa and West Palm for the two shows and then head up to Bonnaroo on Friday- I wouldn't arrive until Friday night at the earliest. But the more that I think about it, now I think that I might be pushing it. Our original plan was to get to Bonnaroo early Thursday morning, now I don't know what to do.

So, my questions is, how late can you arrive to Bonnaroo? I know if we arrived late on Friday night- maybe around 8 or 9 PM, how far back would we have to camp? Basically how long would the walk be to the festival area?

Thanks- I'm still looking forward to the best show of the tour- Bonnaroo- I just wish that I could see them 3 times on the tour instead of just once.
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    I wouldn't recommend getting there on Friday night at all. I suppose there's a chance you'll be put somewhere close depending on where they leave room open, but I wouldn't count on it. If you're put "in the back" it's at least a 40min walk each way. Plus, you'll miss a whole day of festival music... trust me, as great as it is to see PJ, you'll be missing out on a day and a half of great experiences as well. If this is your first Bonnaroo especially, don't cut it short just to see PJ for two more shows.
  • Options
    There also is the possibility PJ is scheduled to play on Friday night yet. Not worth it to risk not making it in time for that.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    There also is the possibility PJ is scheduled to play on Friday night yet. Not worth it to risk not making it in time for that.
    PJ will be playing Saturday night. They're the headliner.

I say, if it gets you TWO more PJ shows to arrive on Friday night, do it. Even if it's a 40 min. walk to the shows. Jesus, man. There are people on here saying they'd fuck a duck for pearl jam. What's a 40 min. walk??
  • Options
    PJ will be playing Saturday night.

Where does it say this?
  • Options
    btw, my hot and sweaty ass will be burning in the TN sun all day Sat so if you need someone to save you a spot up front it will only cost you a Heineken. :)
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    Where does it say this?
    I was born with it. It's called common sense. Not to be rude, but the headliner will play on the last big night...Saturday.
  • Options
    What's a 40 min. walk??

They're not fun at 4am after seeing music all day. Trust me, it's not worth it.
  • Options
    I was born with it. It's called common sense. Not to be rude, but the headliner will play on the last big night...Saturday.

Uh, Sunday is the last big night.

And just because they're first on the banner does not mean they will headline the final night. The Police and then Tool were listed first and second last year. Guess who played Sunday night as the "headliner"? Widespread Panic.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    Uh, Sunday is the last big night.

And just because they're first on the banner does not mean they will headline the final night. The Police and then Tool were listed first and second last year. Guess who played Sunday night as the "headliner"? Widespread Panic.
    Maybe you misread my post. HEADLINER plays SATURDAY night.
  • Options
    That's not a given, man. Don't get me wrong, it's the most likely date, but it is certainly not a guarantee until we see it.

I've been to Roo enough to know that shit changes. I wouldn't PLAN for PJ to be on Saturday night until I see it on the schedule.
  • Options
    In the Tour Section on the 10Club page a few days ago, they did have them listed as playing SAT night, but now I see that they have them listed as the generic whole weekend date:

http://www.pearljam.com/tour/

I'm sure that they will play SAT night, Jack J is playing on Sunday and Metallica is listed as playing Friday- so that leaves PJ for SAT

Another question, anyone have an idea on how far away I'd be if I arrived Thursday night instead of Fri night?

Thanks again!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    btw, my hot and sweaty ass will be burning in the TN sun all day Sat so if you need someone to save you a spot up front it will only cost you a Heineken. :)
    haha, thanks!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    I'm just trying to say be careful- it's not a given until it's official. Everything points to Saturday, certainly- history, PJs tour dates around then, other bands' schedules- but just don't expect it, you know, until the schedule is announced or we hear definitively.

In the years I've been there (04-05, 07) it's been a crapshoot as to where you end up. We've gotten there every year around noon and have ended up all over the place. Last year was the worst- a 35-40min walk each way. 05 we got withing 300 yards of the second, smaller entrance area.

I don't think there's anyone who could give a definitive answer on when the best time to arrive is.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    If you get there on Friday expect at least a 45 min walk to Centeroo. You'll also miss a lot of good music. I'd say do either Bonnaroo OR the Florida shows, but it depends what's important to you.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    I'm just trying to say be careful- it's not a given until it's official. Everything points to Saturday, certainly- history, PJs tour dates around then, other bands' schedules- but just don't expect it, you know, until the schedule is announced or we hear definitively.

In the years I've been there (04-05, 07) it's been a crapshoot as to where you end up. We've gotten there every year around noon and have ended up all over the place. Last year was the worst- a 35-40min walk each way. 05 we got withing 300 yards of the second, smaller entrance area.

I don't think there's anyone who could give a definitive answer on when the best time to arrive is.
    thanks for the info- I've heard the earlier you get there, the closer you are to the festival area, so this is true? yes?

Because now I'm considering the West Palm Beach show on Wed- and then driving up to Bonnaroo on Thursday- but I won't get there until Thursday night- I know PJ won't be playing that night- they will be in Tampa :( So, you wouldn't even recommend this?

Thanks again
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    If you get there on Friday expect at least a 45 min walk to Centeroo. You'll also miss a lot of good music. I'd say do either Bonnaroo OR the Florida shows, but it depends what's important to you.
    Well, I've already invested over $500 on Roo tickets, so I'm def in for that one
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    Well, I've already invested over $500 on Roo tickets, so I'm def in for that one
    Dude, it's up to you. I'm from fucking Utah so I'm flying in to TN either Wed night or early Thurs morning. If I could afford it, I'd definitely go to as many shows as possible. That is - as many shows as I could afford. I wouldn't let a long walk get in the way. You may miss some good shows, but you won't miss the best, which is obviously PJ.

btw, does anyone know WHEN we'll get a ROO schedule? I'm planning on camping up front all day saturday so I get a great spot for PJ but I don't want to miss Death Cab, Cat Power, Iron & Wine...damn, I could go on and on. It's really a great lineup.
  • Options
    Dude, it's up to you. I'm from fucking Utah so I'm flying in to TN either Wed night or early Thurs morning. If I could afford it, I'd definitely go to as many shows as possible. That is - as many shows as I could afford. I wouldn't let a long walk get in the way. You may miss some good shows, but you won't miss the best, which is obviously PJ.

btw, does anyone know WHEN we'll get a ROO schedule? I'm planning on camping up front all day saturday so I get a great spot for PJ but I don't want to miss Death Cab, Cat Power, Iron & Wine...damn, I could go on and on. It's really a great lineup.
    True, thanks!

I know that it's unofficial, but Pollstar has a few bands up for certain days:

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?Content=V-BTNMABM&StartSearch.x=20&StartSearch.y=12&By=All&PSKey=Y
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    LukinFan wrote:
    thanks for the info- I've heard the earlier you get there, the closer you are to the festival area, so this is true? yes?

That's not necessarily true. The people who get there the earliest (those who come Wednesday night before the gates are supposed to open) get stuck way out in BFE. I think they fill the campground back, BFE, to front, closer to the gates. Then it's just the luck of where you end up in line and where they direct you to go for your space. Of course you could still get VIP tickets and have a guaranteed closer spot.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    True, thanks!

http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?Content=V-BTNMABM&StartSearch.x=20&StartSearch.y=12&By=All&PSKey=Y
    Fuck. BB King, Cat Power, AND Iron & Wine all on Saturday?? I'm gonna need a few people to work in shifts on this front row PJ shit...
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    That's not necessarily true. The people who get there the earliest (those who come Wednesday night before the gates are supposed to open) get stuck way out in BFE. I think they fill the campground back, BFE, to front, closer to the gates. Then it's just the luck of where you end up in line and where they direct you to go for your space. Of course you could still get VIP tickets and have a guaranteed closer spot.
    Really?! I've always heard that if you get there Thursday morning then you will be put up front. Interesting...

Thanks!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options

I think the schedule is normally released a few weeks before the festival.

Last year Bonnaroo started a new system for the area closest to the main stage that they said is used in European festivals. fans have to leave this area after each performance and a new group of people are allowed in for the next band. They did this to make it allow more people to get up front without having to camp in one spot all day. Then you are free to go check to other bands earlier in the day.
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    I think the schedule is normally a few weeks before the festival.

Last year Bonnaroo started a new system for the area closest to the main stage that they said is used in European festivals. fans have to leave this area after each performance and a new group of people are allowed in for the next band. They did this to make it allow more people to get up front without having to camp in one spot all day. Then you are free to go check to other bands earlier in the day.
    Cool! So, NeilJam, how many Roos have you been to?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    I think the schedule is normally released a few weeks before the festival.

very nice.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    Because now I'm considering the West Palm Beach show on Wed- and then driving up to Bonnaroo on Thursday- but I won't get there until Thursday night- I know PJ won't be playing that night- they will be in Tampa :( So, you wouldn't even recommend this?

Well, were I in your position, I'd certainly have to say I'd consider it. There are bands playing Roo Thursday nights, but not usually anyone that's huge (though The National and The Black Angels tore shit up on Thursday night last year).

Just be aware that getting there on Thursday night may be nearly the same as getting there on Friday night. It may not... again, it's kind of a gamble no matter when you get there.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    Really?! I've always heard that if you get there Thursday morning then you will be put up front. Interesting..

I think that happened the first few years, but hasn't been happening much these last couple. As someone else said, early birds last year got stuck in the back- one of the couples I knew from another message board got stuck out there. :/
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    I think that happened the first few years, but hasn't been happening much these last couple. As someone else said, early birds last year got stuck in the back- one of the couples I knew from another message board got stuck out there. :/
    that explains a lot, thank you. Andy, how many Roos have you been to? I can't wait to make 08 my first!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    True, thanks!

Kanye on Thursday... huh.

I thought with Chris Rock doing his gig on the main stage that he might get put there on Thursday night, but he's on Friday here. Interesting.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    that explains a lot, thank you. Andy, how many Roos have you been to? I can't wait to make 08 my first!

This'll be my 4th. We splurged this year and went VIP- so it'll be a new experience for me yet. My recently married friends are going for their honeymoon, which is pretty sweet.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    Cool! So, NeilJam, how many Roos have you been to?

Been to the past 3 Roos. 06 was the best of those with Radiohead's epic performance there. Got a great spot the first 2 years then not so good last year. This year I'm going VIP so I don't have to worry about getting a good camping spot.

Here is a link to an unofficial schedule made up on another message board with info found on band websites and other sources:

http://bonnaroo.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=music&action=display&thread=1202315854