Don't worry everyone!

MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
The G20 summit is being held in here in Toronto next weekend which is costing the taxpayers 1.5 Billion in Security measures. The resident's can't go to and from their homes or jobs, and all local businesses are being shut down.

I am only moderately inconvenienced. I manage a hotel and have to stay in house away from my family for 10 days straight!!!

But don't worry...when these leaders get together for a day and a half, (at a cost of about $800,000 per minute) they will claim world peace, Stop Climate Change, feed the poor, control population growth, solve the debt crisis and figure out how to plug the BP hole. So by this time next week - everything will be just fine. :roll:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yay!
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    The G20 summit is being held in here in Toronto next weekend which is costing the taxpayers 1.5 Billion in Security measures. The resident's can't go to and from their homes or jobs, and all local businesses are being shut down.

I am only moderately inconvenienced. I manage a hotel and have to stay in house away from my family for 10 days straight!!!

But don't worry...when these leaders get together for a day and a half, (at a cost of about $800,000 per minute) they will claim world peace, Stop Climate Change, feed the poor, control population growth, solve the debt crisis and figure out how to plug the BP hole. So by this time next week - everything will be just fine. :roll:
    Yeah... exactly.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • The whole world will be different soon...
    The whole world will be relieving
    Love ain't Love until you give it up!
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Do you get to see the fake lake? :lol:
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873

On a completely unrelated note, I love your Avatar. One of the best moments in one of my favourite films. "It is a Sweater!" :D

On point though, yeah the G20 is incredibly pointless. Sorry you can't see your family for 10 days mate. That sucks a fat one.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • I get more annoyed by this summit and the incovenience it's going to cause each day. I seriously do not understand why it needs to be held here in the middle of June. And why so much money is being spent on security, why with all the money already spent, they cannot compensate the vendors who are losing a week's work of wages.

Sorry you'll miss your family, but I'm glad to hear all the world's problems will be solved after this. :shock:
    Why'd they have to have it in the city??
    Why not have it somewhere else in the province and then you dont have to put security on every street corner.

Is Harper trying to show off or something? Governments are so dumb.
    Maybe he can give them all a powerpoint presentation on all his beautiful Canada Action Plan billboards the conservatives are spending so much fucking money on... stimulating the billboard economy i guess.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014

I see your point, and every resident of every other city these summits are held in will see your point too.
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    There are some very bad people coming to our city. This is going to be very very ugly. The Prostests are starting today.
    There are some very bad people coming to our city. This is going to be very very ugly. The Prostests are starting today.
    yeah! stick it to the man! ;)
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I've got my gasmask ready and am heading to downtown TO
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    This is just great.
    The Australian Prime Minister flies out tomorrow to attend this meeting, and tonight the Aussie politicians are in a special meeting, fighting to throw him out of power.

What a waste of the space time continuium.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Do you get to see the fake lake? :lol:
    looooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllll!

It's too bad there are no natural lakes in Canada :(
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    haffajappa wrote:
    Why not have it somewhere else in the province and then you dont have to put security on every street corner.

Maybe he can give them all a powerpoint presentation on all his beautiful Canada Action Plan billboards the conservatives are spending so much fucking money on... stimulating the billboard economy i guess.

this is an intentional screw job to toronto ... a city that has never voted for him ... despite every expert telling them to hold the event at exhibition grounds where it is self-contained and has an already existing security perimeter ... they went above all that advice to hold it in the worst possible spot in the city ... for both security and impact on locals ...

this is harper essentially being harper ... fuck you if you aren't a friend of mine ... meanwhile ... all the ex-Harris cronies who now work for Harper and getting loads out of it ... new airport in North Bay that isn't being used ... huge infrastructure projects in Clement's riding which won't even be done in time for the summit in Muskoka ...
    These protesters are hard core. You should hear some of the shit that the police have already found......
    polaris_x wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

this is an intentional screw job to toronto ... a city that has never voted for him ... despite every expert telling them to hold the event at exhibition grounds where it is self-contained and has an already existing security perimeter ... they went above all that advice to hold it in the worst possible spot in the city ... for both security and impact on locals ...

this is harper essentially being harper ... fuck you if you aren't a friend of mine ... meanwhile ... all the ex-Harris cronies who now work for Harper and getting loads out of it ... new airport in North Bay that isn't being used ... huge infrastructure projects in Clement's riding which won't even be done in time for the summit in Muskoka ...
    Stephen I-spend-money-on-glorifying-my-action-plan-instead-of-using-it-to-stimulate-anything Harper.
    You know i was in Sayward the other day, population 410, and there were Canada Action Plan billboards everywhere... same thing with Tofino. REALLY? Do you really need to put up your 5000 dollar billboards to advertise to a population of 400 people?!

Stephen Harper only gets voted in because of all the towns outside the urban centers that are filled with bible thumpers who just would like nothing more to stroke his cashmere sweaters. Towns like mine :(
    hahaha this made me laugh

British Prime Minister David Cameron, of course, has access to Huntsville and the cool waters of Muskoka Lake. He took a dip early Friday under the watchful eyes of massive security forces.

"I think it's the safest swim I'm ever going to go for," Cameron told Canadian broadcaster CBC. "There were about two police ribs," he said, referring to rigid inflatable boats. "I don't know if there were actually frogmen under the water, but I wouldn't have been surprised."

it symbolizes the entire security fiasco
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,696
    Boy those protesters sure did some damage yesterday. I really didn't think things were going to get that far out of hand. No wonder the Bluejays had to move their series against the Phillies out of TO. But seriously, will Canada tax payers be respopnsible for the clean up/damage tab as well (seen a couple of pics with burnt out cop cars) or do these other nations help chip in for the clean up tab. I hope so
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I briefly saw the protesters on tonights News, it makes me wonder if they actually know what the G20 is all about or is it just deliquents getting thier rocks off?........since when is it ok to destroy innocent peoples property?.....I'm courious to know what they are trying to demonstrate.

Anyone here participate in the riots? What's your thoughts?
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Jo wrote:
    I briefly saw the protesters on tonights News, it makes me wonder if they actually know what the G20 is all about or is it just deliquents getting thier rocks off?........since when is it ok to destroy innocent peoples property?.....I'm courious to know what they are trying to demonstrate.

Anyone here participate in the riots? What's your thoughts?

Nope, definitely not a participant. It's a real shame, it's usually just a bunch of anarchists who do absolutely nothing to actually advance any particular agenda. They just out to hijack through violence, arson and vandalisim, the valid issues being protested all for their own self-aggrandisement. Pathetic :roll:
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Boy those protesters sure did some damage yesterday. I really didn't think things were going to get that far out of hand. No wonder the Bluejays had to move their series against the Phillies out of TO. But seriously, will Canada tax payers be respopnsible for the clean up/damage tab as well (seen a couple of pics with burnt out cop cars) or do these other nations help chip in for the clean up tab. I hope so

Nope, I think we (Cdn taxpayers) are on the hook for all those costs :x
    haffajappa wrote:
    hahaha this made me laugh

British Prime Minister David Cameron, of course, has access to Huntsville and the cool waters of Muskoka Lake. He took a dip early Friday under the watchful eyes of massive security forces.

"I think it's the safest swim I'm ever going to go for," Cameron told Canadian broadcaster CBC. "There were about two police ribs," he said, referring to rigid inflatable boats. "I don't know if there were actually frogmen under the water, but I wouldn't have been surprised."

it symbolizes the entire security fiasco

You know, I agree that this is completely ridiculous, $1 billion+ being spent on security, but realistically, these are the times that we live in. There are a tonne of yahoos out there who would just love to make their name by assassinating a world leader or worse. It's high time that these high-profile gatherings become more fiscally responsible, after all that's what their so-called meetings are supposed to be dealing with - fiscal responsibility!!. Security should be paid for equally by all participating countries, with additional security for certain leader, being paid for by their own tax-base. This should apply to the Olympics, World Cup, etc.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,696
    You know, I agree that this is completely ridiculous, $1 billion+ being spent on security, but realistically, these are the times that we live in. There are a tonne of yahoos out there who would just love to make their name by assassinating a world leader or worse. It's high time that these high-profile gatherings become more fiscally responsible, after all that's what their so-called meetings are supposed to be dealing with - fiscal responsibility!!. Security should be paid for equally by all participating countries, with additional security for certain leader, being paid for by their own tax-base. This should apply to the Olympics, World Cup, etc.[/quote]

100% agree, host nation shouldn't have to pay for the entire clean up or security bill, when that money could go towards alot of other things that are needed in these economic times...Hospitals, schools, etc.
    I could care less if we never hosted to G20 or G8
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    :lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
    That was not a fun day. Going to be worse today.
    On the National they were talking about all the po po working overtime ...god that must completely hike the security budget even more wouldnt it? Some of them doing 17 hour shifts, jesus!
    And then they're staying in hotels to boot... These are Toronto police I'm talking about... That's a lot of $$