Options

Posters real or fake???

primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,351
edited June 2010 in The Porch
Is there anyway to tell for sure if a poster is real or a fake? Reason I'm asking is cause i've become skeptical of a certain seller on ebay.
Summerfest 7/8/95
Missoula 6/20/98
Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
Champaign 4/23/03
Alpine Valley 6/21/03
Missoula 8/29/05
Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
Grand Rapids 5/19/06
Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
Tampa 6/12/08
Chicago 8/23/09
Indy 5/7/10
Alpine Valley x2 2011
Wrigley 2013
Milwaukee 14
Telluride 16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm. There isn't like a Notary seal on them or anything. Most artists have web pages where you can view their work. Maybe check there.
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    Yield151Yield151 Posts: 267
    can you pm me the sellers name if you dont want to post it here..... I am only asking because I am bidding on several PJ and DMB posters on Ebay right now
  • Options
    AmentsArmyAmentsArmy Posts: 78
    PM me as well, if you don't mind. I'm similarly curious, as there a lot of rare "mint" posters out there, that are going for significant sums of money.
    Rapid City - June 23rd, 1998

"I will hold the candle, till it burns up my arm..."
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    I had a problem several months ago w/ a Brad Klausen Showbox '04 print. Two of us (shep and myself) both were bidding on it. Shep won, but the seller offered me a "second chance" offer, which tipped a lot of people off around here that they may be fake.

Shep contacted BK directly who, based on hi-res images of the prints, confirmed they were legit.

If it's BK, he can usually help out. He's a solid dude. Can't say one way or another about any other artists, but BK genuinely cares. If you're worried about one of his, shoot him a note via his webpage (artillery design).
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    Yea, BK was best kind about it. I'm not sure how some other artists would be, but he'd definitely help you out.... I've questioned him a couple of times about different posters of his on eBay, and he's always been really helpful. Asked him another question about a Keyon Hall AP that had a sketchy looking signature on it (most recently), and he confirmed it was legit. Unfortunately I still didn't win the bid...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    this seller has already sold several of the 2 posters i'm concerned about. I emailed him and asked how many he has left. He responded "10 or so". All listed as mint condition. I've seen these same posters in the past go from between $150 -200 on ebay. He has over 1500 positive ratings and looks like all sells are of posters. I know these posters were hard to come by. Thats why I find it strange he seems to have so many and all mint condition. Seems like a red flag to me.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Post the ebay sale..
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    it's probably ninersfan..... hey taper, where are you? ;)
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    release30 wrote:
    Post the ebay sale..
    makes sense not to drag the guys name through the mud until more is known... PM is fine

just email the artist(s) and get their professional opinion
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    it's probably ninersfan..... hey taper, where are you? ;)
    nope...I'm well aware about him.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    Well, as someone who has been collecting since '91, used to be a participating memember of BRY, and is in the process of selling my entire collection http://www.expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=1462 on ebay...I can tell you guys two things:

1. All of my stuff is legit....I'm 34 and have been around longer than many of you making possible for me to actually have very RARE mint posters.

2. Ninersfan isn't just one man, but an operation of hoarders that at least used to buy stacks of posters at shows, literally running from booth to booth just to flip them later on ebay for a profit.

I understand being skeptical when you see great old posters in great condition but it doesn't mean they're fake!?!? Just means someone who loved the collecting is finally letting it go...so get them while you can....but if you don't feel comfortable, then by all means, don't bid ;)
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    BTW....I'm not the guy who is being reffered to in this post...I don't have 10 of any poster lol, but I did have 4 Virgin Promos at one time that I was gonna frame as a 4 of a kind hand....now I only have 3 to sell.
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    he speaks! :o

how much for the kozik SG/PJ and NY/PJ? links?

that is a STELLAR fuckin collection

• Options
    Thanks :lol: ...first of all, you have great taste....second, those arent going anywhere because I love all my Koziks (even non PJ) and are all gonna be framed one day (the SG/PJ ones already are ;) )

And though my collection is still overwhelming, some really good ones are already gonna as of late...i.e. Prague '96, Atlanta '00, Switz '96, a few nice '98s. It's all going as I am in serious debt unfortunately, but it will be a long slow process.
  • Options
    PJRock75 wrote:
    Thanks :lol: ...first of all, you have great taste....second, those arent going anywhere because I love all my Koziks (even non PJ) and are all gonna be framed one day (the SG/PJ ones already are ;) )

And though my collection is still overwhelming, some really good ones are already gonna as of late...i.e. Prague '96, Atlanta '00, Switz '96, a few nice '98s. It's all going as I am in serious debt unfortunately, but it will be a long slow process.
    ha... i hear ya... i have no reason to even be price checking... just cant help but know... a good price could be a good investment in the long run... i dont see it as "flipping"... just trading up my art collection little by little :)

they're lots of fun to have around the apt... really wakes me up in the morning!

• Options
    The 2 posters im concerned about are the 1991 New Years Rossit RHCP Nirvana PJ and the 1995 San Francisco Golden Gate Park PJ posters. He has sold several of each.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    The 2 posters im concerned about are the 1991 New Years Rossit RHCP Nirvana PJ and the 1995 San Francisco Golden Gate Park PJ posters. He has sold several of each.

FYI, the NYE '91 has been reprinted as a second edition, so ask if it's a 1st or 2nd....a 1st printing (original) used to go for $200 give or take $20, now I'm not to sure. The SF '95 was heavily produced and the market is saturated with them....they used to go for $150 more or less, but now I would say around half that (which sucks for me because I bought it at the higher end :( )

The problem with those two posters is that they could be faked a little easier than most since they are not silkscreens. Well, I hope that helped and if you are really looking for those two posters and don't trust this seller, I got them for sale too ;)
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    edited June 2010
    PJRock75 wrote:
    BTW....I'm not the guy who is being reffered to in this post...I don't have 10 of any poster lol, but I did have 4 Virgin Promos at one time that I was gonna frame as a 4 of a kind hand....now I only have 3 to sell.

I am pretty well versed in collecting as well....Dont you think it is strange for some to have 10 of some of those old prints? I mean, a couple maybe, but 10?? This is what would red flag it for me..hmmmm
    Post edited by pjtradeking on
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    PJRock75 wrote:

FYI, the NYE '91 has been reprinted as a second edition, so ask if it's a 1st or 2nd....a 1st printing (original) used to go for $200 give or take $20, now I'm not to sure. The SF '95 was heavily produced and the market is saturated with them....they used to go for $150 more or less, but now I would say around half that (which sucks for me because I bought it at the higher end :( )

The problem with those two posters is that they could be faked a little easier than most since they are not silkscreens. Well, I hope that helped and if you are really looking for those two posters and don't trust this seller, I got them for sale too ;)
    Actually those SF '95 posters have been going for around $20 lately. Sorry for the bad news. I know about the NYE '91 second edition. 2006 another 1,000 made. Good news though, found out they are legit after doing some investigating.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Cool, glad to hear they are legit and not another scam ruining the hobby.

And pjtradeking...yes 10 of anything is extreme, unless for the sole purpose to flip which, to anyone, with even a little integrity, makes you a deuche bag. I remember (and I think it was ninersfan) someone bought like 50 of the ugliest '06 Denver poster....god, was THAT a bad investment :lol:
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    Those two Rushmore's that are for sale right now on ebay are FAKE!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,074
    PJRock75 wrote:

I am pretty well versed in collecting as well....Dont you think it is strange for some to have 10 of some of those old prints? I mean, a couple maybe, but 10?? This is what would red flag it for me..hmmmm

It's possible. During the '05 tour, I've seen a few fan's come out from the arena with dozens of prints running to their cars to drop off. Many in groups. Same thing happen during the '06 tour & if you've read a few '10 show review's, many said they saw a few run out with stacks of poster's. Few merchandise tables don't give a shit & you can go ape shit & buy as much as you can. For trades, for selling etc.. Many year's back, wasn't somebody caught for selling prints on eBay that used to work @ the Pearl Jam merchandise tables? Guy had tons of prints of each show.
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    demetrios wrote:
    PJRock75 wrote:

It's possible. During the '05 tour, I've seen a few fan's come out from the arena with dozens of prints running to their cars to drop off. Many in groups. Same thing happen during the '06 tour & if you've read a few '10 show review's, many said they saw a few run out with stacks of poster's. Few merchandise tables don't give a shit & you can go ape shit & buy as much as you can. For trades, for selling etc.. Many year's back, wasn't somebody caught for selling prints on eBay that used to work @ the Pearl Jam merchandise tables? Guy had tons of prints of each show.

Guess I should have been more specific, D. I was referring to pre 2003 posters b4 things got out of hand. I would find it hard for anyone to have 10 of anything from those as they were a bit more strict as to the number one could purchase..should have been more clear..Although, nothing surprises me anymore...Now, with the advent of fakes, it is just so frigging hard to tell.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Local Crew wrote:
    Those two Rushmore's that are for sale right now on ebay are FAKE!

You are wrong sir...or mam.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,485
    Here's a real fake poster - from some cat trying to make you think its a real poster from 1996:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-PEARL-JAM-CONC ... 2ea8bc7e10

Maybe next time get the year right and make sure you use a photo with the right drummer in it.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore