Fender Frontman

MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
edited August 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Anyone use a Frontman out there? I'm thinkin about trying a 65R out since it seems to get good reviews and I am not really too fond of my Peavey Transtube.
"Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I've used them, before. It sounds very solid state. Not a fan of the clean controls since it lacks a "mid" knob. Also, the distortion isn't very good. However, the amp is very loud and good for some styles. It's not a terrible amp, just isn't my cup of tea. I guess it all depends on what style you want to play.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Go with a Tube amp if you can swing it, I almost gaurantee you'll sell the FM within a couple of years.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    edited June 2010
    I have heard that the distortion was pretty crappy...i didn't care for it on the Peavey either. So I went out and got a Boss OD-2.
    Post edited by MaxGoldenrod on
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Go with a Tube amp if you can swing it, I almost gaurantee you'll sell the FM within a couple of years.

I'd love to if I could afford it. Got a Caribbean vacation coming up in month.

Plus, I'm more of a bass player than a guitar player, so I may end up selling the guitar in a couple of years too.

• chorduroychorduroy Posts: 72
    I was looking around for a solid state amp in the $200 price range. I read a lot of reviews online and decided on the Fender FM 65R. I got lucky and ended up finding a practically brand new one on Ebay for $100 (add $35 for delivery). I got it last weekend and I could not believe how loud this thing is....I had the volume on 3 and my ears were ringing after. I play a strat out of it and love the clean channel.....havent had a chance to play around with the drive channel all that much (yet) although it did sound great initially. The clean channel does sound real nice though. Also comes with a footswitch which is a nice option.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I had a 25R, which was a great little amp. The reverb is actually pretty good, and the "gain" channel was ok for some bluesy stuff, but nothing metal. For something to f around with at the house I would go for it.

You will always find someone to buy it when you want to move to something else.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    From what I know about the Frontman amps, they offer no tangible improvement in tone over the Peavey equivalent.

If money is what's holding you back, try an Epiphone Valve Junior combo. Plenty loud, trust me, and it sounds like an amp should: with tubes. You already have an overdrive pedal, so you're set.

Barring that, the Roland Cube amps are okay, and you could always look at a Line 6 Spider. Both are fairly versatile amps with lots of toys built in, but don't break the bank. They stop short of sounding great, but you can get them to sound good.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I have the 25R. Good practice amp. I have a roc pro 700 tube hybrid that I got off ebay. Great tone. Honestly, I'd look around ebay or craigslist to find a decent amp. Tube is the way a lot of people on this forum go but there's also some who prefer solid state so, it's all preference.
  • asktheaxisasktheaxis Posts: 28
    Don't do it. I've had that model before and it's very average, especially if you want to play any PJ.
    Thanks for all of the advice.

I had decided on a used Fender Hot Rod Deville that I found, but noticed a Peavey Classic 50...low end was much stronger with the Peavey, and since it had a footswitch, I picked it up instead.

Only problem I have with it is a static noise coming through, something like a crackling sound. I think that it may be the wiring in the house, maybe a grounding issue?

• Thanks for all of the advice.

I had decided on a used Fender Hot Rod Deville that I found, but noticed a Peavey Classic 50...low end was much stronger with the Peavey, and since it had a footswitch, I picked it up instead.

Only problem I have with it is a static noise coming through, something like a crackling sound. I think that it may be the wiring in the house, maybe a grounding issue?
    I'd check your cords, too.
    I'd check your cords, too.

Yeah, I thought of that yesterday when I realized that I have been using a 10 yr old cable to run from the pedals to the amp and a cheap one from the guitar to the pedals. Looks like I have to make a trip to the local store on Thurs or Fri when I am off to see if that solves my problem. It will be hard to only get a cable when there though...perhaps a reason to go ahead and pick up that TS9 I've been hearing about. :D

Wouldn't you know it, after buying a surge protector and new guitar cables, I decided to replace all of the tubes...and presto, it was fixed! Sounds great now!