Options

Help me make a PJ compilation, please?

AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
edited June 2010 in The Porch
Ok it gets a little more complicated. This is for my seven year old nephew so I want it to be pretty rocking because I don't think he'd get into the slower songs too much. Also, I'm not allowed to give him ANY songs with bad language or about subjects that a seven year old doesn't need to know about. For example, Jeremy is about a kid killing himself so my sister would have a FIT! I've been working on this for a few days now but would love some input from you guys as to what songs you think I should include for his first PJ experience. Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
Aye

EDIT: Ok, here's what I came up with....add to or take away....let me know your opinions, please.

Alive
Oceans-just HAD to
Animal
Elderly Woman
Last Exit
Spin the Black Circle
Corduroy
Bugs
Hail, Hail
In My Tree
Smile
Faithful
Wishlist
In Hiding
Breakerfall
Evacuation
You Are
Get Right
Green Disease
Marker In The Sand
Parachutes
Big Wave
Gonna See My Friend
Got Some
The Fixer
Unthought Known
Breath
Hard Sun
Down
Drifting
Hitchhiker
Education
Undone
State Of Love and Trust
Hunger Strike

Ok, maybe I've overthought this just a bit
"You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AH129339AH129339 Posts: 25
    Not for You is about how they held firm and didnt give into the record labels. Would be some underlying values in this song to pass on to the young kid.
  • Options
    AH129339 wrote:
    Not for You is about how they held firm and didnt give into the record labels. Would be some underlying values in this song to pass on to the young kid.

Had this one on my list too but there is a big "fuck you" in it, lol.
    This has ended up being much more difficult than I'd thought it would be.
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Options
    BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    AH129339 wrote:

Had this one on my list too but there is a big "fuck you" in it, lol.
    This has proved to be much more difficult than I'd thought it would be.

You could claim he is just saying "For You!!" :D
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Hmm, this is what I can come up with:

Alive
    Even Flow
    Evolution
    Grievance
    Hail Hail
    Red Mosquito
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle

Some rockers from S/T and Backspacer.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Newch91 wrote:

Alive
    Even Flow
    Evolution
    Grievance
    Hail Hail
    Red Mosquito
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle

Breakerfall is also a great choice I think. How about RVM, Smile, In Hiding, Faithful, Got Some, Supersonic?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    DS114969 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Alive
    Even Flow
    Evolution
    Grievance
    Hail Hail
    Red Mosquito
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle

Breakerfall is also a great choice I think. How about RVM, Smile, In Hiding, Faithful, Got Some, Supersonic?

Yep, agree with Breakerfall. I would put RVM, but he says fucking and you can clearly hear him say it. Supersonic has shit in it. Just trying to follow the guidelines. I do like Smile, In Hiding, Faithful, and Got Some.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    superj72superj72 Posts: 131
    The only thing you can do (with the required approval) is go to the surfrider MOM cd and copy "Gremmie Outta Control" 15 times. And then finish with Life Wasted.

Btw, a 7 year old kid probably drops more F-bombs in a week than Chris Rock does in a year - at least in this day and age.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ok, well....I could "claim" he's saying "for you" but I PROMISE you my sister will research the lyrics and not let the kid listen to any of the disc if I put anything like that on there. Newch is right on RVM and Supersonic.

Alive
    Even Flow-he says fuck in this one too
    Evolution
    Grievance-she'd prob not like this because of what it's about but I've got it on my list too
    Hail Hail
    Red Mosquito-don't think I have this one, I'll have to check it out. Edit: it says the "devil" is visiting him
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle
    Smile
    In Hiding
    Faithful
    Got Some
    Breakerfall

Thanks y'all, keep them coming!
    Post edited by Ayedavanita on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    superj72 wrote:
    The only thing you can do (with the required approval) is go to the surfrider MOM cd and copy "Gremmie Outta Control" 15 times. And then finish with Life Wasted.

Btw, a 7 year old kid probably drops more F-bombs in a week than Chris Rock does in a year - at least in this day and age.

Nah, not this kid, I get fussed at for using the language around him. He's cool though and LOVES music! My kids however, I don't care if they hear a bad word or two, they're going to hear it at school IMO. I don't want Pearl Jam or myself to get the blame for corrupting this one, he's very special to me.
    Post edited by Ayedavanita on
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    When I was 7 I loved Bugs and Rats!!!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    Local Crew wrote:

I LOVE them both too and put Bugs on the list.....Rats has the fuck word in it. :oops:
  • Options
    Maverick785Maverick785 Posts: 69
    edited June 2010
    Brain of J.? Animal? Big Wave? If you wanna get around the F-bomb in Even Flow, give him the version from the music video. Oh, and pray to god she doesn't read too heavily into Alive's meaning :?
    Post edited by Maverick785 on
    Bristow, VA 5/13/2010
    Baltimore, MD 10/27/2013
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 4/8/2016
    Miami, FL 4/9/2016
    Tampa, FL 4/11/2016
    Temple of the Dog - Philadelphia, PA 11/4/2016
    Seattle, WA 8/8/2018 & 8/10/2018
    Boston, MA 9/2/2018
    Nashville, TN 9/16/2022
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    Local Crew wrote:
    literally.
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Brain of J.? Animal? Big Wave? If you wanna get around the F-bomb in Even Flow, give him the version from the music video. Oh, and pray to god she doesn't read too heavily into Alive's meaning :?

Big Wave is TOTALLY on the list. Never thought of Brain of J so I'll look into that too. I was thinking about Alive and it's "new" meaning.......still alive, can live through it all, in a positive outlook, like the way Ed says it's taken on a new meaning in Storytellers.
  • Options
    joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
  • Options
    joely_91 wrote:
    whipping
    state of love and trust possibly??

Yep, yep, I have both of those too! So I'm not doing so bad. Maybe I should list what I have and let you guys add to it or take away from it?
  • Options
    lukinsdadlukinsdad Posts: 57
    Pilate, Comatose, Mankind...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    not sure about these but possibly

hold on
    brother

would say alone, but its got suicide in it
    Post edited by joely_91 on
  • Options
    Ok, well....I could "claim" he's saying "for you" but I PROMISE you my sister will research the lyrics and not let the kid listen to any of the disc if I put anything like that on there. Newch is right on RVM and Supersonic.

Alive
    Even Flow-he says fuck in this one too
    Evolution
    Grievance-she'd prob not like this because of what it's about but I've got it on my list too
    Hail Hail
    Red Mosquito-don't think I have this one, I'll have to check it out. Edit: it says the "devil" is visiting him
    Last Exit
    Spin the Black Circle
    Smile
    In Hiding
    Faithful
    Got Some
    Breakerfall

Thanks y'all, keep them coming!

Wow. Never knew Even Flow said fuck in it until now.

Like someone posted before, I completely forgot about State of Love and Trust. You should totally put on Light Years just because it kicks so much ass.
  • Options
    babylukin wrote:
    Pilate, Comatose, Mankind...

Didn't think of any of these, thanks!
  • Options
    joely_91 wrote:
    not sure about these but possibly

hold on
    brother

would say alone, but its got suicide in it

I ruled out Brother, I think because it's say I've got a gun...blah blah
    I'll check out Hold On though, thanks!
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Like someone posted before, I completely forgot about State of Love and Trust. You should totally put on Light Years just because it kicks so much ass.

Yeah I didn't either until I read the lyrics and even then I was all "NO" so I listened and it does in one part, lol. Light Years is a fabulous idea Newch!
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah I didn't either until I read the lyrics and even then I was all "NO" so I listened and it does in one part, lol. Light Years is a fabulous idea Newch!

Haha yeah. I was bummed at that.

Thank you. Words can't explain how much I love Light Years. He'll love it. You can also put Army Reserve if that hasn't been mentioned already.
  • Options
    Maverick785Maverick785 Posts: 69
    edited June 2010
    Down? I mean it has "damned" in there but in a structural sense ;)
    Seriously though, this kid needs to hear Even Flow, so just include the version found on the greatest hits album.
    Post edited by Maverick785 on
    Bristow, VA 5/13/2010
    Baltimore, MD 10/27/2013
    Miami, FL 4/9/2016
    Tampa, FL 4/11/2016
    Boston, MA 9/2/2018
    Nashville, TN 9/16/2022
  • Options
    chloe10chloe10 Posts: 46
    Corduroy
    Spin the Black Circle
    Whipping
    Go (there is one Fuck but i think ed mumbles it?)
    State of Love and Trust
    Breath
    Hail Hail
    Smile
    I Am Mine
    Fixer
    Unthought Known
    4/17/1994 Paramount Theatre NYC, 9/28/1996 Randall's Island NYC, 6/14/1998 Tibetan Freedom Concert Washington DC, 8/23/2000 Jones Beach NY, 4/29/2003 Albany NY, 7/9/2003 MSG, 5/12/2006 Albany NY, 6/1/2006 Continental Airlines Arena NJ, 6/3/2006 Continental Airlines Arena NJ, 6/24/2008 MSG, 6/25/2008 MSG, 10/30/2009 Philadelphia PA, 10/31/2009 Philadelphia PA, 5/18/2010 Newark NJ, 5/20/2010 MSG, 5/21/2010 MSG
  • Options
    Seriously though, this kid needs to hear Even Flow, so just include the version found on the greatest hits album.

Down has "damned" in it???? SHIT!
    I'll listen to the greatest hits version and see....on Evenflow...sucked for me he couldn't have that one, thanks!
  • Options
    i think you are is a good choice the guitar effect on it alone is cool enough, was there a censored version of given to fly?
  • Options

Down has "damned" in it???? SHIT!
    I'll listen to the greatest hits version and see....on Evenflow...sucked for me he couldn't have that one, thanks!

He definitely doesn't drop an F bomb before the solo in that version. It's the same one found in the music video...minus the Josh Taft rant :lol:
    Bristow, VA 5/13/2010
    Baltimore, MD 10/27/2013
    Miami, FL 4/9/2016
    Tampa, FL 4/11/2016
    Boston, MA 9/2/2018
    Nashville, TN 9/16/2022
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Haha yeah. I was bummed at that.

Thank you. Words can't explain how much I love Light Years. He'll love it. You can also put Army Reserve if that hasn't been mentioned already.

Light Years will def be added, thank you mister! Army Reserve is too deep I think and a little slower paced. So is I Am Mine chloe10 but thank you. I didn't do too bad with my second draft did I? I already made one disc and then listened to it JUST TO BE SURE and had to make a bunch of changes, lol. I love this kid! Thank you guys for helping me, I hope he LOVES it!
  • Options
    pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    All Night? Oh, wait, there's a fuck in that one. Hmm.

I Am Mine would be good.

Sometimes?