Independant Film

davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I've recently seen some awesome indie films lately- Please Give, City Island and Solitary Man.
Big budget movies have let me down FAR many more times than the good ole' dialogue/Story driven small budget movie. What's your favorite?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    Davidtrios wrote:
    I've recently seen some awesome indie films lately- Please Give, City Island and Solitary Man.
    Big budget movies have let me down FAR many more times than the good ole' dialogue/Story driven small budget movie. What's your favorite?

City of God.... I think that was an indie film. One of the greatest movies ever.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Brick from a couple of years back is superb.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Davidtrios wrote:

You were let down by the A-Team? That movie was awesome and you know it!
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Aussies make great Indy movies.....

we also make great tv programs.....
    ( Good News Week, Gruen Transfer, Spicks and Specks and most recently The Low Down)
    It is all very funny, politicaly incorrect and refreshing. :D

Check them out when you have too much time on your hands. :geek:
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I loved the A-Team!!! I was highly entertained!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    it's just a really crappy movie season....some indy films are really good, some are really bad.

we have some indy movie channel and over the weekend there was a good one on. Sean Penn was in it. The Assassination of Richard Nixon
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • "Once" is fantastic.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    i started a thread the other day with some of my favorite movie's i've found streaming on Netflix, and most of them are indie's. A few off the top of my head I liked are Interstate 60, Splinterheads, and A Fork in the Road
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i've seen please give recently ... quirky but overall i didn't really care enough for the characters in what ultimately was a character piece for me ...

saw winters bone ... great movie - highly recommend this one for those who are into gritty dramas ... excellent performances all around ...
    I'll have to check Winters Bone Out.

Did you or anyone seethe tailor for that movie about the Hermit setting up his own funeral. Its with Robert Duvall and Bill fucken Murray. Looks like an Oscar contender to me...
  • A friend of mine, who has been working with movies his whole life, just released his first full length movie. He wrote it, directed it, and a bunch of my old friends/softball teammates have roles in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-Vision ... 733&sr=8-2

If you're from Long island, you may be interested to know that one of the "stars" of the film is Pilgrim State Psychiatric Hospital. They filmed most of the movie there, and the Hosp plays a key role in the movie

A lonely artist spends his days wandering the halls of an abandoned mental institution where his mother died years earlier, and finds his life starting to change when he reconnects with an old friend and develops a romantic bond with a self-destructive junkie. Isolated and Misunderstood, Chet only feels at home when he's snapping photographs in the crumbling corridors of a derelict mental hospital. When he's there, it's as if his mother never left. When Chet runs into his childhood friend Ron, the two old pals pick up right where they left off years prior, before Ron left town. But something inside of Ron has changed, and the closer Chet gets to Cindy, a drug-addicted abuse victim, the more he realizes that he isn't seeing the whole picture
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    So far, my favorite independent film I have seen is Y tu mamá también.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jo wrote:

name them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I just saw La Mission and it was awesome. (Plus, Benjamin Bratt is fucking hot! :D ) I think it counts as indie.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Don't know if it's quite an "indie", per se, but 'City Of God' is the greatest movie known to mankind.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Jo wrote:

Lantanna

name them.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Roland Emmerich is taking a break from his disaster films to produce an indie film based on the Shakespeare conspiracy theory.
  • theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
    edited June 2010
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    "Once" is fantastic.
    :thumbup: :thumbup: "Once" is one of the best.
    first time saw this i was like..woooo thats different not hollywood at all

12779.jpg

paris_texas.jpg

Wim Wenders is great. See 'The American Friend' if you haven't. Actually, all the New German Cinema peoples are awesome.
  • theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
    paris_texas.jpg[/quote]

Wim Wenders is great. See 'The American Friend' if you haven't. Actually, all the New German Cinema peoples are awesome.[/quote]

when i was young.years ago i had a massive poster of this film on my wall..im talking 10 foot high..it was great...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Wim Wenders is great. See 'The American Friend' if you haven't. Actually, all the New German Cinema peoples are awesome.

wings of desire continues to be one of my favourite films of all time ...
    polaris_x wrote:

wings of desire continues to be one of my favourite films of all time ...

Yeah, that's solid as well. Real good. 'American Friend' is my fave out of his though.
    Anyone see Cyrus yet? Looks pretty funny.