Options

Rolling Stones top 500 Songs

Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
edited June 2010 in The Porch
I purchased this magazine thinking PJ would be in there. They did not make the list with any songs in the top 500 of all time. Now I know I am biased towards them, but when the B-52's, Rhianna, R Kelly, etc... make the list it pisses me off. Are you kidding me. My opinion of Rolling Stones Magazine is cemented as a rag. I just believe that at least on of their songs should have made it. :evil:
96 Randall's Island II
98 CAA
00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
09 Phillie III
10 MSG II
13 Wrigley Field
16 Phillie II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,936
    I don't mind the B-52's but Rhianna and R Kelly? :wtf:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    I was waiting for this post....hahahaha. Time for the semi-annual bashing of Rolling Stone magazine because they don't worship your favorite band! :lol:
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,936
    I was waiting for this post....hahahaha. Time for the semi-annual bashing of Rolling Stone magazine because they don't worship your favorite band! :lol:

You know they should :problem:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options

It's not about worship, but you are going to tell me that Stan from Eminem and Ignition from R Kelly, are better songs?

edit: then anything that the boys have done.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    BlahBlah Posts: 469

Really? You were actually waiting??

Go outside and find something to do man.
  • Options
    PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107

I don't want to speculate on how old you are...but it seems you only post here to bash the fans that are up to your particular standards. (You know, the ones YOU deem kinda stupid...yeah, it's obvious)

I just pray you aren't much older than 20. If so...yikes! You have one post (the above) only in slightly different variations. How about adding something? This isn't RM buddy!

Have a nice day though! :)
  • Options
    PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107

It's not about worship, but you are going to tell me that Stan from Eminem and Ignition from R Kelly, are better songs?

Stan is an incredible song with the shifting narrator tackling quite a few topics and perspectives. Not many people can do this as effectively as Eminem did. It's a GREAT accomplishment, even if you don't enjoy it.
  • Options
    PJam82 wrote:

Stan is an incredible song with the shifting narrator tackling quite a few topics and perspectives. Not many people can do this as effectively as Eminem did. It's a GREAT accomplishment, even if you don't enjoy it.

I was just rambling some songs on the list. I enjoy most of them but when some of the songs make it and not one PJ song, then I think it is a little BS.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    1: "Like a Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan

Would love to hear a PJ cover of this.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Not too long ago they did an article on the top 100 guitarists of all time and Mike McCready was nowhere to be found. I forget all the douches that made the list but I'm pretty sure John Mayer was in there.
    Sometimes I burn like a dot on the Sun...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    didnt they also do a 100 lead singers and there was so much crap on there, but no EV?

You gotta at the very least throw Alive on there in the top 500. People who hate PJ love that song
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited June 2010
    PJam82 wrote:

I don't want to speculate on how old you are...but it seems you only post here to bash the fans that are up to your particular standards. (You know, the ones YOU deem kinda stupid...yeah, it's obvious)

I just pray you aren't much older than 20. If so...yikes! You have one post (the above) only in slightly different variations. How about adding something? This isn't RM buddy!

Have a nice day though! :)

I had basically plused one, then deleted my response. I hate being negative. But since I got a response below, I'll reiterate.

Hopethatuchock brings a lot of negativity. That sucks.
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • Options
    LDBLDB Posts: 41
    I agree with Wilds. I don't want to be negative but hopethatyouchoke needs to go to another website or maybe just choke himself.

Anyway Eddie has said he wipes his ass with Rolling Stone and there is a Youtube clip to prove it. That is why they do not make it on the list. I don't expect top 20 but at least in top 50 - 100. Certainly Alive or Black among others for sure. How can the thousands of PJ fans who are pretty musically versed be so wrong? Of course we're not wrong and neither are all the muscians and bands that have always been freinds and supporters of PJ like Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Pete Townsend, The Stones.

I am 49 and I remeber when Rolling Stone used to be relevant journalism. Now it is nothing more than a "cooler" looking People or Us magazine.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    LDB wrote:
    I agree with Wilds. I don't want to be negative but hopethatyouchoke needs to go to another website or maybe just choke himself.

Anyway Eddie has said he wipes his ass with Rolling Stone and there is a Youtube clip to prove it. That is why they do not make it on the list. I don't expect top 20 but at least in top 50 - 100. Certainly Alive or Black among others for sure. How can the thousands of PJ fans who are pretty musically versed be so wrong? Of course we're not wrong and neither are all the muscians and bands that have always been freinds and supporters of PJ like Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Pete Townsend, The Stones.

I am 49 and I remeber when Rolling Stone used to be relevant journalism. Now it is nothing more than a "cooler" looking People or Us magazine.

The problem with Rolling Stone or anyone, is they not only play politics, but EVERY ranking list is designed to get people riled up and thus generate buzz.

With that said I don't read Rolling Stone, never have and never will. The only time they are ever on my radar is when they force me to realize they exist by running a list and pissing people off who frequent this board.
  • Options
    Hope that u choke...

You play 'devil's advocate' waaaay too much. Allow me to place things into perspective for you: you prey on easy marks- this is a fan website. Generally speaking, the people that take the time to write on here are fans of Pearl Jam. They are going to support their band and beliefs when they feel they should. Bemoaning people's bias on the 'Porch' is lame. It hardly takes a genius to detect the blind faith prominent throughout these posts.

With the aforementioned said, I am inclined to side with the OP. I haven't read the piece and won't (Rolling Stone is a horrible magazine), but Rolling Stone's list is garbage if it has placed 'Loveshack' or some other shit song by the B-52s over several choices PJ has to offer (mainly from their first two albums for a list generated such as this... sorry Binaural lovers).

As opposed to speaking down to the OP, why not state your position? Do you think that our generation's Rolling Stones does not have one song worthy of the top 500?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Pearl Jam_iePearl Jam_ie Posts: 821
    It's a love/hate thing for me. I've been a RS subscriber for a long time and when they put Taylor Lautner on the cover in a wet t-shirt, I told my wife "That's it, I'm dropping this piece of shit!". Then they put Keith Richards on the cover and do a great read on "Exile on Main St." and I'm happy again. That being said, PJ not making the top 500 once is a fucking joke.
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312

worship?

putting a mere 1 song in a list of 500 is far from worship.

it's absolute abomination that not 1 pearl jam song is on this list. it's a fucking joke is what it is.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    TheVan218TheVan218 Posts: 302
    If you read in the back, it even said Jeff voted on the list. But I agree, reading it at the supermarket pissed me off.
  • Options
    TheVan218 wrote:
    If you read in the back, it even said Jeff voted on the list. But I agree, reading it at the supermarket pissed me off.

yeah thats where i saw it too. i was so pissed i felt like complaining to the person standing next to me...before i realized she was some old housewife reading people.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,331
    LDB wrote:

Well, that's a bit of an overstatement. The article by Tim Dickinson this week about the oil spill is some of the best journalism you'll read all year.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    WOW. So much hate for me! Particularly telling me to choke myself. :D All for simply speaking the truth. I love playing devils advocate around here. Was I literally waiting for someone to say something? Of course not. But once I saw there was a list coming out, I knew heads would roll around here. Any time a journalist, magazine, midget or TV show says anything remotely negative about our favorite band...a mutiny happens around here. It's one of my least favorite things about this place. There is somewhat of a self-inflicted brainwash on some people. I like making note of it. Just as you shouldn't let an article get you bent out of shape, you sure as heck shouldn't let a wiseass like me get you bent out of shape. I included a :lol: in my post clearly indicating I wasn't losing sleep over this. I'm not necessarily negative...just a wise ass.

As for the songs....as much as I HATE to say it...those shitty songs that were specifically mentioned...Stan, R.Kelly's shit, Rhianna....unfortunately those songs are much much more vital and influential to the people outside of this board. They sell albums, they get radio play, they sell out shows nationwide. Pearl Jam just isn't that relevant anymore. Also unfortunately those things are taken into account when a national music publication complies a list of best songs. It's not right but that is how it is. Take comfort in the fact that RS's best and most respected critic, David Fricke, is a huge Pearl Jam fan and always has a good thing to say.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,760
    First, Eddie publicly wipes his ass with a Rolling Stone magazine. Next thing you know, none of their music make the top 500 songs of all time even though Ten is an iconic album in the history of pop culture.

It's not too hard to see what's going on..politics as usual.

Shows you how seriously these lists are to be taken.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    WOW. So much hate for me! Particularly telling me to choke myself. :D All for simply speaking the truth. I love playing devils advocate around here. Was I literally waiting for someone to say something? Of course not. But once I saw there was a list coming out, I knew heads would roll around here. Any time a journalist, magazine, midget or TV show says anything remotely negative about our favorite band...a mutiny happens around here. It's one of my least favorite things about this place. There is somewhat of a self-inflicted brainwash on some people. I like making note of it. Just as you shouldn't let an article get you bent out of shape, you sure as heck shouldn't let a wiseass like me get you bent out of shape. I included a :lol: in my post clearly indicating I wasn't losing sleep over this. I'm not necessarily negative...just a wise ass.

As for the songs....as much as I HATE to say it...those shitty songs that were specifically mentioned...Stan, R.Kelly's shit, Rhianna....unfortunately those songs are much much more vital and influential to the people outside of this board. They sell albums, they get radio play, they sell out shows nationwide. Pearl Jam just isn't that relevant anymore. Also unfortunately those things are taken into account when a national music publication complies a list of best songs. It's not right but that is how it is. Take comfort in the fact that RS's best and most respected critic, David Fricke, is a huge Pearl Jam fan and always has a good thing to say.

beat it dummy.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    beat it dummy.

How original. Take care. Bye
  • Options
    WM31482WM31482 New York, NY Posts: 563
    LDB wrote:

That's not the reason, RS never writes anything negative about Pearl Jam... and they've made up since that whole youtube clip. I agree, the list is terrible, but it's put together by some sort vote by a panel of musicians, not even RS writers... and it looks more like People/Us because that's what sells...
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Ten and Vitalogy were on the top 500 list for albums.

When I saw the song list, I thought at least Jeremy, Alive, Even Flow, and Better Man would've made the list and they didn't. I was kind of bummed.

To quote David Fricke in his review of S/T (who gave it 4 stars): "And whenever the guitars take over, which is a lot — Gossard and McCready's slugging AC/DC-like intro to "Life Wasted"; McCready's wild wah-wah ride in "Big Wave"; the way he cracks Vedder's gloom in "Parachutes" like heat lightning — it reminds me that Gossard and McCready deserved to be on our 2003 "Greatest Guitarists" list. Permit me to admit it here: I screwed up." At least he admitted he screwed up. They did put McCready in the Underrated list. He also mentions he owns two complete tour's worth bootlegs (2000 and 2003). David Fricke is the only RS journalist that knows his music.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Really tough to argue with their choice for number 1. You can pick almost any Dylan song and make an argument. (I said ALMOST)

But then I saw 2, 3 and 4, which I THINK were Can't Get No Satisfaction, Smells Like Teen Spirit and Hey Jude (Don't remember the order), and I had to stop reading. Hey Jude is the worst Beatles song next to The Long and Winding Road.

Can't get no Satisfaction? Just because it is the most successful Stone's song, does not make it the best...it sucks.

And Smells Like Teen Spirit? Really? I don't get the Nirvana obsession. They were a good band, but come on. And no, I'm not saying that a PJ song should have been number 2, or 3 but Smells Like Teen Spirit is better than Hendrix' version of Watchtower? Or Baba O'Reilly? Shoot, it's not even as good as Peggy Sue, Johnny B. Goode, or Heartbreak Hotel for Crying out loud!!!

And Hey Jude is better than Helter Skelter? Or Revolution? or Penny Lane? Anything from Sargent Pepper?

Rolling Stone has completely lost their credibility when it comes to Rock & Roll.
    "The goal of a coach is to take a guy who has beaten down by his parents, by religion, by society, to take that guy and build him back up to find his spirit to go out and fight" Joe Lewis
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Really tough to argue with their choice for number 1. You can pick almost any Dylan song and make an argument. (I said ALMOST)

But then I saw 2, 3 and 4, which I THINK were Can't Get No Satisfaction, Smells Like Teen Spirit and Hey Jude (Don't remember the order), and I had to stop reading. Hey Jude is the worst Beatles song next to The Long and Winding Road.

Can't get no Satisfaction? Just because it is the most successful Stone's song, does not make it the best...it sucks.

And Smells Like Teen Spirit? Really? I don't get the Nirvana obsession. They were a good band, but come on. And no, I'm not saying that a PJ song should have been number 2, or 3 but Smells Like Teen Spirit is better than Hendrix' version of Watchtower? Or Baba O'Reilly? Shoot, it's not even as good as Peggy Sue, Johnny B. Goode, or Heartbreak Hotel for Crying out loud!!!

And Hey Jude is better than Helter Skelter? Or Revolution? or Penny Lane? Anything from Sargent Pepper?

Rolling Stone has completely lost their credibility when it comes to Rock & Roll.

Top 10:
    1. Like a Rolling Stone
    2. Satisfaction
    3. Imagine
    4. What's Going On
    5. Respect
    6. Good Vibrations
    7. Johnny B. Goode
    8. Hey Jude
    9. Smells Like Teen Spirit
    10. What I'd Say

The reason Teen Spirit is top 10 is because of it's importance to rock and alternative rock. Like Ed said in, I think, the show when they found out about Kurt's death, "We all wouldn't be here if it weren't for Kurt." Teen Spirit alone wiped away all that hair metal from the 80s and brought change to rock.

Satisfaction is awesome, although I would've put Imagine at 2.

Hey Jude worst Beatles song? Seriously? As a huge, huge Beatles fan, I fucking love that song. Also, The Long and Winding Road is a great song (Let It Be...Naked version did the song justice).
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    BlahBlah Posts: 469

:lol: dudes trying to back track now.

:lol:
  • Options
    Hope that u choke...

You haven't spoken the truth. Once again, you've spouted your opinion. You don't seriously expect people on this message board to even remotely acknowledge your opinions that are 'less than flattering' for one of their favourite bands do you?

I'm all for a good argument, but there's not even a semblance of one here. You have been demolished in this thread. Go seek support for your assertion that "Pearl Jam is not relevant" on some other artist's website. You and some popped-collar dude can snicker with each other in agreement.

In the event you are not really Bill Cosby and just a sad person that is merely seeking some form of attention... fair enough- you succeeded. If not, scuttle away. Seriously.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
This discussion has been closed.