Acoustic bass guitar in electric band

RoadTripperRoadTripper Posts: 67
edited June 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
What do you guys think of this? Have you ever heard anyone do this before?

I'm in a 3 piece band (Bass, Elec guitar, drums) and am thinking about using my acoustic bass guitar (Not a stand-up) with a pickup instead of my jazz bass. Theres something I love about the acoustic's action compared to the J-bass. Also, I love the sound of acoustic guitar and electric in the same song. I know PJ does it a lot and it just adds something great.

Does anyone know anyone who does this so I can hear how it sounds?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I would definitely start with the Violent Femmes. Brian Ritchie played the electric acoustic bass in a very original yet rock'n'roll way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8VTlXVqUQ

the video is from blister in the sun and is a common song everyone knows. I would listen to the song Kiss Off to really hear the acoustic bass,,,the song is amazing.

hope this helps
  • Nittany1bnNittany1bn Posts: 214
    i think mike mills of REM records some of their stuff with an acoustic bass, but plays electric live
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    You can always get pedals to manipulate your sound. In my opinion, if it sounds good with what your band is doing, do it. I've only seen Jeff with the acoustic on MTV unplugged.

The thing I'm thinking off the top of my head though is Nirvana's cover of Man Who Sold The World on unplugged. Kurt is using and acoustic, but it's set up as an electric. That's at least one you could listen to.