Setting up an independent show. Where to begin?

StoveStove Posts: 320
edited June 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
So Im trying to organize a show of sorts. Im a drummer in one of the bands (so we get top billing in theory)
We are renting out a place and having a couple bands play.
But I was wondering where to start. Of course there needs to be bands and advertising but what else goes into setting up a show? Are there people that specialize in this kind of stuff? Anyone's advice/experience would be appreciated!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
    Stove wrote:
    So Im trying to organize a show of sorts. Im a drummer in one of the bands (so we get top billing in theory)
    We are renting out a place and having a couple bands play.
    But I was wondering where to start. Of course there needs to be bands and advertising but what else goes into setting up a show? Are there people that specialize in this kind of stuff? Anyone's advice/experience would be appreciated!

I used to run local gigs a couple of years ago, which was both a lot of fun and a lot of stress. As far as advice I would say advertise as much and as early as possible. Use all of the mediums available to you, so use the internet, posters and see if the venue sends out a newsletter or has a website that you can advertise your gig on. Double check whether or not the venue has a backline (drums, amps, pa etc) and whether or not the bands playing want to use their own amps and drum kit. As you know yourself, drummers are keen to use their own stuff, but you might get away with setting up one drum kit and letting the other drummers use their own cymbals, pedal and snare. That'll save time and a lot of effort. Make sure you have a proper sound engineer (the venue should have one, if it's a decent place).

A lot comes down to how much you charge for a gig, more people are likely to come to a gig that's cheaper, but if its too cheap then you may not cover your costs, so try to be reasonable but don't be too cheap. Think outside the box with ways to sell tickets. For example, the bands that played in my gigs each had a guestlist that they could put as many people as they wanted on, for each person that showed up the band got like $2 and the person on the list got into the gig for a cheaper price. That way all of our gigs were always pretty full and the bands got to make a little money out of their friends supporting them!

Hope that helps! :)
  • StoveStove Posts: 320
    Hey Thanks alot dude! That was really helpful.
    We've actually downsized it and will be doing a basement show.
    Maybe will charge free or maybe will have peeps pay, get to that bridge when we cross it. Im at a stand still of sorts because Im out of state going to school so Im mirco-managing from a different state. But thanks for the tips!
  • totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
    Stove wrote:
    Hey Thanks alot dude! That was really helpful.
    We've actually downsized it and will be doing a basement show.
    Maybe will charge free or maybe will have peeps pay, get to that bridge when we cross it. Im at a stand still of sorts because Im out of state going to school so Im mirco-managing from a different state. But thanks for the tips!

Np problem! :)