Options

Art Contest or whatever you wanna call it???

StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
edited July 2010 in The Art Wall
Hey y'all...
Missed out on last year's art "contest" for lack of a better word.
Didn't even know about it until I saw it in DEEP earlier this year.
Is this something we do every year?
If so....where in the world have I been?
Right...like you can answer that :D
Anyway...
Will we do it again?
peace,
jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
"How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yellowporchyellowporch Posts: 510
    seriously! I missed out on it too, they just announced the winner for the mood painting contest, and just finished accepting artwork (i think) for a comic contest. Ugh me+deadlines never mix well, but I would definitely keep tabs of whatever comes around next, I think it's a common thing they do!
  • Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    There's a contest in each newsletter. Always an artistic/creative contest. (Almost always. Match the picture of the dog to the picture of the owner was pretty straight up.) This round is a comic contest due July 1 (still time!). See Deep 6 for details.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    seriously! I missed out on it too, they just announced the winner for the mood painting contest, and just finished accepting artwork (i think) for a comic contest. Ugh me+deadlines never mix well, but I would definitely keep tabs of whatever comes around next, I think it's a common thing they do!

Now that you know you haven't missed out, any ideas? I'm still brainstorming, but have decided this is the year to not chicken out. I did think that "Stone Gossard and the Rocking Horse of Time" as a possible entry, but haven't actually done any work on it.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options

Now that you know you haven't missed out, any ideas? I'm still brainstorming, but have decided this is the year to not chicken out. I did think that "Stone Gossard and the Rocking Horse of Time" as a possible entry, but haven't actually done any work on it.

where did you find all this info? I don't recall seeing anything in deep 6 ...maybe comics since there was that interview w/tom tomorrow and all that...but a mood painting contest? sounds so cool...don't recall seeing it.

What are you entering the Rocking Horse of Time in? What type of contest I mean? Comic? What? I can't for the life of me figure out why I never know about these things till they're done with. :roll:

More info please?
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    dougkarhoff33dougkarhoff33 Colorado Posts: 4
    Is the new issue of DEEP out already? I received the Fan Club Single last week, but I havent gotten a new issue of Deep...???
    "...Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings..."
  • Options
    Is the new issue of DEEP out already? I received the Fan Club Single last week, but I havent gotten a new issue of Deep...???

No....I was referring the Deep Six we got a few months ago...I haven't gotten the single yet..but I have heard it..and I do love it.

Don't think we'll be seeing another DEEP for a while yet. :)
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    StillHere wrote:

where did you find all this info? I don't recall seeing anything in deep 6 ...maybe comics since there was that interview w/tom tomorrow and all that...but a mood painting contest? sounds so cool...don't recall seeing it.

What are you entering the Rocking Horse of Time in? What type of contest I mean? Comic? What? I can't for the life of me figure out why I never know about these things till they're done with. :roll:

More info please?

The page right after the painting contest winners, I think. There's a drawing of a smiling, bald guy with a gold tooth... I don't have it in front of me. The "rocking horse" idea was just a funny title I was playing with for the comic strip contest. Making fun of Harry Potter-style titles. "Harry Potter and the blah blah blah" gets turned into "Stone Gossard and the most ridiculous Pearl Jam lyric of all time" :D:D:D.
  • Options
    StillHere wrote:
    The page right after the painting contest winners, I think. There's a drawing of a smiling, bald guy with a gold tooth... I don't have it in front of me. The "rocking horse" idea was just a funny title I was playing with for the comic strip contest. Making fun of Harry Potter-style titles. "Harry Potter and the blah blah blah" gets turned into "Stone Gossard and the most ridiculous Pearl Jam lyric of all time" :D:D:D.

ahhhh..you know what? i think i thought that was one of those old-timey advertisement pages..see just goes to show you that you shouldn't take anything at face value..

AND...i sure don't agree with "the rocking horse of time" as one of the most ridiculous pj lyrics..i really love that song:
    "I see the words on a rocking horse of time.
    I see the verse in the rain."
    I think that's genius..but....
    then again: which way to go, windowsill?
    well...then there's that...heheheheeeee :P
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    It's one of my favorites as well, but take that out of the context of the song and I can and will start to laugh. :lol:
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    last deep contest i think was a comic strip one..if so it will be renamed the doomponywonitalreadycontest. ;)

i've finished mine. i've very proud of it because i did it with the 2 pens i had handy and a crappy version of photoshop. one of the pens was a blue biro.
  • Options
    i reallllly wish i had entered the painting comp... hope they have another in the next issue. though my previous entries have never been successful

dress stone - i turned him into a bee girl (the bee girl!) and a member of split enz. both cool in my opinion (well, at the time)

ukelele painting contest... no dice. apparently they didn't find it as awesome as i did :)

ukelele.jpg
  • Options
    ukelele.jpg
    Wha -- I am very surprised... :lol: What do you call them? Olivia Newton Vedder and Johnkelele Travolta? Eddie Newton John and Jogn Tavolkelele? 's pretty f'ing hilarious Doompony!

I am still struggling with the comic, but have made so much progress that to stop now would be ridiculous. I don't even have anything digital I can post to show my progress! It's not like this has been a last minute project, either. I've put a couple hours in every week for at least the last month or even 6 weeks. I am definitely running into problems trying to finish the third act (i.e. THE FRIGGIN' PUNCHLINE!). I'm more of a single-panel, non-sequitor, bizzaro comic guy. This is really straining any sort of talent I have to the limits.

Anyone else finished their entry yet and feel like sharing? Doompony, feel like showing yours off? I want to see what I'm up against!
  • Options
    my last panel has little impact as well. it's mainly just 12 weirdly drawn stories.. some better than others.
  • Options
  • Options
    … … … Well, you've got me beat up and down. That is friggin' amazing! And I don't think there's any way for someone to steal such a cool, personal story. I think your last panel is perfect. Your story reads like a huge wave, breaking over the reader in the 2nd to last panel with your wish fulfilled, plus I think it gives the reader a sense of grandeur that although it's such a personal story, there are 80,000 people in NZ that feel the same way that you do... Well done!

I'll try and post some of what I got tonight. Mine is just about how my 3rd experience seeing Alive played (Vancouver 2005) was SO loud, and the crowd was in SUCH sync that scientists had to get together and rename the "Butterfly Effect" the "McCready Effect" because of the global changes that Mike's guitar playing causes... Unfortunately I am serious! That's all I could come up with!

By the by, your first panel is my favorite by far! You look so happy with your AOB shirt and B2M looking over your shoulder. "The taste in music is terrible." :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:SO well done! I've always held my head up high and pretended that I wasn't listening to Warrant the day before Ten came into my life. ;)

I don't think you need it, but just in case - good luck!

OK, who else wants to shame me into abandoning this contest??!?!?!
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,661
    A deadline of July 1st would mean anytime July 1st before the stroke of midnight, right?

As usual, I'm down to the wire.
  • Options
    Yikes! I'm not sure. No hour is given... I'll be going right until Midnight on the first, for sure!
  • Options
    heheh i feel like the nerdy kid at school who had their assignments done early.

*sits back and plays alex kidd*
  • Options
    Well, I got stuck doing some actual PAYING design work, so now I'm up WAY past my bedtime doing this insanity.
    Here's what I got thus far:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4748627000_e03e55812a_b.jpg

I'm adding a Brucie Bonus to the end. Some people are disturbed by my avatar, some people aren't (yet). I thought I would let them choose their own face for it. Holy free-holy, I hope I donzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
  • Options
    that's awesome
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,930
    :o :shock: W.O.W.!!! Awesome possum!

I don't have a schmick of artistic talent and so I sit in awe of those who do. Excellent work! I look forward to seeing the winner :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    I've had it. I've cut it down and sent it in.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4750816335_b97a57cdea_b.jpg

Doompony's gonna win!
  • Options
    dude, that is frickin awesome. i love it. you're like.. a proper designer eh?
  • Options
    brokenarrowbrokenarrow Posts: 478
    Wow doompony and meteor, these are wonderful!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

So much fun reading them, good luck to you both!! Can't wait to see more entries :D
  • Options
    Awesome! Doompony big props! That is so cool. Awesome story (of course), and the comic is f'n great!! (only gripe is it plays too fast for me even in slow) So good.

I just checked in today to see when the deadline was (for some reason was thinking the 17th), see its TODAY!! ugh. I dont think I can top that anyhow, but I would still like to enter. But I have 10 guitar lessons to teach then a gig tonight. Not lookin' good :lol:

Maybe I'll teach 'em all "Black" today! :lol::lol:

"Rocking Horse" is very funny! That second panel cracked me up. I wish there was more picture to the concert section though! Has a cool look. Love both of those! Thank you so much for sharing these.

PJ COMIX RULE!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    10 panels drawn 2 to go. Burning the candel at both ends trying to get this done b4 midnight. Then I'll post mine.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, ryanevolution, we're on the same wavelength regarding the concert panels! I was considering having them repeat a few times, alternating with one where the crowd's arms are in the air. It would have given me better timing in the "story" and break up that HUGE block of text. Dammit! Now that I've had a few hours sleep, it doesn't seem so insurmountable. Well, I guess technically, there's still time - I do have that BMX time-machine!

If only I hadn't wasted so much time on this:
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4751690283_087e939664_b.jpg :oops:

I hope everyone gets an entry in who wants to (come on ryanevolution, URthekey, you can do it!) - - Deep Six states that ALL winners will receive the prize, and it doesn't say how many that will be… Hopefully ALL of us! Personally, I'd love me a Tom Tomorrow poster signed by the band and the artist! Maybe a phull Philly set? ;) I had ordered a signed copy of The Very Silly Mayor by TT for a friend of mine's son, but he ran out of them before my order was processed, so I think he owes me a little something extra. Pack your bags, Tommy, you're goin' on a guilt trip! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Awesome! Doompony big props! That is so cool. Awesome story (of course), and the comic is f'n great!! (only gripe is it plays too fast for me even in slow) So good.

thanks mate. you can see it at your own pace here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpony/se ... 331773432/
  • Options
    OK heres mine, fresh off the drawing board and with only minutes to spare to meet the deadline.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/ ... sident.jpg