concert earplugs opinions

aneutronbombaneutronbomb Posts: 787
edited August 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i have reached that point, my loooong and extremely active concert attending career is most certainly taking a toll on the old ears

i always try to sit as close to the stage as possible weather it be big ol' sheds or dingy little clubs (i blame the clubs more than anything, an amature mix where the soundguy thinks volume will cover the problem can be the worst thing ever!!) and yeah it gets loud. im also told that the right earplugs really cut down on other noise around you and often improve the experience beyond saving the pain and ringing and headaches

so im thinkin about these bad boys here http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/profmusearpl1.html but i am wondering if any of you out there have any insight into earplugs, recommendations, perhaps products to avoid...

thanks yo
and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sacto68sacto68 Posts: 70
    Those are pretty much the same that I use just a different brand. I personally use these.. http://www.hearos.com/products/high-fidelity

The aren't like most earplugs where they just attenuate the highs. Leaving you only to hear the lows. But they have a pretty level frequency curve. So you hear everything as it should be but at a lower volume.

You can pick them up at pretty much any music store like guitar center or what not. They run about 10-15, and are washable.
    San Francisco, California 08-28-2009
    San Francisco, California 07-18-2006
    Mountain View, California 10-19-1996
    San Jose, California 11-04-1995
    San Francisco, California 06-24-1995
  • aneutronbombaneutronbomb Posts: 787
    really gc? dope i never knew

goood stuff
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • 3manstack3manstack Posts: 205
    I use pretty much the same as the ones linked too, usually gives me excellent sound, though there was one gig (mastodon) where it was impossible to hear the vocals.

but I think the sound was a bit messed up that night. I love em though no more going to sleep with the squealies in your ears
  • PJayhawkPJayhawk Posts: 75
    Those are both very good for low cost ear plugs, much better than the foam ones...

If you are really serious about it, I recommend getting musician's earplugs:
    http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

I play in a band and enjoy concerts so it was a no-brainer for me. They are more expensive, but they are custom molded and the attenuation is adjustable. The 20db cut of the ones above may be too much sometimes. I've used the 9db, 15db, and 25db filters in mine... they all work well but the 15db's sound the most natural. My ear doc does the molds for around $75 and then the filters are around $80/pair.
    www.nos-tone.com

7/3/98 - Kansas City, 8/18/00 - Indianapolis, 10/12/00 - Kansas City
    4/22/03 - St. Louis, 6/22/03 - Indianapolis, 5/3/10 - KC, 5/4/10 - St. Louis, 5/7/10 - Indy
  • IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    I'm using similar ones : earpad from earsonics :-16dB.
    They are OK and my ears feel better after a show. I do have a dip in my audiogram around 4K for my left ear. It's a noise induced hearing loss but I don't really know where it comes from. Since I know it, I'm wearing earplugs at each concerts.
    I'm thinking about getting custom molded earplugs but they are much more expensive.
  • IGotShit76 wrote:
    They are OK and my ears feel better after a show. I do have a dip in my audiogram around 4K for my left ear. It's a noise induced hearing loss but I don't really know where it comes from. Since I know it, I'm wearing earplugs at each concerts.
    I'm thinking about getting custom molded earplugs but they are much more expensive.

I went for that option - best $250 I ever spent. Custom molded plus are comfortable, have reduced my tinnitis, and sound great - flat response, designed for musicians. Go to a good audiologist soon and save your hearing!
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    IGotShit76 wrote:

I went for that option - best $250 I ever spent. Custom molded plus are comfortable, have reduced my tinnitis, and sound great - flat response, designed for musicians. Go to a good audiologist soon and save your hearing!

How well do they work for drummers and those close to them? I'm concerned it wouldn't lower it enough, or wouldn't be well rounded enough, with all the spikes in volume a drummer makes. Would Heros earplugs be a good test before investing in the uber-expensive ones?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • CV13357CV13357 Posts: 2
    I have the custom molded ones as well. I'm not a drummer, but as far as overall sound and comfort they are the best. Also, you can change out the filters if you want more or less db reduction.

Also, there are a few companies that make them, so I would shop around if money is tight. I think Westone may be cheaper, but $250 seems like a lot.

Worthy investment as long as you don't lose them :)
    CV13357 wrote:
    I have the custom molded ones as well. I'm not a drummer, but as far as overall sound and comfort they are the best. Also, you can change out the filters if you want more or less db reduction.

Also, there are a few companies that make them, so I would shop around if money is tight. I think Westone may be cheaper, but $250 seems like a lot.

Worthy investment as long as you don't lose them :)

How much are the Westone, if under $250? And is it really clear wearing them?

I play drums, mostly alone, and am very curious as I've always used foam.
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    IGotShit76 wrote:

How well do they work for drummers and those close to them? I'm concerned it wouldn't lower it enough, or wouldn't be well rounded enough, with all the spikes in volume a drummer makes. Would Heros earplugs be a good test before investing in the uber-expensive ones?

I stand next to the drummer and they work fine.
    CJMST3K wrote:

I stand next to the drummer and they work fine.

After reading this thread I looked up custom moulded earplugs. I started reading websites that had them also offered custom moulded ear monitors... the ones Pearl Jam use are $900 for just the ear monitors...

For some reason I really wanted now custom ear monitors, but I don't have my drumset mic'd up or anything, nor any type of a board, nor microphones... so I researched that for a while... then I wanted that AND ear monitors... but it's so expensive... long story short I just spent $800 on a monitor board and an 8 piece microphone set for my drum set, and a pair of $60 over-head sound isolating headphones to listen to myself drum just a little clearer. Why do I go way off on tangents, and then spend a lot of money? Thanks op... :lol:
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    On a slightly different note, I think we have a similar problem. I play bass in my band and just bought an OM7. Not that I'm ever going to need it... :D
  • I bought these a few years ago from Sensaphonics. http://sensaphonics.com/prod_erseries_customs.html
    I have the 15db ones and they are amazing. I don't notice a lot of coloration to the sound, just like turning the volume down. Best money I ever spent. It made it nice to leave a show, go home and as I tried to go to bed, not have that wonderful ringing in my hears.
    Makes much more sense....to live... in the present tense...