Options

does pearl jam have the longevity of a band like the Stones?

noodles_jeffersonnoodles_jefferson Posts: 183
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I went to the West Palm show and I've seen Pearl Jam live 7 times dating back to lolapalooza in 92. All these years later they are every bit as good as they ever were, and actually better musicians than they were in those early days.

The fact that they have been able to stick together through the years says that they found a successful formula and avoided the "burnout" that a lot of other talented bands succumbed to. I can see them touring together for years and years like the Stones. Maybe this is jsut wishful thinknig, but I can just imagine going to a pj show with my son. Do you guys think they've reached that legendary status where they can still be playing to full houses in another 10 years? god, i hope so.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Ben Franklin
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,874
    they have already proven they have the longevity, seeing as they are the sole survivors still creating any buzz from the Seattle scene.

I also think the fact they are all so cool about side projects and second bands helps relieve a lot of the tension and desires to leave a good thing(at least we think)! I think since they came from the ashes of MLB helped really keep them grounded.

Hell if they were gonna break up it'd been in 95 is my guess during the Ed control freak I can't deal with fame phase. But in interviews they have always said they trust his judgment as he is usually right about things of that nature.

17+ years is nothing to sneeze about- fuck I'm old
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Do you guys think they've reached that legendary status where they can still be playing to full houses in another 10 years? god, i hope so.

absolutely, and i plan on having my old ass there to see it!
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Clearly, they do. And they haven't put on nearly as many shitty shows as the Rolling Stones have. Pearl Jam is always perfect.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    judging from last night it sounds like they havennt lost a step.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    There is no reason they cannot be still around when they are the Stones age, or Neil Young, the Who, Paul McCartney, etc. My only question will be, what will it be like if say, they are 55, and playing a song like Blood or Habit or Lukin? I mean stuff like Small Town, Wishlist or Thumbing My Way will work great, but what will it be like seeing them play the real rockers?

I have faith in them.., I mean obviously it looks ridiculous when Ozzy plays with Sabbath, in my opinion, but Zeppelin just pulled off a pretty good show, so I am sure it will work.

I personally hope they keep touring, and making records, for a long long time. I am sure back in 1992 if you would have told people they would still be kicking ass in 2008, they wouldn't have believed you, so why not last another 20 years?
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    BB King, still going strong albeit with a strong supporting crew.
    Aerosmith, "figuring it out" getting straight and ringing the register, albeit how much of an impact they have on "the scene," how current or vital these days is questionable -- or not.
    Floyd - nevermind, but neat to hear him/them still...

KISS - again, not really relevant for a long, long time, but still fun to hear 'em play. Kinda fun all the bands that are still trying to tour (even if not really relevant to the music scene, or putting out "good" music that equals their earlier work): Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, etc.

So the model is there esp re: The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith (stay sane, stay sober, stay at the bank...)

Petty/Dylan/Neil Young (Cash) -- the longevity is not really that surprising, is it? Eagles. Steve Miller Band. Playing to their core. Doobies, Credence/Fogerty, Chicago....

Arguable that the Stones aren't or haven't been making "relevant" music that taps into the zeitgeist.... but again, just heckova fun time! Like KISS and others.

Um, Rush, 34 years young and still putting out music (again, zeitgeistful?) but what I believe is pretty much the longest running cast of "original" characters that not even PJ hope to compete with (the dreaded drummer hot seat!) And they put on great shows still!

With PJ's mastery of their music, plus the unplugged format, covers, fanbase and just the business of rock-n-roll ... and 16-17 years of solid RELEVANT music, yeah, I've got a good feelin' we'll be listening to them for a long, long time!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    Oh yeah, as I see my dad now getting crazy with the Stones I want to see me in 20 years still getting crazy with PJ. Long life to those guys!!!!!
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    another question that is similar to this is are there any more bands now that hold up to led zeppelin, the who, rolling stones, pink floyd etc status when they were in there "prime" i asked alot of people at bonnaroo and lots of people said u2 because of the scale of them. obviously i think pearl jam but im also a huge huge fan like everyone here id like to hear other peoples opinions on this
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Lets not forget Clapton, Steele Dan, and even ZZ Top...

They will be around for us for many years to come....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,098
    "does pearl jam have the longevity of a band like the Stones?"

Fuck Yeah! :)
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    acutejam wrote:
    BB King, still going strong albeit with a strong supporting crew.
    Aerosmith, "figuring it out" getting straight and ringing the register, albeit how much of an impact they have on "the scene," how current or vital these days is questionable -- or not.
    Floyd - nevermind, but neat to hear him/them still...

KISS - again, not really relevant for a long, long time, but still fun to hear 'em play. Kinda fun all the bands that are still trying to tour (even if not really relevant to the music scene, or putting out "good" music that equals their earlier work): Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, etc.

So the model is there esp re: The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith (stay sane, stay sober, stay at the bank...)

Petty/Dylan/Neil Young (Cash) -- the longevity is not really that surprising, is it? Eagles. Steve Miller Band. Playing to their core. Doobies, Credence/Fogerty, Chicago....

Arguable that the Stones aren't or haven't been making "relevant" music that taps into the zeitgeist.... but again, just heckova fun time! Like KISS and others.

Um, Rush, 34 years young and still putting out music (again, zeitgeistful?) but what I believe is pretty much the longest running cast of "original" characters that not even PJ hope to compete with (the dreaded drummer hot seat!) And they put on great shows still!

With PJ's mastery of their music, plus the unplugged format, covers, fanbase and just the business of rock-n-roll ... and 16-17 years of solid RELEVANT music, yeah, I've got a good feelin' we'll be listening to them for a long, long time!

Don't Forget Bruce and the E Street Band. I know there was a 10 year Hiatus, but these guys put on a HELL of a show, AND still release good music..
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    spoman1211spoman1211 Posts: 28
    i was recently wondering myself if pearl jam along with R E M would have longevity such as the stones & a few others. I know all of us on here hope so were all going out of our minds waiting to see pearl jam what would we do if they were no more . i can't even begin to think about . Keep on rockin Pearl jam . Ps by the way im taking my 2 boys 15 & 12 to MSG on the 24th . I sure you you will someday .
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Clapton, Steele Dan, Jackson Browne, Jeff Beck and even ZZ Top, Bruce and the E Street Band, U2 ... yap, all good comparisons. This rock-n-roll stuff is pretty facinatin in that we can chart a lot of these bands through the years (calling Jack Black!). Heck, U2 is just a few years behind Rush! (Where's Triumph?)

The graveyard is definitely full of washed up and/or faded out acts, but the matter of longevitiy is still well in play. Les Paul himself wailin away like BB. Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis.... I can see Eddie playin right up to the last moment like Johnny Cash. Uncle Neil as relevant as ever. Paul McCartney. Willie Nelson. (Where's Bowie?)

But I think the point that came up in a EV solo review was -- wow, he could have split off his solo career A LONG time ago, but remains true to the band. I don't want to see him split off, as much as I dug his solo tour. Hard to think of someone who has a vibrant solo career ALONG WITH a strong ongoing band-based concern?

Seems to be the "take the solo gig" for a while then "reunion time." I want to see Pearl Jam rockin into the rockin chairs!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    Bands that can perform well can always have a career of some kind on the road. And people will always seek out good music. I didn't grow up with the Stones or Zeppelin or the Beatles or Hendrix when they were at their so-called peak, but I sought them out when my musical tastes matured and I wanted to hear some good, solid musicianship. And I think that will keep happening. People will seek out Pearl Jam's music and their live performances because it's just good, solid musicianship. No trendy producers or gimmicks, no 27 dancers on stage, no fake BS. Just 5 guys that love to play music. That will never go out of style.
    Sam
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    They will be around for a long time, as long as they have fun. And unlike the Stones, PJ don't have to fear to get trapped in this dinosaur thing - huge, I mean really huge shows, having to deal with a gigantic machinery. Pearl Jam will always try to keep things small, and that's what makes them agile.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I was talking to a co-worker of mine, who's not really a big fan of PJ but does respect what they're doing and been able to do for nearly two decades now.

He's in his mid-40's and said there were bands from the 70's and 80's that have to tour together to sell out the shows but have seen how PJ's been able to do amazing tours over the past years with pretty much small name opening bands.

I told him about their East Coast tour and the first thing came to his mind was PJ's crazy 2000 bootleg collection.

From a casual fan's perspective, that was pretty of him to say that about PJ.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    In a selfish way I almost wish they'd go out of the mainstream popularity and start playing small clubs to the hard core fans where it would be easier to meet the band. Not really of course, but it would be so cool! I recently met Dave Spitz(formerly of Sabbath, post-ozzy) and Nicco McBrain (Iron Maiden). who are now in a part time band called McBrain Damage. I met David because he's a south Florida attorney and i did a website for a colleague of his. the guy is so nice and approachable and it was cool to listen to stories they told. But PJ will probably still be paying to packed stadiums in 10 years so that kind of interaction is probably not going to happen. But seriously, how cool would it be to see PJ in a small venue in like 10 years and be able to go up and say hey, man...been following you guys for 28 years! ok, fantasy over. F that. I hope they keep playign big venues and exposing new generations to great music!
    "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Ben Franklin
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    I went to the West Palm show and I've seen Pearl Jam live 7 times dating back to lolapalooza in 92. All these years later they are every bit as good as they ever were, and actually better musicians than they were in those early days.

The fact that they have been able to stick together through the years says that they found a successful formula and avoided the "burnout" that a lot of other talented bands succumbed to. I can see them touring together for years and years like the Stones. Maybe this is jsut wishful thinknig, but I can just imagine going to a pj show with my son. Do you guys think they've reached that legendary status where they can still be playing to full houses in another 10 years? god, i hope so.

that is tough to answer...god, health and sanity willing. I echo your sentiment..."I hope so".
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    They totally do. I think they are going to be around for a long time.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee