An olive branch regarding boots

TooMuchBloodTooMuchBlood Posts: 312
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi, all. Considering six or seven out of 10 hate me for my post regarding the sound of the bootlegs recorded at 2010 shows, please let me offer this life-changing post. It's called the green smoothie, which I have imbibed for 48 straight days and feel more energetic (staying up longer), focused and alert.

Here it is ... the green smoothie. Believe me, I am not crazy. OK ... away we go ... (this is the e-mail I've been sending to family and friends).
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Drink a quart of green smoothie every day for breakfast and consider a second quart for lunch or after dinner. (I drink a half-gallon between 9 and 11 a.m. with an apple in the middle.) You'll notice The Change, as I call it. Your energy level will soar, and your attitude and mental clarity will improve — and you will begin to crave these drinks. They are the best things you can consume.

Each of these recipes produces a quart of green smoothie.

Morning smoothie (this one contains the most amount of greens and is the most important one)
Two bananas
One Granny Smith apple
One pear
Handful of frozen strawberries
Handful of frozen blueberries
Two tablespoons of flax or chia seed
A pint of orange juice
(Blend the above first — use the strongest setting such as ice crusher, switch to liquify and then add the following.)
Fistful of kale
Fistful of spinach
Fistful of dandelion
Small handful of fresh broccoli
Five baby carrots

Prelunch smoothie
One banana
One Granny Smith apple
Handful of frozen blueberries
Eight ounces of frozen Dole mixed fruit or tropical fruit
Two tablespoons of vanilla yogurt
A pint of orange juice
(Blend the above first — use the strongest setting such as ice crusher, switch to liquify and then add the following.)
Fistful of kale and/or spinach and/or dandelion (the more greens the better)

After-dinner smoothie
One banana
Eight ounces of frozen Giant or Dole mixed berries
Two tablespoons of vanilla yogurt
A pint of orange juice
Big fistful of kale and/or spinach and/or dandelion (the more greens the better)

Feel free to experiment. Just be sure you get enough greens, which is the main thing, and you can rotate different fruits and greens week by week. That's important, too. I make mine at 6 p.m. and freeze until 9 p.m., when I put it in the fridge for consumption the next morning. These drinks taste better when they have a bit of a "freezing" thickness to them.

Two important links:
— "Green for Life": http://www.amazon.com/Green-Life-Victor ... 0970481969
— Vitamix blender (I just bought one and am awaiting its arrival): http://www.vitamix.com/household/Health ... oothie.asp

The Vitamix is supposed to break down the ingredients to the cellular level, releasing more nutrients. It also can make salsa and salad ingredients in seconds. You can literally put in a whole tomato, onion, etc. It can also make hot soup from all-natural ingredients in four minutes. It's expensive, but it's an investment in time and health and seems worth it. It has a seven-year warranty.

You can view videos of the Vitamix in action here: http://www.vitamix.com/household/produc ... maxnut.asp

Let me know if you have any questions. No, I am not a Vitamix employee.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• too much work for me.
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    sounds worse than your whinging aboutthe boots! :lol:
    that thing would give me a headache :lol:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    what? no alcohol????
  • I've been mixing up some green smoothies for a few months now. My attitude hasn't changed significantly, but I'm not totally consistant with making them. (It's a 1.5 miles to the nearest store, I have no car and produce is heavy.)
    However, I do crave the fuckers very consistently. I've read Green For Life and how a quart a day is recommended. But, once I start drinking those leafy greens, I can't stop. It's way too easy to down a couple of quarts a day.

I think over time it's changing the way I eat. One thing I haven't adjusted to quite yet is that beer does not taste as good. And, quite frankly, it makes me feel more like shit than it ever has in my whole life. :( ;) I keep trying to throw back a few like old times, but always end up disappointed, grumpy and queasy. I blame the green smoothie. In the choice of beverages, I have no doubt that the green smoothie will win. Afterall, I value my health more and more with each passing year. But, I will really miss beer.
    I carried a watermelon
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Some of my skiing buddies from down south say coca leaves give a smoothie a real energy boost as well..So little time, so many smoothies...
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,462
    I'll stick with a Sugar Free Red Bull, Banana and Granola Bar to get me going in the AM... :lol:
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • LowlightLowlight Posts: 101
    I already enjoy a green smoothie daily, except I call it something different: eating enough fruit and vegetables with each meal. To each his own.
    Detroit 10-7-00 Buffalo 5-2-03 Boston 7-2-03 Camden 7-6-03 Boston 7-11-03 Boston 5-25-06 Camden 5-27-06 Hartford 6-27-08 Boston 6-28-08 Boston 6-30-08 Hartford 5-15-10 Boston 5-17-10 Chicago 7-19-13 Brooklyn 10-18-13 Brooklyn 10-19-13 Hartford 10-25-13 Moline 10-17-14 St. Paul 10-19-14 Milwaukee 10-20-14 Boston 8-5-16 Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16 Seattle 8-8-18 Boston 9-2-18 Boston 9-4-18 New York City 9-11-22
  • LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    Never say the people on this board aren't open minded :lol:

Hell, I'll try it
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    where does steak come into play?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,038
    there's no olive branch in these recipes?!?!?! WTF!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • TooMuchBloodTooMuchBlood Posts: 312
    Lowlight wrote:
    I already enjoy a green smoothie daily, except I call it something different: eating enough fruit and vegetables with each meal. To each his own.

The "Green for Life" writer argues that the Vitamix blender can rupture the cell walls of the ingredients, releasing more nutrients. Additionally, because the food in smoothie form is in a predigested state, your body wastes no energy trying to break it down.
  • I got a green smoothie for ya:

small_joint.jpg
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    do you drink one of these drinks instead of Breakfast and Lunch?

then you eat dinner?

arent all those ingredients really expensive?

How does this thing taste? Granny Smith apples + Dandelion doesnt really make my mouth water.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    81 wrote:

...and BEER! hahaha... :P
  • i_lov_it wrote:
    81 wrote:

...and BEER! hahaha... :P

and WHERE is this "olive branch" you speak of??
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

edited June 2010
    MayDay10 wrote:

then you eat dinner?

How does this thing taste? Granny Smith apples + Dandelion doesnt really make my mouth water.

Hey, MayDay10. I drink the first quart from 9 to about 9:30, have another apple at 10 with green tea and move on to the second quart at 10:45. I've been finding a large salad or slice of pizza or two, for example, is enough for lunch at that point. Keep in mind, though, that if you try this sort of thing, you'll go through some changes (for me it was eating a full lunch, too) the first few weeks and then I think you'll kind of level out.

Basically, the standard American diet is very poor. I feel fortunate to have met some folks and read some things to understand the necessity of raw fruit, vegetables and greens — the latter part being extremely important. We just don't get enough greens.

You can use any kind of apple, and you can skip the dandelion. You can rotate in collard greens or just stick with spinach and kale. If you commit yourself to trying this out for, say, a full week, you can find out more online. The fruit will largely hide the taste of the bitter greens.

I just tried Vitamix-blended green smoothies Sunday and Monday — and I had a lot of them. I'm talking about a gallon and a half over both of those days. Those ones are the best because that blender reduced everything practically to near-cream. So smooth and more palatable for many, I imagine. My sister liked it much better this time.
    Post edited by TooMuchBlood on
    MayDay10 wrote:

then you eat dinner?

I forgot to answer the dinner question and some others. Either a large salad or something else such as chicken tacos. I'm not totally raw but am experimenting.

The ingredients can be a bit expensive, but I buy lots of frozen fruit (except for bananas, apples and pears) and stock up when bags are on sale. Basically, I have to find cheaper places than straight-up supermarkets. It can be done much cheaper.

It might take you a few days to get a recipe down that's palatable for you (it did for me). If you stick with it and find something that works, keep with it and continue to experiment a bit to see what others will work for you. Once you notice your energy level increase, you'll begin to look forward to drinking these because you'll know they're good for you, pretty easy to make and give you an energy boost.