FIFA World Cup!!!

El PapeEl Pape Posts: 81
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Tomorrow start the FIFA world Cup, what I think is one of the greater sport party on earth and my country, Chile, is one of the 32 teams fighting for the glory.

So,

who are your favorite teams to win the Championship???

Do you think Chile will defeat Spain??

Do you think USA will defeat England??

Do you think a South America team will win th cup??? or a European team??

Come on!!! lets talk about it, all the world is invited!!!

Do you want to see my vinyls collection? Just "Click" in the image

Vinilos%20Rock.JPG
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GC31608GC31608 Posts: 229
    Hey Pape, it almost feels like the night before Christmas to me. Here's what I see:

Tevez and Messi will put on a clinic in their group play and will hoist the trophy in the end. If they slip up or allow any distractions (not mentioning any names, ahem, Maradona), then Brazil will have no problem grabbing it.

Sorry my pj forum friend but Chile cannot beat Spain. USA cannot beat England. I just don't see USA going very far this year.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    GC31608 wrote:
    Hey Pape, it almost feels like the night before Christmas to me. Here's what I see:

Tevez and Messi will put on a clinic in their group play and will hoist the trophy in the end. If they slip up or allow any distractions (not mentioning any names, ahem, Maradona), then Brazil will have no problem grabbing it.

Sorry my pj forum friend but Chile cannot beat Spain. USA cannot beat England. I just don't see USA going very far this year.

USA cannot beat England but they beat Spain last year in SA when Spain was ranked #1 in the world? Please explain your logic. Oh, and they led #2 ranked Brazil at halftime before losing by a goal. Yes, England is favored and should be, but of course the US can beat them. Will they? That's why they play the game.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    GC31608 wrote:

I agree with you my friend. You can add igiuane, macharano, to that list to! let's play some real football!!!! Spain vs Argentina or Argentina vs hollnad for the final......messi will add another cup to his trophy case!!! Galalio!!!!!!!
  • GC31608GC31608 Posts: 229
    Spain had won the previous 15 matches in a row so yeah they had to lose sometime and USA was fortunate enough to catch them on an off day. Happens in all sports.

The men's soccer team doesn't have any real talent on the world stage. It's not a put down it's a fact. The World Cup will be decided by European teams and the elite in South America such as Argentina and Brazil.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    I know they won't do well and it'll take a miracle to advance in their group but my Japanese roots are pulling for Japan to hang in there. My English roots are allowing me to have a back up team ;)

Here's a good question for everyone... What's your TIME DIFFERENCE?
    All the games for me are 11:30am, 7:30am and 4:30am (OUCH!!)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • The early kick offs are around 3.00pm, with the later ones about 7.30pm so it's not too bad.

As for who'll win it - as much as I'd like to say England, we never seem to gel as a team in tournaments and there's always one key moment that halts our progress and we don't seem to be strong enough mentally to overcome this, be it a missed opportunity at a crucial time, an injury or player suspension for a vital match.

Argentina have certainly got the players, but under Maradona I don't think the tactics will be right. Spain have to be considered favourites but you nevr know.

I'd like to see a country win who hasn't had success before or for a long time, just to freshen it up instead of the usual suspects like Brazil and Italy.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    The early kick offs are around 3.00pm, with the later ones about 7.30pm so it's not too bad.

the early games here are 4 am ... :lol:

My finace's dad is from Mexico, they're having a little party at the house tomorrow for the opening game ... game time is 7 am, party starts at 5! Woo hoo!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Posts: 354
    who are your favorite teams to win the Championship??? - Spain, Brazil. But I support Holland!

Do you think Chile will defeat Spain?? - no way :lol:

Do you think USA will defeat England?? - maybe

Do you think a South America team will win th cup??? or a European team?? - 50/50

come on, just six hours to gooo!
  • jimed14 wrote:
    The early kick offs are around 3.00pm, with the later ones about 7.30pm so it's not too bad.

My finace's dad is from Mexico, they're having a little party at the house tomorrow for the opening game ... game time is 7 am, party starts at 5! Woo hoo!

*salutes*

Good luck with that one!! :lol:
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Posts: 354
    As for who'll win it - as much as I'd like to say England, we never seem to gel as a team in tournaments and there's always one key moment that halts our progress and we don't seem to be strong enough mentally to overcome this, be it a missed opportunity at a crucial time, an injury or player suspension for a vital match.

penalties is your weakness ;)

btw, my time diff. is 0
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    jimed14 wrote:

lol thats hilarious!
    i've warned the bf my tv turns on tmrw for opening ceremonies at 5:30am!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    yes both Chili and USA are going to win!!!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    gabers wrote:
    USA cannot beat England but they beat Spain last year in SA when Spain was ranked #1 in the world? Please explain your logic. Oh, and they led #2 ranked Brazil at halftime before losing by a goal. Yes, England is favored and should be, but of course the US can beat them. Will they? That's why they play the game.
    USA shouldn't beat England but there have been loads of upsets in sport. That's why football is such a great game. Dodgy refereeing decisons, bad luck, anything could happen.

I woudn't put too much into friendly results though. These are often played with experimentation in mind and players not willing to get crocked in them. If the USA and Spain played in a competitive match there would be only one outcome, a Spain win. England would get a thumping against Spain as well.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    GO USA!!
    www.myspace.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    El Pape wrote:

who are your favorite teams to win the Championship???

Do you think Chile will defeat Spain??

Do you think USA will defeat England??

Do you think a South America team will win th cup??? or a European team??

Do you want to see my vinyls collection? Get in http://vinilosrock.blogspot.com

I dont have a favorite. I will watch a lot of the action though. I would like to see someone who has never one one.

No

No

European

Sure
  • El PapeEl Pape Posts: 81
    Local Crew wrote:
    yes both Chili and USA are going to win!!!

oohhHHHH YEAA!!!!! :!:

Chile has a young and talent team and a experienced DT, thats why Chile classified seconds in the playoffs, to only one point of distance to Brazil and above Argentina :lol:

Thats why Chile will win to Spain!!!!!, they have the talent and doesn´t have the pressure. :D
  • aneutronbombaneutronbomb Posts: 787
    mex 2-0 today (so africa rallies to beat the rest of thier group and advance with mex)

uruguay beats france 2-1 (france is the whipping boy of the group)

south korea 1-0 over greece and argentina whoops nigeria 3-1not totally set on who i think advances from here, just not greece

GO USA!!!! tomorrow we upset england 2-1 but both these teams will advance

algeria and slovenia draw 1 all, siberia bests ghana 2-1 and germany takes it to oz 3-1

this is what i got for opening weekend in my VERY VERY amateur analysis ;)
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here