Options

PJ Boots - iPod Organization

Got_SomeGot_Some Posts: 77
edited June 2010 in The Porch
Is there a specific way that you name the songs from the PJ Boots so that they play in order?

I just added the Boston boot to my iPod and instead of being ordered in the way they were played, the songs are ordered alphabetically. For an earlier show, I numbered each song but was looking for a better way.

Any suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Easy just go back in and sort by artist or album.
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    On song info they let you change the track number, so set Release to track 1 and so on and so forth. Funny though, they usually come prearranged in the correct order. I didn't get Boston so I don't know if it's a problem specific to that.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Awesome...thanks. I'll mess around with my iTunes tonight.
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Got_Some wrote:
    Is there a specific way that you name the songs from the PJ Boots so that they play in order?

I just added the Boston boot to my iPod and instead of being ordered in the way they were played, the songs are ordered alphabetically. For an earlier show, I numbered each song but was looking for a better way.

Any suggestions?

That's weird, that didn't happen with mine. Did you check how they list in your iTunes library?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    in the source it helps if you number them like

01 Oceans
    02 World Wide Suicide etc.

for 2 disks:

1 01 Oceans
    1 02 World Wide Suicide

2 01 Just Breathe
    2 02 The End

Also you can go into itunes and Get Info. You can change the track number to order each song.
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    The way I organize all my live recordings for iPod purposes is like this:

2010/05/17 TD Garden, Boston MA (for the album name)

That way, you can keep the boots and the studio albums separate. Although I only have about 150 shows on my iTunes...lotta you guys have waaayyy more than that.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,889
    I usually go in and renumber them so it is one constant play. Basically just go into the options and how many ever aongs there are total put that number down, for disc just put one, then number the songs from the first till the end. That way when you play it, it's just like the whole concert itsself. Also if you put in there it's a gapless album most of the time they will play straight thru without the break in between songs.
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    simmers33simmers33 Posts: 228

That way, you can keep the boots and the studio albums separate. Although I only have about 150 shows on my iTunes...lotta you guys have waaayyy more than that.

Me too! To keep the PJ boots easier to find by year and completely separate from studio albums I also change the artist name to "2010 PJ". That way when I go to look for a show on the ipod I can just click artists and scroll to the bottom (Itunes puts numbers after letters alphabetically) where I have "1990 PJ" through "2010 PJ".

I just have to make sure I import boots to the correct PJ folder and change the import folder back to the normal one if I am importing anything other than a PJ Boot (which I have not done in a while - there is so much Pearl Jam!) :D
    Good evening...
  • Options
    KarleyKarley Posts: 506
    Artist: Pearl Jam Studio
    -> 1st LP: Ten
    -> 2nd LP: Vs.

Artist Pearl Jam Live
    -> 2000 Series: 2000 Series: #18 - 19-06-2000 - Ljubljana, Slovenia
    -> 2003 Series: 08-07-2003 - NYC, New York

so on
    <object height="305" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="305" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" favorite tracks!</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205

"Only curfews can keep us down"
  • Options
    punkdefied.punkdefied. Northern VA Posts: 26
    This is a huge source of contention for me. I am anal about ordering of songs especially the live stuff and how it comes up. Now I have a Zune so I dont use iTunes, but it pretty much should be the same.

For live albums I always name them with this convention:

YXXX-MX-DX CITY ie 2010-05-21 New York, 2000-05-25 Lisbon, Whatever.

This ensures they will easily be sortable in reverse or normal order by date, rather than having the city name first where you could be searching for a lot considering the number of NYC shows that have happened over the last 20 years.

For individual tracks there is usally a ID3 Tag called Disc or Part where you can do a 1/1 for single discs or 1/2 or 2/2 for multi disc sets, the problem with this field is that not every music player or music app (winamp, itunes, zune, etc) reads them properly so i have all but abandonded the use of this field. Instead I just renumber the tracks.

IE : If CD 1 has 16 tracks and CD 2 has 12 i would start numbering CD 2 as 17, 18, etc. This way when it plays the live show it will seemlessly go from disc 1 to 2 without me having to manually switch from a Disc 1 fodler to a Disc 2 folder. Plus it reduces the number of Albums, libraries whatever they are called so i dont have to worry about oh shit is that track on disc 1 or 2. I also do this with the multi part albums Lost Dogs is a good case in point. Instead of having disc one and two it just is one album that has like 25 or 26 tracks whatever.

I also change the Album Artist for the live shows to "Pearl Jam (Live)" as opposed to "Pearl Jam" to keep from having to scroll up and down throught hundreds of boots when looking for a studio album or Christmas single. Keeps them separate.

Maybe that helps?
    1998: Columbia                                              2000: Virginia Beach, Columbia
    2003: Raleigh, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Bristow, Mountain View I
    2004: Kissimmee              2005: Philadelphia               2006: Washington DC
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa, Virginia Beach, Camden I, Washington DC
    2009: Philadelphia IV         2010: Bristow       2013: Baltimore, Charlottesville
    2018: Boston I & II      2021: Asbury Park         2022: New York City, Camden
    2023: Chicago I & II, Austin I & II
    2024: Seattle I & II, New York City II, Philadelphia I & II, Baltimore
  • Options
    This is a huge source of contention for me. I am anal about ordering of songs especially the live stuff and how it comes up. Now I have a Zune so I dont use iTunes, but it pretty much should be the same.

This ensures they will easily be sortable in reverse or normal order by date, rather than having the city name first where you could be searching for a lot considering the number of NYC shows that have happened over the last 20 years.

For individual tracks there is usally a ID3 Tag called Disc or Part where you can do a 1/1 for single discs or 1/2 or 2/2 for multi disc sets, the problem with this field is that not every music player or music app (winamp, itunes, zune, etc) reads them properly so i have all but abandonded the use of this field. Instead I just renumber the tracks.

IE : If CD 1 has 16 tracks and CD 2 has 12 i would start numbering CD 2 as 17, 18, etc. This way when it plays the live show it will seemlessly go from disc 1 to 2 without me having to manually switch from a Disc 1 fodler to a Disc 2 folder. Plus it reduces the number of Albums, libraries whatever they are called so i dont have to worry about oh shit is that track on disc 1 or 2. I also do this with the multi part albums Lost Dogs is a good case in point. Instead of having disc one and two it just is one album that has like 25 or 26 tracks whatever.

I also change the Album Artist for the live shows to "Pearl Jam (Live)" as opposed to "Pearl Jam" to keep from having to scroll up and down throught hundreds of boots when looking for a studio album or Christmas single. Keeps them separate.

Maybe that helps?

Yea, that helps. For a couple of my other live albums, I numbered each song based on the total number of songs per show, not per CD. There's no need for me to know which disc the tracks are on. I didn't, however, change the Album Artist to "Pearl Jam (Live)". I'm definitely going to go back and change that.

So...I'll be numbering all of the songs in the order they were played, renaming the Album Artist, and renaming the Album with the year first (i.e. 2010/05/17 TD Garden, Boston, MA).

For the Boston show, this is how it would go:

Album: 2010/05/17 - TD Garden, Boston, MA
    Album Artist: Pearl Jam (Live)

1 - Release
    2 - Animal
    3 - The Fixer
    4 - etc., etc.
  • Options
    simmers33simmers33 Posts: 228
    There sure are a lot of ways to skin a cat! :lol:
    Good evening...
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Change the album name to year/month/day format

2010-5-7 - Noblesville, IN is how I name mine. I always have my itunes to sort by artist. That keeps them in chronological order.

Make sure they're part of one album.
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722
    Yeah, I label them "Pearl Jam 1996 10-2 Hartford" so the come up in chronological order...

Then the key: I download the poster for each show as the album art...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    bry321f11bry321f11 Posts: 326
    hERE IS WHAT i DO....

When you bring them in label the band by year...so 2000 boots are

Pear Jam 2000 and so on...

Then when you title the album name...start with the date of the show!!
  • Options
    I leave the Album Artist as Pearl Jam but add "Live" to the Genre. I also add "Live" to the beginning of the song title. So the Album = "Live 2010-05-06 Columbus, OH", Album Artist = "Pearl Jam", and Genre = "Live"

So I start to play by going to the Artist Pearl Jam. All of the Live stuff is together and then by date. Could begin all of the studio's with "Studio" before the album name. I listen to Live stuff more than the studio's anyway so doing this would move all of the Studio's lower in the album listing.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    My iTunes sorts by Artist.

I have Pearl Jam (For Studio Albums) and then Pearl Jam - LIVE (Obviously for Live Albums/Bootlegs)

I label all of my bootlegs in the following format:

YEAR - DATE - VENUE - CITY, STATE
    2009 - 10.31 - The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA.

For a 3 disc set and this is VERY easy to do...

I start at DISC 2 and replace the track numbers starting after whatever the first CD ends on. If it ends on 12, the first track on Disc 2 would be 13. If Disc 2 ends at 24, the first track on Disc 3 would be 25. Do this by highlighting the first track you want to change. Enter the number and click next. The next track will come up already highlighted where you want to change and then just fire through the tracks. Takes VERY little time.

I then Highlight all of the songs, make sure all the album box is checked, I clear out the "of track #" box (the one on the right) and clear out the disc # boxes as well. I then make sure I add the album art to all as well. Also go to "Advanced Tab" and down to the Gapless Album? Box and click on yes. Then save it.

It works out well...Very well actually.

Lastly I'll also create a playlist with multiple shows as well. I have a Philadelphia Box Set play list and a Gorge Box Set, Borgata...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    edited August 2010
    :?
    Post edited by Bronx Bombers on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446
    I start at DISC 2 and replace the track numbers starting after whatever the first CD ends on. If it ends on 12, the first track on Disc 2 would be 13. If Disc 2 ends at 24, the first track on Disc 3 would be 25. Do this by highlighting the first track you want to change. Enter the number and click next. The next track will come up already highlighted where you want to change and then just fire through the tracks. Takes VERY little time.

I then Highlight all of the songs, make sure all the album box is checked, I clear out the "of track #" box (the one on the right) and clear out the disc # boxes as well. I then make sure I add the album art to all as well. Also go to "Advanced Tab" and down to the Gapless Album? Box and click on yes. Then save it.

It works out well...Very well actually.

Doesn't anyone else use an mp3 tag editor... there are lots of free ones out there to download.

I use mp3tag - works great for batch editing albums all in one shot. No more editing tags one by one - you can change titles, albums, track numbers, even the album art all in one quick shot.

All my shows get renamed in the same format with the date first: 2010.05.21 New York, NY
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    pghaspghas Posts: 128
    I also do mine yyyy/mm/dd - venue, city, state and use the concert poster for the artwork. When I load the bootled discs in I name both discs the same as above and then I don't have to renumber the CD's or the discs because they're all part of the same "album" which plays straight through. Since there are usually fade outs and ins at the end and beginning of each disc it makes no difference, and itunes plays it back gapless in all the other places.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    I'll also use the posters as artwork sometimes. Other times I just use the actual album/sleeve cover.

In iTunes you can change files in mass as well. The track numbers I do one by one bu it literally takes no more than a minute and a half...maybe.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

DewieCox wrote:
    Change the album name to year/month/day format

2010-5-7 - Noblesville, IN is how I name mine. I always have my itunes to sort by artist. That keeps them in chronological order.

Make sure they're part of one album.

All of these^^^

Album Title: YYYY/MM/DD City Name, State

This makes finding things so much easier without needing to sort anything. Definitely do it this way.

It's funny, it took me a long time to figure this out because there was a lot of information I wanted to include in the title (like the name of the venue), but in the end I just abandoned it because, lets face it, after a certain point in their career it no longer was relevant where they played. Sure it's cool to refer to the "Slim's" show or the "Soldier Field" show, but does anyone care about the "T.D. Bankcorp" show or the "Wachovia" show?

There will always be shows of note like "The Vic" or "Benaroya Hall" or "The Borgata" or "Shepherds Bush" but they are now so few-and-far-between that they are easy to remember without jacking up your entire library naming convention.

Just my $0.02.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard