Family dog killed after trying to save dying owner

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Figured I'd add to the dog theme around here.... Sad story...

Family dog killed after trying to save dying owner

Cleveland, OH - It appears that breed misconceptions may, yet again, have contributed to the euthanasia of a beloved family dog.

According to a recent story in the News-Messenger, faulty assumptions caused the death of a loyal companion that valiantly tried to save his dying owner.

In April, the Cleveland Municipal Court ordered that Zeus, a 140 lb Rottweiler, be euthanized for "the mauling death" of his owner, Carolyn Baker.

Baker, aged 63, was found dead in her driveway in February. Authorities assumed that the 140 lb dog had mauled his owner after seeing a few bite marks on her body.

The assumption was wrong. According to Cuyahoga County Coroner, Frank Miller, Carolyn Baker's body did have a few bite marks, and some evidence of pawing, but the woman died from a heart attack and hypothermia, rather than from a vicious dog attack.

According to the coroner, it appears that Baker's dog was trying to help bring his ailing owner inside to safety, hence the paw and bite marks. Rather than a vicious mauling death, the wounds sustained on Baker's body were caused by a frantic pet attempting to drag his beloved owner inside to warmth and safety.

Baker was lying outdoors in the cold for several hours, clothed only in her nightgown. Zeus barked continuously until a neighbor finally came out to see what the problem was.

Zeus paid for his efforts with his life. The 9 yr-old dog was put to death via court order. Carolyn Baker's family now knows the truth, thanks to the coroner's report, and they too believe that Zeus had tried to save Carolyn's life.

One has to wonder what might have happened to the dog if he was a Labrador Retriever, or Standard Poodle....perhaps a bit more investigation before an assumption of "vicious mauling death".
http://www.examiner.com/x-2111-Dog-News ... ying-owner
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    what a sweet dog...and such a sad story.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    as sad as this story is - it shouldn't take a phd to realize she probably didn't die from the dog ... :(
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    polaris_x wrote:
    as sad as this story is - it shouldn't take a phd to realize she probably didn't die from the dog ... :(

it's ohio though!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    marcos wrote:

it's ohio though!!!

wrong answer.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    81 wrote:
    marcos wrote:

it's ohio though!!!

wrong answer.

:lol::lol:
  • What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Sad story.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Humans just completely suck. Why was there a rush to get this dog dead? We are too casual with killing animals.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    Humans just completely suck. Why was there a rush to get this dog dead? We are too casual with killing animals.

I'd say we are too casual with killing humans as well.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    CJMST3K wrote:

I'd say we are too casual with killing humans as well.
    I'd say most people deserve it more than a dog. Dogs are better people, anyway.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • They should have kept the dog in a kennel or something until the truth was known.

Just a few months ago a hunter shot someone's dog in the back for messing up the scents around his tree stand, there was a big fuss about it around here too. He tried to claim self defense until the park rangers confirmed the angle of the shot.
    "Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    This is heartbreaking and yes because he was a Rottie they were quick to judge him and think him to be vicious. We are not only judging each other now we are judging mans best friend! And they can not even speak for themselves. This is just so wrong.
    They should have kept the dog in a kennel or something until the truth was known.

Just a few months ago a hunter shot someone's dog in the back for messing up the scents around his tree stand, there was a big fuss about it around here too. He tried to claim self defense until the park rangers confirmed the angle of the shot.

Would love to have the rangers confirm the shot done to that man... if you know what I mean.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    CJMST3K wrote:
    They should have kept the dog in a kennel or something until the truth was known.

Would love to have the rangers confirm the shot done to that man... if you know what I mean.

You'll appreciate this, Hoff. Countless numbers of wild animals have been killed throughout history after being blamed for killing a human. Now that forensic people have actually looked at the evidence, especially in older cases, they realized that what was just accepted as an attack, was often times really an animal smelling an already dead body and then tracking it down for dinner. And, of course, once they identify the "culprit's" species, they wipe out all of them in the area to make sure they got the right one.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

You'll appreciate this, Hoff. Countless numbers of wild animals have been killed throughout history after being blamed for killing a human. Now that forensic people have actually looked at the evidence, especially in older cases, they realized that what was just accepted as an attack, was often times really an animal smelling an already dead body and then tracking it down for dinner. And, of course, once they identify the "culprit's" species, they wipe out all of them in the area to make sure they got the right one.

One more reason I wish hunting were opened up to the human-animal. I'd have a field day with a 30-06 rifle.

In my town here there's a botanical garden that also has a very small children's zoo. They have 2 bears.

A few years ago, a kid maybe 5 or 10 years old climbed over a huge fence (with his parent watching) and reached his hand inside the second fence. The bear scratched him or bit him. Not a major injury, but it sounds like blood was drawn.

What did the park and local officials do?

They killed both bears. They wanted to see if the bear which bit the kid who hopped over a fence, and stuck his hand thru the fence, all while the parent was watching had rabies. And since they didn't know which of the two bears it was... oh, fuck it, kill 'em both.

I say, if they were worried about the kid getting rabies, give the kid the shots.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    CJMST3K wrote:
    One more reason I wish hunting were opened up to the human-animal. I'd have a field day with a 30-06 rifle.

In my town here there's a botanical garden that also has a very small children's zoo. They have 2 bears.

A few years ago, a kid maybe 5 or 10 years old climbed over a huge fence (with his parent watching) and reached his hand inside the second fence. The bear scratched him or bit him. Not a major injury, but it sounds like blood was drawn.

They killed both bears. They wanted to see if the bear which bit the kid who hopped over a fence, and stuck his hand thru the fence, all while the parent was watching had rabies. And since they didn't know which of the two bears it was... oh, fuck it, kill 'em both.

I say, if they were worried about the kid getting rabies, give the kid the shots.

shouldn't they have killed the parent that allowed their child to climb the fence?
    norm wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

shouldn't they have killed the parent that allowed their child to climb the fence?

CJMST3K wrote:
    :twisted:
    norm wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Feeding the parents to the bears would have seemed the logical conclusion.

CJMST3K wrote:

That is the only hunting expedition I see myself participating in. I'll bring my semi-auto .223... and buck knife.

eyedclaar wrote:

Feeding the parents to the bears would have seemed the logical conclusion.

Which would make people more fearful of the bears.

I think they should feed the parents to the CHILD, South Park/Cartman style.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104191
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    CJMST3K wrote:

oh my fucking god.
    this reminds me of an incident a little while back here in b.c.

some idiot was feeding a bear blueberry muffins and the bear kept coming back.
    one day a lady who was gardening saw the bear and freaked out. the logical thing is to go inside your house and call animal control. but what does she do? she throws rocks at it.
    the bear got scared and ran away into a yard, where neighbours cornered it.
    the only way out was through the woman standing in the wa, so h attacked her and tried to flee. t

the bear got killed, naturally, the woman - bloody and bruised, was shown on tv ad EVERYONE gave her a flood of sympathy for her ordeal - which she led everyone to believe was an unprovoked attack in her yard... so she not only hd a beaer killed but started a media hype about how "dangerous" bears are. I think 2 bears died in weeks afterbecause they had been spotted in "human" territory.

I only know the true story because I talked to a conservation officer at he bear conservation habitat on one of the local mountains.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    here locally where I live, a Pit bull was shot and killed by police officers- simply for trying to protect his owners.

apparently the police had a warrant to arrest someone at the house. It sent numerous officers to the residence, and during this time the dog rightfully tried to defend its house/owners and rushed towards the officers. One of the officers fired a shot at the dog, killing it instantly. It's sad to know the dog got killed for simply trying to protect his family.
  • AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    WTF?! Some people really are just plain dumb.
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    here locally where I live, a Pit bull was shot and killed by police officers- simply for trying to protect his owners.

apparently the police had a warrant to arrest someone at the house. It sent numerous officers to the residence, and during this time the dog rightfully tried to defend its house/owners and rushed towards the officers. One of the officers fired a shot at the dog, killing it instantly. It's sad to know the dog got killed for simply trying to protect his family.

Without knowing all of the details, I'm kinda on the fence about that one... if the cops had a legit warrant, and the guy they were after was a bad guy, what choice did they have? Leave and let the criminal go? Get attacked by the dog? I feel bad for the dog for not knowing that it's owner was a scumbag, and he was just protecting his house, but the criminal put him in that position.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Similar story. Last week a woman was shot in the back while walking with her granddaughter along a local creek. The idiot that shot her was floating down the creek shooting at birds. Shooting at birds! In June! It's nesting season - no hunting season in Western Kentucky for birds. The woman was seriously injured and had to be flown to Vanderbilt I think. Anyway, local officials called it an "accidental shooting." Nothing will happen to the guy. I don't get it. Some freakin' idiot is killing something he shouldn't be killing just for the fun of it and he recklessly injures someone and everyone writes it off as an accident!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553

Without knowing all of the details, I'm kinda on the fence about that one... if the cops had a legit warrant, and the guy they were after was a bad guy, what choice did they have? Leave and let the criminal go? Get attacked by the dog? I feel bad for the dog for not knowing that it's owner was a scumbag, and he was just protecting his house, but the criminal put him in that position.

I see your point, BRY, but they do have other options especially if they're executing a warrant to arrest. Animal Control can snare the dog, or if they had to they could dart the dog with a sedative. Maybe the urgency in this situation was different, but I'm thinking maybe they could have waited. But it seems like people don't give pit bulls a chance.

Most unfair. We'd call that racial profiling if it was a human.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Similar story. Last week a woman was shot in the back while walking with her granddaughter along a local creek. The idiot that shot her was floating down the creek shooting at birds. Shooting at birds! In June! It's nesting season - no hunting season in Western Kentucky for birds. The woman was seriously injured and had to be flown to Vanderbilt I think. Anyway, local officials called it an "accidental shooting." Nothing will happen to the guy. I don't get it. Some freakin' idiot is killing something he shouldn't be killing just for the fun of it and he recklessly injures someone and everyone writes it off as an accident!
    Surely that should be some sort of criminal negligence?
    Even people who don't give 2 cents about animals whould agree he should have been charged
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    haffajappa wrote:
    Surely that should be some sort of criminal negligence?
    Even people who don't give 2 cents about animals whould agree he should have been charged

You would think so, but didn't happen. The woman could probably sue for negligence in civil court and ask for money damages, but he probably doesn't have any.

I was involved in a similar incident a month or so ago. I was at our property in the country letting our dogs run when I heard a shot and then the whizz of the bullet as it went by my head. I think it was probably my no good for nothing - no job - cousin out shooting at things on his property and not paying attention as to safety. When I was young I was sitting out in the yard sunning one day when someone who didn't have permission was squirrel hunting in our woods (I didn't know it until they shot their gun). I heard two shots and then I heard that distinctive noise of a bullet coming by. Both shells hit the shed behind me. But there is no use complaining because nothing will be done. As long as you weren't intentionally out to shoot somebody nothing will happen. It's like recklessness is allowed.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi