Job Interview Advice/Tips

peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I have a job interview Thursday and I haven't been on an interview in about 6 years. It will be a casual setting but I'm still a bit nervous.

Specifically, if asked, I'm not quite sure how to answer as to why I'm leaving my current job. The truth is that I HATE it here and that is mostly due to poor management and lack of communication between the employees and the bosses but I don't think I should really say it that way!

I'm sure you good people have some advice/tips. Not just for my specific question but in general as well
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Be honest. Employers tend to understand that other companies are sometimes shitty places to work. Oh, I am an HR professional... when I'm not wrestling bears.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    be honest and confident and show up prepared ... do a little research on the company ... also, don't be shy in letting some of your personality get out ... sometimes its more than your qualifications ... they might hire you just because you mentioned you like to eat crab cakes ...

as for your specific question ... say, you feel like opportunities to grow are limited at that company ...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I landed a sweet, high paying gig a couple years back. For it, I actually interviewed with eight separate people in two days.

Three things I'd suggest...

1) Take anything you might think is "negative" (Ex: leaving your current job because you hate it) and spin it into a positive note.

2) Be extremely confident in yourself, but not cocky.

3) Keep talking about the company and position you are interviewing for, and what you're going to bring to the table and mostly...how it benefits them.

Good luck!!!!! :)
  • RK202995RK202995 Posts: 11
    It may be the truth, but definitely do not bad mouth your current job or company to your prospective employer. They do not want to hear your problems, and it will come off like you have a bad attitude, or cannot cope, etc.

There are a few way to position why you are leaving that put things in a much more positive light.

1. Say that you heard good things about the job/company you are interviewing with. Make it so its less about you wanting to leave your current job, and make it more about wanting to be at the new place.

2. If the new role has new challenges, or opportunities to utilize a different skill set, you can position your move as a chance to do something new / to flex different muscles (so to speak).

Basically frame your response to demonstrate your desire to improve yourself and/or your surroundings.
    Is the new company offering more money? That's a reason to give
    Does the new company offer better benefits? That's a reason to give

If you are making a lateral move with no other benefits, than maybe think more about why you are leaving. If you really are leaving because your current position is that bad, just get creative with your response - but always stay positive. (Plus you never want to burn a bridge if you don't have to....) Good luck!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Don't worry about being a little nervous. It's normal and it's expected. Try to focus on preparing for the interview; that will increase your confidence.

My last job TOTALLY SUCKED but when I interviewed a couple of months ago for my new job, I described how I was in a job that was all wrong for me and my skills and temperament didn't fit the responsibilities. I skipped over the part about how management was incompetent, work conditions were terrible, salaries were low, and other staff were getting out of there like rats off the Titanic.

I don't usually go for books like this but during my recent job search I got a lot of really good ideas from Fired to Hired by Tory Johnson. It's mostly for people who are unemployed but she has lots of suggestions I'd never thought of, like how to use social networking in your job search. She's also very upbeat, with ideas about how to stay positive when the job search (or your current job) is getting you down.

Good luck!
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    thanks all! good advice and tips, plus you've given me some things to work with/think about

RK202995 wrote:
    It may be the truth, but definitely do not bad mouth your current job or company to your prospective employer. They do not want to hear your problems, and it will come off like you have a bad attitude, or cannot cope, etc.

that's why I was looking for some advice on what to say about leaving because I know not to this - very bad idea!

especially since I work within the legal field and everyone at the offices in town knows everyone else and word gets around fast and one of my bosses is pretty well known and respected.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i always say that i'm looking for a new challenge. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Some good advice here

I hear one good thing is to take notes when the new employer is talking about the company you're applying for

HR Directors get off on that kinda shit

I even picked out your clothes for the big day

wtwn_job_interviewr.jpg

Remember don't be too hot or they wont hire you

Good Luck
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    walk into the interview calm and collective.
    smash your axe down on their desk.
    as you sit down, put your feet up.
    tell 'em that you're now runnin' the show.
    that's how you get hired.

give them your resume'.
    make sure you have burnt down plenty of villages and have references to back your claim.
    same with seaworthiness.
    be sure you can navigate the ocean by way of reading stars.
    references references references.
    then when you're done eating the turkey leg you brought along for lunch, throw it over your shoulder and burp.

i would hire you on the stop.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    Some good advice here

I hear one good thing is to take notes when the new employer is talking about the company you're applying for

wtwn_job_interviewr.jpg

Good Luck

Cute outfit ;)
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    DON'T
    SAY
    ANYTHING.

don't smile. don't blink. don't even acknowledge the interviewer's presence. just go in. sit down. shut up. and stare straight ahead.

the interviewer will be impressed by your stick-to-itiveness.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Will ya sh, shut your mouth? Shut your mouth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-j_LSWM_A
  • SarahLouSarahLou Posts: 175
    I went for an interview today, and read this online...thought it made some good point

http://career-advice.monster.com/job-se ... x?key=ptl1

Everything that everyone has said is REALLY good advice though, think i'll be taking notes!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    SarahLou wrote:
    I went for an interview today, and read this online...thought it made some good point

http://career-advice.monster.com/job-se ... x?key=ptl1

Everything that everyone has said is REALLY good advice though, think i'll be taking notes!

did you follow my tips?
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Some good advice here

wtwn_job_interviewr.jpg

Good Luck

Cute outfit ;)

I like the pumps myself

:D

Although I like open toed shoes on girls but I wouldn't recommend them in an interview
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • BlahBlah Posts: 469