so got a new dog

mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
and I am struggling with how to teach her how to roll over. I have gotten all the other simple commands but struggle with rolling over. Any Pearl Jam dog experts out there?
that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
- Joe Rogan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    wrap dog in carpet ... let loose on top of a hill ... retrieve dog at bottom ...

give dog biscuit and say "good dog"!!

uhhh, seriosly tho ... i had a shih-tzu and that dog could learn tricks in a day ... assuming you have lie down figured out ... try a sideways lie down ... then take a treat while she's on her side and tease her with it kinda making her roll over ... and just keep repeating hand signals and words ... as you can see i'm no expert but i think that's what i did way back when ...
  • mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    polaris_x wrote:
    wrap dog in carpet ... let loose on top of a hill ... retrieve dog at bottom ...

give dog biscuit and say "good dog"!!

uhhh, seriosly tho ... i had a shih-tzu and that dog could learn tricks in a day ... assuming you have lie down figured out ... try a sideways lie down ... then take a treat while she's on her side and tease her with it kinda making her roll over ... and just keep repeating hand signals and words ... as you can see i'm no expert but i think that's what i did way back when ...

thanks, she is pretty smart about every thing else, have even taught her to go to her kennel from anywhere in the house by saying "go to your room". it is pretty awesome. I have never had a dog before and am loving it.
    But I feel like I am screwing something up with roll over, i think i was doing too much. I am gonna try it your way and see what happens. thanks again
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    - Joe Rogan
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    one package of hotdogs and you can train a dog to do anything.
    my brothers and i trained our dog to climb a ladder to get on top of the garage.
    one time i trained a dog to eat lions using a pack of hotdogs.
    get a package of @ least 10 hotdogs.
    what's the dog's name?

also, i've taught a cat to roll my weed for me.
    again... hotdogs.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    my brothers and i trained our dog to climb a ladder to get on top of the garage.
    what's the dog's name?

again... hotdogs.

wheaton terrier named rosie

that is pretty impressive training...do you think hot dogs could get her to weed my garden? or play me in bananagrams but let me win every time?
    - Joe Rogan
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    what's the dog's name?

again... hotdogs.

that is pretty impressive training...do you think hot dogs could get her to weed my garden? or play me in bananagrams but let me win every time?

impressive indeed.
    :mrgreen:

rosie will be fetching up sticks, rolling over, and sniffing other dogs' rear ends before you know it.
    feed her cheesy chili dogs and she will weed your garden.
    disguise weeds to represent chili dogs and chili dogs representing weeds and you'll have yourself
    one incredible garden very much weed free.
    bananagrams?
    im afraid not.
    i've never taught anything to play games.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    mikepegg44 wrote:

My Scottie was half Wheaten, his papa. I love the name Rosie, a favorite. Some good songs for that name ;) Be sure to post pics in the doggie thread she'll have lots of fans :D
    I don't know much about tricks, my dogs have me trained instead!
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    my doggie is pretty smart but never got her to roll over.
    i read once if you get them to lie down on their side, you give them the command, grab their legs and roll them over and then give them a treat and praise them. you keep doing it till they realise what they need to do to get the treat.

not sure if it works cos mine just got pissed off i was disturbing her sleep... i tried it when she was older so.. haha
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    my dog is a genious but I cant get him to do roll over.

The first step is get your dog to go down on his/her stomach for the beginning of the act. My Jack Russell is so stubborn you cant get him to lay down on command even if you press on his shoulders, back, etc...
  • pj.uw.laurapj.uw.laura Posts: 553
    For rolling over, dogs need to be completely comfortable with their environment. My understanding is that in order for a dog to lie on its back, it must completely trust its surroundings, including the people. When we taught our dog to roll over, it was a really slow-going process. We first got her comfortable going from a normal "lay down" position to laying on her side. Then we'd get her to roll onto her back, even if she didn't flip all the way over. After a little bit of work with that, we got her to roll completely over. We praised each step like crazy. Once she got what "roll over" meant, we just practiced that and stopped with the in-between steps. I don't know if that helps or not, but it's all I got!

Good luck.
    For rolling over, dogs need to be completely comfortable with their environment. My understanding is that in order for a dog to lie on its back, it must completely trust its surroundings, including the people. When we taught our dog to roll over, it was a really slow-going process. We first got her comfortable going from a normal "lay down" position to laying on her side. Then we'd get her to roll onto her back, even if she didn't flip all the way over. After a little bit of work with that, we got her to roll completely over. We praised each step like crazy. Once she got what "roll over" meant, we just practiced that and stopped with the in-between steps. I don't know if that helps or not, but it's all I got!

Good luck.

thanks all for the tips,

I will get some pics posted on the other thread soon
    - Joe Rogan
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    We had a Wheaton named Olivia. Sweet as pie, but dumb as a stick.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I can't get my dog to come to me with any reliability. So, my advice would not be something to listen to. :lol:
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    We had a Wheaton named Olivia. Sweet as pie, but dumb as a stick.

that is sounds about right...She seems like the wheels are turning but then just doesn't do anything.

'Sit' now means sit for a second, then lie down, then get back up, only to lay down again...then whine as to why there has not been a treat given.

But for some reason she has mastered peeing by the door and then making noise to go out!
    - Joe Rogan
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Been trying to do this with my dog for a while too...and he's a pretty bright boy...I eventually became content with the fact that he high-fives me when I saw "paw." 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    While watching football if the wife ( ex wife ) was in the kitchen, I would tell my dog " Zillah, go get daddy a beer" and he would run into the kitchen, and sit by the fridge. the wife would then give him a treat and a put a can of beer sideways in his mouth and he would bring it to me. :D

true story. he was awesome and i miss him every damned day !!

and yes, there were times he would get excited and puncture the can and beer would be going everywhere.
    he thought that was great ! :lol:

but to stay on topic, I could never get him or his sister who is still around, to roll over. :roll:
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    the wolf wrote:
    While watching football if the wife ( ex wife ) was in the kitchen, I would tell my dog " Zillah, go get daddy a beer" and he would run into the kitchen, and sit by the fridge. the wife would then give him a treat and a put a can of beer sideways in his mouth and he would bring it to me. :D

true story. he was awesome and i miss him every damned day !!

and yes, there were times he would get excited and puncture the can and beer would be going everywhere.
    he thought that was great ! :lol:

but to stay on topic, I could never get him or his sister who is still around, to roll over. :roll:
    Thanks for sharing, I just got one of the happiest visuals ever... :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2