Options

Ed and Chris Chelios

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Eddie Vedder and Chris Chelios are really good friends. Does anybody know what song Ed wrote for Chris Chelios?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Jam10 wrote:
    Eddie Vedder and Chris Chelios are really good friends. Does anybody know what song Ed wrote for Chris Chelios?
    In 2006 in Detroit he made mention that Chris Chelios was at the side of the stage and then they played comeback saying this was for him. Now I don't know if he wrote it for him or if he was just making a reference to whether the ageless defenceman would comeback for another season and another and another....well you get the point.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    JoWesleyJoWesley Posts: 109
    He actually said it was for him and his wife.
    Aug 93 - Toronto Mar 94 - Ann Arbor
    Sep 96 - Toledo Aug 98 - East Lansing
    Oct 00 - Detroit Apr 03 - Cleveland
    Jun 03 - Detroit May 06 - Grand Rapids & Detroit
    Jul 07 - Lolla Jun 08 - WPB & Tampa
    Vedder: DC 1&2, Chicago 2
  • Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 795
    Comeback was not written for Chris... I stood next to him and Brett Hull at lolla last year. Such a prick. Met him several other times
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    I was at that detroit show, my fanclub seat were right next to the stairway on the main floor. He walked right past me when he and his maybe or g/f came down the stairs and went to backstage.
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    Come Back was written for Johnny Ramone.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    In 2006 in Detroit he made mention that Chris Chelios was at the side of the stage and then they played comeback saying this was for him. Now I don't know if he wrote it for him or if he was just making a reference to whether the ageless defenceman would comeback for another season and another and another....well you get the point.

Ya he was DEDICATING the song to him....not that he WROTE the song for him. I think Cheli requested that Ed play the song.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,548
    joebot wrote:
    Come Back was written for Johnny Ramone.

actually it was written from the perspective of Johnny's wife,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I have heard that Cheli has quite a standoffish personality, so this doesn't surprise me.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    pjfan85pjfan85 Posts: 124
    Chelios brought Ed to his first NHL game in Vancouver.

They worked at gas stations across the street from each other in San Diego. They had similar childhoods, both splitting time between Chicago and San Diego.

Chelios told the story about how they met on ESPN.com a while ago. They were at a bar in Chicago and Chelios was like "hey, I know you, right?". And Eddie was like "Probably, I sing for Pearl Jam". Chelios knew who Pearl Jam was, but he said "No, I know you from somewhere else". Later that night, Chelios figured it out and Eddie remembered him from San Diego.
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    voodoopug wrote:
    I have heard that Cheli has quite a standoffish personality, so this doesn't surprise me.

I played hockey with his cousin in college. I met Tselios (changed his name due to mistakes) many times. Chris is a good guy and his mom is really nice. She use to give us free chili at his old chili bar by the United Center before the games.
  • Options
    Comeback was not written for Chris... I stood next to him and Brett Hull at lolla last year. Such a prick. Met him several other times

Agree with that for Hull.... When he was on the Blues in 97 I went to a St. Louis Blues Dinner. I was 13. He sat at our table and got tanked. It was a charity event. I asked him to sign a program from a game I went to in 93 where I had a 103 fever and still went to see the blues play the kings in a furious snow storm. Apparently I pushed my luck when I asked him to sign my jersey. He told me I was just there to make money off his name.

I then became a bigger baseball fan.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    pjfan85 wrote:
    Chelios brought Ed to his first NHL game in Vancouver.

They worked at gas stations across the street from each other in San Diego. They had similar childhoods, both splitting time between Chicago and San Diego.

Chelios told the story about how they met on ESPN.com a while ago. They were at a bar in Chicago and Chelios was like "hey, I know you, right?". And Eddie was like "Probably, I sing for Pearl Jam". Chelios knew who Pearl Jam was, but he said "No, I know you from somewhere else". Later that night, Chelios figured it out and Eddie remembered him from San Diego.

that is interesting if it's true.

I still play competitive hockey and I know many other amateur players are big PJ fans. Curious of any other Pro Hockey Players who are fans or 10C memebers. If you know of any please post I would be very interested.
  • Options
    THE BANDTHE BAND Posts: 83
    Not a hockey player but Dale Earnhardt jr is a big time fan. he was listening to them before an interview during a rain delay last season.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    If you read the latest Esquire, there is an article that links much of Ed's friends together. There is this piece about a 75 year old ex marine who has this crazy workout routine that many people follow, including
    Laird Hamilton
    Chris Chelios
    Tim Cummerford (Rage Against the Machine)
    Dr. Cox/Bob Slydell (actor guy)
    and Ed Vedder.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    G-force wrote:
    that is interesting if it's true.

I still play competitive hockey and I know many other amateur players are big PJ fans. Curious of any other Pro Hockey Players who are fans or 10C memebers. If you know of any please post I would be very interested.
    Off the top of my head...
    Doug Gilmour met Eddie and had a guitar autographed. I've heard him say that Pearl Jam are his favourite band.

Jocelyn Thibault is a fan.

On "Be a Player" (hockey show in Canada years ago) they had Jose Theodore playing songs on guitar and the host, Brett Lindros, had to guess which song he was playing. Lindros spotted "Corduroy" immediately, so I'd imagine they are both at least casual fans.

Brad Stuart of the Red Wings is a HUGE fan. He is a tenclub member.

I've seen Marc-Andre Bergeron wearing a Pearl Jam in interviews.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    If there is a song written for Chris Chelios it would have to be the most bad-ass song in the world because he is the toughest athlete I've ever seen.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Ed is also said to be great friends with Brian Leetch .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    I went to a local Greek festival with Chris Chelios' family. His mom is sweet and didn't yell at us for having too much Ouzo\Retsina. His sister and I were laughing, dancing and pretty much having a blast - Grecian style. Chris was to attend the event but had to stay in Canada. The folks were looking forward to seeing him - but 'stuff' just happens.
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    If there is a song written for Chris Chelios it would have to be the most bad-ass song in the world because he is the toughest athlete I've ever seen.
    He beat up Teemu Selanne, he has to be tough.
  • Options
    GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    F@ck Chelios!
  • Options
    GoBucky wrote:
    F@ck Chelios!
    well said.
  • Options
    GoBucky wrote:
    F@ck Chelios!
    He comes from a very nice family - what do you think happend?
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • Options
    I saw Brent Barry at a show. Laura Dern, Meg Ryan Tim robbins videod me.
    Pete sampras.

Ok cant remember anymore.

Ive seen Stone Gossard at every show. now there a cool cat
  • Options
    From Espn: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=amber_david&id=2705498

Q: You also are friends with Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder. Is he a big hockey fan?

A: Absolutely not. He went to his first game last year in Vancouver. He's watched a few games on television. He watched me win the Cup in Detroit in 2002 on TV. As we've become good friends, he has started to follow the game a little more, but no, he wasn't a hockey fan. He grew up in Chicago on the North Side and moved to San Diego as a teen. Funny thing is, we grew up surfing in the same place in San Diego and I actually knew Eddie before he was Eddie Vedder the "rock star." It's pretty crazy.

Q: So, you've been friends since you were teenagers?

A: Not exactly. Like 25 years ago, he moved to Seattle and I moved to Moose Jaw, and we never spoke again for more than 10 years. Then, one night, he is out with Dennis Rodman in Chicago at a restaurant, and we're staring at each other, and he says "I know you," and I said, "What's your name?" He says "Eddie," and I say "I think I know you from San Diego." He didn't know me as Chris Chelios the hockey player, and even at the restaurant, I didn't realize he was Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam. I am a Pearl Jam fan, but his hair was different and I never imagined Eddie Vedder being that small. He's probably about 5-foot-4. So, one of the security guards comes up and says, "That's Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam." I was like, "Jesus, now I remember, we worked at the gas station across the street from each other." It was really a crazy situation how we met after all those years of not talking.
  • Options
    thats a cool story, but i'm still pissed chelios took roy's record the other night.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time