Options

PJ without the vocals...

2»

Comments

• Options
    some interesting posts here, but to be honest, everyone in this band is very talented and they've been around for as long as they have because they gel together. jeff could go to a different band that the bass sticks out and be a beast, but for now he plays in pearl jam, and we shouldn't question the bands talent when the music they make is amazing.
    Now it seems like too much love, is never enough.

MSG 2 5-21-10
    Eddie Vedder Beacon 2 6-22-11
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,267
    DewieCox wrote:
    I think Stone is the better technical guitarist.

Speed isn't technical.

Stuff that Stone writes/play has alot more musical depth than what Mike and Eddie play. His chord choices are almost always a little funky. He plays more in the pocket. His solos always have twice the dynamic sexiness of a Mike solo. When there's something kinda off or strange about the guitar in a song, it's Stone.

Jeff is solid, but he blends in soo much. I agree he doesn't stand out as much as Flea or Entwistle, and I would even go a step further and say John Paul Jones. Very little flash comin from Jeff, but always tasty.

Exactly!
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Anyone who can come up with a riff like "Alive" is talented.
    Anyone who can write the music of "Jeremy" is talented.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    I dig Stones playinng more than Mike. i mean... aren't like 50% of Mikes solos sort of... cheesy?

As a guitarist myself, I can I find Stone's work to be much more creative and which has more stylistic characteristics.

I'm not bashing Mike at all when I say this, but he really doesn't stand up to the guitar greats (living or dead). There is no question the guy can play a fast solo, but if you break it down and examine what he's playing...it's all really basic stuff. Mike is really in love with his basic "box" blues scales. If you look at his solos for many of the songs he plays, they are essentially all in the same basic blues scale form, and rarely does he deviate from the main key of the tune. He plays up and down approx 3 boxes for most of his solo work.
    Don't get me wrong, I will never be able to hit those scales at the speed he does, but I believe most guitarists will agree what he's doing isn't very "ground breaking".

Where PJ really shines, is their ability to play well off eachother. Granted, they don't have the "depth" of many bands, but they seem to know their parts and their roles extremely well...and that comes out in the live setting really well.

Just my 2.
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    mca47 wrote:
    They def play well together, but there are guitarists/musicians out there now (some famous and some not) who are far more talented.

There are....but they rarely sound as good as PJ.....It´s an awesome combination ....
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    maybe Pearl Jam elevator music someday :D
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    ...is like the Last Supper without Jesus :)
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I dig Stones playinng more than Mike. i mean... aren't like 50% of Mikes solos sort of... cheesy?

As a guitarist myself, I can I find Stone's work to be much more creative and which has more stylistic characteristics.

I'm not bashing Mike at all when I say this, but he really doesn't stand up to the guitar greats (living or dead). There is no question the guy can play a fast solo, but if you break it down and examine what he's playing...it's all really basic stuff. Mike is really in love with his basic "box" blues scales. If you look at his solos for many of the songs he plays, they are essentially all in the same basic blues scale form, and rarely does he deviate from the main key of the tune. He plays up and down approx 3 boxes for most of his solo work.
    Don't get me wrong, I will never be able to hit those scales at the speed he does, but I believe most guitarists will agree what he's doing isn't very "ground breaking".

Where PJ really shines, is their ability to play well off eachother. Granted, they don't have the "depth" of many bands, but they seem to know their parts and their roles extremely well...and that comes out in the live setting really well.

Just my 2.

Mike and Stone are both very talented players. To decide which one is better is a dumb argument as they both serve different purposes in the band and have completely different styles. This is why they compliment each other so well.

I agree with you about Mike though. Most of Mikes solo's sound very, very similiar. As a guitar player myself, He does tend to stay in the "box" you speak of. Granted, I cannot play nearly as fast as Mike so I certainly don't have a soap box anywhere nearby.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I would love it if the band came up with some big instrumentals! Other than Brother w/o vocals, they don't have any, do they? I bet they could come up with something that kicks everyone's ass and become a concert standard. Make it some kind of long jam, so they don't have to play Even Flow or Porch every night to give Eddie his much needed break from singing. Not that I can or should tell Pearl Jam what to do, but that's what I would do. :mrgreen:

As for the talent debate... Stone is the fucking Man and you gotta love all the different ways he rips it up on DTE, but only Mike can shred my soul apart and put it back together again within a single guitar solo.

I'm so glad Matt is with Pearl Jam. He is far and away their best drummer. He brings power and finesse. He's a heavy metal jazzman and his drumming is just the fucking balls. The fucking balls. You haven't heard that phrase since 1998, but I said it anyway. Remember Corduroy before Matt? Ha. He sounds better every year, and he keeps surprising me. Every project he's ever been in is gold. I really hope the Wellwater Conspiracy tour again.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    mca47 wrote:

Just my 2.

How music sounds and makes you feel is much more important than how difficult it is for the performer to make the music.

Note: this is not a dig at you, mca47, just making a point I think you would agree with. Thanks for the good information. As someone with very limited musical knowledge it was very interesting.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

How music sounds and makes you feel is much more important than how difficult it is for the performer to make the music.

Note: this is not a dig at you, mca47, just making a point I think you would agree with. Thanks for the good information. As someone with very limited musical knowledge it was very interesting.

I agree. While PJ may not encompass the greatest collection of musicians, they do have some amazing talent.
    That talent has allowed them to be one of the best rock bands of the generation, and one of (if not THE) best live rock band of the generation.

You're right - what they've got is something truly special!
  • Options
    Foldback, Thunderclap, and Harmony are some instrumentals from the TBD 2000 dvd.

www.gremmie.net (under "patchwork" click touing band 2000 link)

IMO, Stone plays more interesting guitar than Mike. I could care less about speedy solos all the time. Stone creates some pretty cool riffs.