I want to learn to surf

NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Should I actually take surfing lessons from someone? Unfortunately, I live two hours away from the NJ shore and can't get there every day, but I want to take a week this summer and learn as much as I can...something I've always wanted to do for me. Where to begin? size board for beginners? Any hints, tricks or references to someone in the NJ shore area?
"Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
"Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I've been thinking about taking lessons myself... :mrgreen:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I learned on an "egg" board. They are usually 8 feet long but your weight and height will factor in a little. The egg board gives you the stability of a long board (they are a little thicker) with better maneuverability. I would not suggest getting anything smaller then 7'-6.

If you are not used to open ocean, I would highly recommend getting a boogie board and spending several afternoons just getting used to the rhythm of the ocean. Good luck!
  • VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    Witchs Rock Surf Camp in Costa Rica!
    Went there for my 40th last year to learn to surf. Not only did I get up on the board the first day, but I had one of the best vacations of my life. It's so low key and relaxed, staff is great and the people we met were friendly and fun. Check out their web site. It's worth the trip!!
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Jason P wrote:
    I learned on an "egg" board. They are usually 8 feet long but your weight and height will factor in a little. The egg board gives you the stability of a long board (they are a little thicker) with better maneuverability. I would not suggest getting anything smaller then 7'-6.

If you are not used to open ocean, I would highly recommend getting a boogie board and spending several afternoons just getting used to the rhythm of the ocean. Good luck!

I agree.
    Unfortunatley also, surfing is the kind of thing you have to do a lot to be good at it. I suck and I surf all the time. Well, as much as I can -- waves arent that great in South Florida. My only other addition is that you have to find a good spot too. I live near three or four good spots and they are always different depending on the wind and the tides. I found one spot that breaks good and It's never very crowded either.

good luck!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    Thanks to all! I will most definitely check out the surf camp in Costa Rica...HONEY!! Change of plans for this year's vacation..wish me luck getting HIM to go along - my family things I'm nuts, but it's what I 've always wanted to do. Thanks again!
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I say go for it !!!!!!!!! I have plans on taking some surfing lessons myself - and I really don't care if everyone around me thinks its crazy. Have fun and let us know if you go through with it. Enjoy :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    nypj & mikalina...
    why do your family members think you're nuts for wanting to surf?
    i'm sorry but that is ridiculous.

i vote you throw bison shit at them.
    see if they like that.

:mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    VinylGirl wrote:
    Witchs Rock Surf Camp in Costa Rica!
    Went there for my 40th last year to learn to surf. Not only did I get up on the board the first day, but I had one of the best vacations of my life. It's so low key and relaxed, staff is great and the people we met were friendly and fun. Check out their web site. It's worth the trip!!

i wish i would have known of this place when in rica. i'm too annoyed by local surfers near my home to even try.
    this camp sounds cool. i'm all about low key.

looks like i found my next vacay..thanks
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    blondie blue is the queen of the surf....

anybody seen her lately?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    chadwick wrote:
    nypj & mikalina...

see if they like that.

Hi Chad - Maybe its because I'm always doing something crazy :D I like your idea of the bison shit- I think I'll try that. :lol:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    mikalina wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    nypj & mikalina...

see if they like that.

Hi Chad - Maybe its because I'm always doing something crazy :D I like your idea of the bison shit- I think I'll try that. :lol:
    must be a very mild mannered family you have there.
    i vote for beer keg parties, fights in the front yard, dirt clod war, and lots of gunfire.

oh... and lots of surfing.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    mikalina wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    nypj & mikalina...

see if they like that.

Don't listen to him...he only does what his Rice Krispies tell him...