The ending of The Sopranos....

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Do you think Tony gets killed?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    yes. he's dead.

the whole last episode served as a catholic funeral for him.
    www.myspace.com
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    only 1 reply, thanks Jeagler.
    To the rest of you....stugats! arivedici! 8-)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    To hell with Tony. I want to know how Silvio is doing.
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    I thought so... but I talked about this with a Soprano's "buff" and she thought that idea was crazy...
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    I thought so... but I talked about this with a Soprano's "buff" and she thought that idea was crazy...

i am a huge sopranos fan and i think he's dead. that's what is so great about the ambiguous ending. there are so many theories about what happened...
    www.myspace.com
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Do you think Tony gets killed?

For some reason I read this as "The ending of The Simpsons" and thought "Tony" was Fat Tony.

fat_tony_full.gif

10:30am is too early for me...
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    Chase [creator, producer] later commented "I wasn't going to do this, but somebody said it would be a good idea if we said something about that ending. I really wasn't going to go into it, but I'll just say this...when I was going to Stanford University's graduate film school and was 23 [years old], I went to see Planet of the Apes with my wife. When it was over, I said, 'Wow...so they had a Statue of Liberty, too.'"[39]

Well that's fucking ambiguous. Does that mean that we ALL have the wrong idea about what happened? You know... cause they were on earth the whole time in "Apes" so he was confused about the WHOLE THING...

Is Chase saying that we're all confused about the entire project? That would mean the "he died" camp AND the "he lives" camp are both wrong... so he's in purgatory? Nooooooooo not another freaking "Lost" theme...

Dammit I want answers!
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I was disappointed at the ending

I wanted to at least see Meadow's boobies before the series ended
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825

Oh man do I miss Meadow...
  • I don't think he died. the Journey song playing over the end meant something, I think, and it was that Tony;s life just went on and on like that. Never having closure but also never really rewarding, or terrible, or anything. I think he just went on being one of those Mafia dudes that is 80-something and in a wheelchair before the cops ever pin anything on him.
    "Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    He's dead. this article is great but it makes me feel like I don't know how to watch TV.

http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/t ... f-the-end/

Also, The Wire was a much better show that the Sopranos. Check it out on Netflix if you didn't see it
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    The Fixer wrote:
    He's dead. this article is great but it makes me feel like I don't know how to watch TV.

Also, The Wire was a much better show that the Sopranos. Check it out on Netflix if you didn't see it

Shit, this article is really good. I'm sold now.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    The Fixer wrote:

Sheesh. :wtf:
    What is that, a master's thesis? :think:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • I don't think he died. the Journey song playing over the end meant something, I think, and it was that Tony;s life just went on and on like that. Never having closure but also never really rewarding, or terrible, or anything. I think he just went on being one of those Mafia dudes that is 80-something and in a wheelchair before the cops ever pin anything on him.

I agree with this. I think the last scene was showing us how a mob boss is living every moment in a stessful, paranoid state. Always surveying the scene, trying to have eyes in the back of his head.

And the Journey song says "it goes on and on and on and on".

I'll have to read that article posted in this thread, but dont have time right now.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    As Meadow runs to the restaurant door, he looks up and the show ends.
    It's in time with Meadow running to the door.
    But then again there was a creepy looking dude sitting at the front counter looking at Tony.
    Could he have pulled a gun at the same time?

If someone did kill him, who?
    Phil Leotardo is dead, his crew is decimated and turned on him.
    Who would be behind it?

I wish Meadow did do a nude scene and that AJ was successful in his suicide attempt.
    Shame that Bobby died.
    I don't think he died. the Journey song playing over the end meant something, I think, and it was that Tony;s life just went on and on like that. Never having closure but also never really rewarding, or terrible, or anything. I think he just went on being one of those Mafia dudes that is 80-something and in a wheelchair before the cops ever pin anything on him.

I agree with this. I think the last scene was showing us how a mob boss is living every moment in a stessful, paranoid state. Always surveying the scene, trying to have eyes in the back of his head.

I'll have to read that article posted in this thread, but dont have time right now.

it is a great read. i remember purusing it a few years ago after the finale aired. there is another article that goes to great lenghts to point out all the evidence that chase made entire episode into a catholic funeral for tony. i cant remember much of it now. if i find it, i'll post it.

he's dead!
    www.myspace.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I dont care if he is dead or not.

The show sucked after the 2nd season and the only reason I watched it was to see how it ended. A blank screen told me one thing for sure, Chase is a copout. If he lives, end the series with him smoking a cigar with a satisfied look on his face.... if he dies, a blank screen with a gunshot would be fine. The way it ended was just stupid, as was the majority of the series.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I dont care if he is dead or not.

The show sucked after the 2nd season and the only reason I watched it was to see how it ended. A blank screen told me one thing for sure, Chase is a copout. If he lives, end the series with him smoking a cigar with a satisfied look on his face.... if he dies, a blank screen with a gunshot would be fine. The way it ended was just stupid, as was the majority of the series.

incorrect.
    www.myspace.com
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    so after all those episodes, plot lines, etc... , some guy in a Members Only Jacket kills Tony at the end.....
  • OK, I've read the first part of the linked article and skimmed some of the rest and I'm convinced.

Basically:
    The last scene sets up a pattern: Tony looks up, we see his point of view, tony looks down. When he looks up and the point of view is black, he's dead. The guy in the Members Only jacket is clearly watching Tony but Tony stops watching him.

Several times that season the guys discussed how "you never hear it coming".

Meadow's trouble parking leaves Tony's side clear for a shot from the bathroom. Most everyone who got shot late in the series gets it from a "blind side" or in the back of the head.

I don;t know if I buy all the stuff about taking communion or tying back to the scenes from Tony's coma but it might be so.
    "Money is no object," I said, "but I am on a budget."
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    I don't think he died. the Journey song playing over the end meant something, I think, and it was that Tony;s life just went on and on like that. Never having closure but also never really rewarding, or terrible, or anything. I think he just went on being one of those Mafia dudes that is 80-something and in a wheelchair before the cops ever pin anything on him.

That is sort of what I thought. The black screen is just our view into Tony's life ending, like in those pay binoculars where they just suddenly go to black when your time is up. And like the above poster and Journey says, the movie never ends it goes on....

Although part of me does think it was a copout on Chase's part. Like if he ever needs money, he can easily write a Soprano's movie and just say that Tony didn't get killed.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

Oh man do I miss Meadow...

I was an arms length away from her at the MSGII show

She was walking out after the show..very petite
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Nothing in the final episode leads you to believe that Tony is dead. I agree with the theory that all the suspicious looking people in the diner and Tony always looking up is an indication of his insecurity. He doesn't know who is out to get him. Remember the first season where he gets shot by the black guy while he's holding the OJ container. Or when Junior shot him in Season 6? Perfect examples of why he is on edge. He got shot by his own uncle, so why would he feel comfortable in public? Bobby was killed, Silvio was shot and nearly killed. His whole world was crumbling at that point in the diner. I remember reading an artice where David Chase said that not every show or story needed an ending. The whole series you were rooting for the bad guy (Tony) so why all of a sudden did everyone want to see him die?

Bottom line......there is no definitive evidence that Tony died. I think Chase copped out. Whether he showed Tony dying or not, he was sure to piss off a whole bunch of people. I think he played it safe and didn't discriminate. He just pissed everyone off.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    DON'T STOP! BELIEVE N!!
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.