Apartment lease question..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Is it possible to break an apartment lease, and generally, what are the penalties?

I ask because I may be buying my grandmas condo depending on what happens with her health in coming months.. I also plan on moving out from my roommate soon to get my own place either way. If I sign a twelve month lease would it cost my security deposit to break it?

I suppose its a case by case basis, but is there a general rule of thumb?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Is it possible to break an apartment lease, and generally, what are the penalties?

I ask because I may be buying my grandmas condo depending on what happens with her health in coming months.. I also plan on moving out from my roommate soon to get my own place either way. If I sign a twelve month lease would it cost my security deposit to break it?

I would think you'd lose your security deposit. You'll need to read the actual lease agreement before you sign it. Some of it may be negotiable. May be ask to sign a 6month lease instead?
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Whizbang wrote:
    May be ask to sign a 6month lease instead?
    With my grandmas situation, it could be any day. I suppose I'd just have to explain to the renter the situation before I sign a lease..
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Whizbang wrote:
    May be ask to sign a 6month lease instead?
    With my grandmas situation, it could be any day. I suppose I'd just have to explain to the renter the situation before I sign a lease..

yup. explaining the situation is the best way to go. their response may be different depending on if they own the building (private landlord) or if they are a large rental agency. most agencies won't cut you any slack whatsoever, but the private landlords might. the break lease clause should be in your lease/contract. i believe it's required by law to have it in there. explain your situation & ask how they would like to proceed. you'll probably lose your deposit & may even have to pay a penalty to break your lease. worst case scenario----you'd have to pay rent on the apartment until they lease it out. this happened to a friend of mine---and he tried to challenge it. then they sais (large rental agency) to simply look at his lease...and there it was. he was s.o.l...

good luck!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    are you moving into a new place? why signing a lease? ever apartment i've ever rented i signed a rental agreement when i moved in but after a year it went month to month...are you required to sign a new lease?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i broke mine when i moved out here....they wanted two months rent.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    norm wrote:
    are you moving into a new place? why signing a lease? ever apartment i've ever rented i signed a rental agreement when i moved in but after a year it went month to month...are you required to sign a new lease?
    I'm living with a friend who owns. I'm basically month to month.

His girlfriend is driving me crazy. She never shuts the fuck up. She's only 21 and acts 13. (we're in our early 30s) She is off school for the summer, has no job, no car and just sits around all day watching movies and playing Sims. She doesn't clean or do the dishes after herself. Its really annoying and feels like I'm babysitting. Rent is cheap, and I'm saving a lot, but am losing my patience.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I broke a lease and they came after me for every remaining month until they re-rented it, which they never did. It totally sucked.. Call the people you rent from and ask what they will do. If it is what they did to me, call a lawyer.. There are ways to get out of leases penalty free..

also, If you live in a kind of classy/quiet place, start throwing wild parties and have the cops called a bunch. My friend did this and the apartment complex let him leave early..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13